Weapons

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

That would definitely work for handheld weapons, but I'm not sure you could do it with vehicle-mounted weapons and turrets (since you can't pull them off without disassembling them).

Mix a few rocket launchers in with the minigun barrels, and now we're talking :).

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

Doesn't a mini gun have 5 barrels attached to a front Rotor assembly already?:D

3. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

4. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Oops, I meant 4 of that entire spinning part of the Minigun that fires the Bullets so I could multiply my Firepower by 4, to hell with the fact that i'd multiply my Ammo Consumption by 4 too. :D

5. MechPilot524

MechPilot524 Captain

I love the idea of a weapon that you can build yourself.

I think the system should be something like this: A gun is made of various components. Let's say a stock, chamber, firing mechanism, and barrel. Each of these parts has a requirement and a set of attributes, and when you build an overall gun from these parts, this effectively makes a "custom gun". The parts could be made in the existing constructor, and then assembled in either a constructor or a specialized device such as an Armorer's Workbench (which might be a great place to mount modular weapon attachments - think optics, grips, bipods, tripod mounts). You might need a few more materials to make the pieces of the gun, and it can be of whatever material you choose - wood, metal, plastic raw material.

Think of this: I decide to build this gun out of plastic raw materials. So I craft the Long Barrel, 8.3mm Chamber, Automatic Medium-Caliber Firing Mechanism, and Heavy Stock.
    Explanation of how each of those parts would effect the gun's performance:
    Long barrel - in order to mount one, you must have a stock of some sort. Improves accuracy (once that becomes a thing) and muzzle velocity; for balance purposes has a lower rate of fire than a short barrel (so short barrels are better for CQB). 8.3mm chamber defines the caliber of the bullet, so in this case 8.3mm bullets is what the gun shoots. The greater the bullet caliber, the greater the recoil, also the higher the ammo costs. The firing mechanism has a certain window of calibers it can be built to fire - for example, let's say that the medium-caliber can fire 8.3mm through 12.7mm bullets, whereas a light-caliber would fire 5.7mm, and heavy-caliber would fire 15mm+. The heavier the firing chamber, the slower the rate of fire. Since we have a long barrel, a stock is required. Stocks are simple - heavy stock, light stock, or none at all (sawed-off or pistol). The bigger the stock, perhaps the lesser the movement speed of the player but the greater the recoil control or accuracy.
    As a result we would have a machine-gun, firing relatively damaging bullets (say 70 damage) with a rate of fire of 300-400 RPM and an alright accuracy group.
    But you could go through and build an assortment of weapons using this system - a sawed-off shotgun, a machine pistol, a designated marksman's rifle, etc.

6. Tyrax Lightning

*Imagines building a Minigun that fires the biggest Bullet Caliber... or hell, maybe even the Laser Rifle Ammo so could fire its strength of Shot at a not stupid DPS...* :p

7. Renthrak

Renthrak Ensign

Laser weapon projectiles are too slow. Bullets should not move faster than a laser. Since the bullet weapons appear to be hitscan, I don't know if that is possible. Either way, laser projectiles need to move much faster. Hitting a moving target is excessively difficult.

Also, the Epic Laser Rifle shoots to the right of the crosshair. I haven't confirmed if the regular laser rifle has the same problem.

8. Stoickk

Stoickk Lieutenant

Overall, I am very pleased with the game, and am loving the responsiveness and work ethic of the dev team. This is weapon related, but goes a bit farther. Ground combat overall needs significant work. These are the issues that I see, off the top of my head.

• Small arms should all have iron sights.
    • Crosshairs (if even used) should expand or contract to reflect current accuracy.
    • Movement should apply penalties to accuracy, based on the class of weapon being held.
    • Weapon range data needs a listing for "Current Maximum Range" that updates based on current atmosphere.
    • Hit boxes for several monsters are inaccurate based on visible character model.
    • Players on foot need stance options, crouch and prone at a minimum. Leaning would be nice too.
    • Sentry turrets need to be placeable on terrain like work lights.
    • Need some kind of craftable barrier that can be deployed on terrain. Think sandbags, but more futuristic.
    • Laser should be virtually instantaneous. The speed of light is 299,792,458 meters per second. Lasers are focused light.
    • Laser should be a continuous-beam weapon. Low single shot damage, but lethal if focused on target.
    • Melee combat. This is absolutely vital.
    • Need a portable indirect fire weapon, mortar or similar, deployed like the work light.
    • Weapons in general need a more solid, visceral experience. You need to be able to feel the rifle kicking against your shoulder, and smell the burnt powder in your nose. Recoil, movement animation, muzzle effects, reload animations and more contribute to this feeling. Currently ground weapons just feel... meh...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  9. Guest

Guest Lieutenant

Most weapons seem tad underpowered when used against native fauna. Some more in-depth I wrote about it, together with possible alternatives and solutions to the issue when touching upon enemy toughness in another feedback thread.

In my opinion, melee should be kind of emergency, back-to-wall option. That being said, such option should be available. I wouldn't want much of specific melee weaponry - low tech metal spear and some bigger knife should be all recipes in that category. However, with no alternatives I would like to be able to employ a chainsaw as a decent, quality melee weapon as well with the current drawback of it using fuel. The item sees almost no use, since only rarely player cares to deal with procuring wood, especially by hand.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  10. Cavadus

Cavadus Commander

Tier 1 Sniper Rifle is junk.

Convert it into a Battle Rifle!

1. Increase magazine capacity to 20;
    2. Change ammo type to 8.3mm; and
    3. Rename to "Battle Rifle".

Voila, you know have an excellent and viable medium range rifle which doesn't step on any other early/mid-game weapon's toes.

11. Zedd

Zedd Captain

+1 to all of this, especially wrong hitboxes, instant lasers and melee combat.

I can understand why the Dev's don't want placeable barricades/player turrets everywhere, but it should be ok if it's able to be switched off in MP, or despawned after an adjustable amount of time right?

Stoickk and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  12. Powerlines2000

Powerlines2000 Ensign

Slightly longer leveling time to get to the higher weapons.

13. Tyrax Lightning

I'm sure the speed we can level now is just for easier Late Game Testing & will be changed later.

14. Nerevarine

Nerevarine Ensign

Here is some things that i think would make the game combat feel more responsive.

1.If the weapons on ships could fire sequentially, This would make space combat feel better as there would not be a delay between shots and would look cooler.

2. Is it possible for laser weapons to instead of using an ammo system, use a system of compactors and generators. How this would work is the lasers need compactors to shoot , the compactors have an energy level that are contently being recharged on fighters and Capital ships the more generators the faster it recharges, but it is possible to out shoot the generators ability to recharge. For the laser rifles you would need to use a location that had power. aka ships or bases to recharge.

3. If you could include a beam based weapons to capital ships and fighters like phasers it would make space combat look epic :) .

Zatronium and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. Zilla

Zilla Ensign

I don't like the fact that you can shoot a steel wall like 5 times (2 with shotty) and the wall is destroyed.

16. Guest

Guest Lieutenant

But I like the idea of exchangeable power cells! Without such laser rifles will be rather gimmicky and impractical, unless you'll make their default charge quite powerful and long-lasting - in which case there's no point in adding alternative to the ammo system in the first place.

17. woowoo

woowoo Captain

I would change the T1 pistol we get from the escape pod for a "survival" laser rifle you can upgrade throughout the game, it's your friend.

first, a weapon to protect yourself from wild animals:
    - Scope provided to scout
    - blinding beam (animals flee when hit)
    - bursts (low damage burns, heavy pain)

then lethal mods for pvp:
    - continuous beam to set things on fire
    - lighting, only works in atmosphere with range limitation

upgrades:
    - T1-T3 modulators for increased damage for each mode (burst, continuous, lighting)

Laser are easily countered by shields and light armors with special coating

Kinetics weapons should be more difficult to use, make more damage, go through shields and require high level.

18. Calabris

Calabris Lieutenant

My question is why does the Pulse rifle not have a light on it? Almost all the other weapons do, but I find myself going back to the assault rifle when taking a base at night. Or how about lights on your helmet? Very common in real life as well as in movies. Lights on the helmet would be great instead of having to use the flashlight.

19. Tyrax Lightning

Lights on the Helm &/or the Spacesuit may be later down the road someday. :)

20. Vastin

Vastin Ensign

Found an epic rocket launcher, but despite the name, it feels like I'm beating things with a wet noodle. ;)

It can take out a base turret in 20-30 shots? I'd rather the ammo was a lot more expensive, but actually did some real damage against turrets and SVs, if not to armored structures.

Additionally, this has made me realize that I really would like to be able to see a % of HP left while targeting objects.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016