Weapons

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I quite like the fire-control computer and sensors ideas. Either or both would add a lot of much-needed depth to the design of proper offensive and defensive systems. Plus, concepts like point defense could be tied to these systems existing on a ship and functioning properly.

Ammo (and all cargo) needs to have mass.

Destroyed devices exploding and causing catastrophic chain-reactions would definitely motivate internal hardened partitions and the like.

Excellent ideas all around!

Zedd likes this.
  2. Zedd

Zedd Captain

I especially like this idea. It is silly that you can store ammo of several varieties in one box, and since you can of course everyone does it! No one wants to have all their eggs in one basket.

I also agree that the boxes should hold less ammo. My CV has only ever needed one ammo box for all its guns.

The exploding weapons thing sounds a bit over the top though... (not to mention hard to code)

3. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Lieutenant

I'll agree with that.

It is a bit silly...

Shouldn't be THAT hard.

4. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

Definitely you make a good point.
    I can see any one of them being abused by them selves.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  5. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Lieutenant

You need a higher mass? Tons of Artificial mass blocks!

You need a higher dimensions? Place blocks down at the build limit in every direction!

You need higher size class? Gubbins. Put down a thousand pointless gubbins to kick up your triangle count and get your size class up to 10!

Want to do all three? That's where it starts to get... stupid. And when paired with the other ways to limit will also tend to blow up in your face in a hilarious manner because all three involve tradeoffs.

6. ckulp99

ckulp99 Lieutenant

Bring back CV shooting rocket pods and pulse lasers on planet. Not being able to use this killed pvp in serious pvp servers. Now bases that are built well can not be taken.

7. Zedd

Zedd Captain

I'm struggling to understand what's bad about that.

The whole idea is Base>CV>SV/HV, otherwise what is the point in Bases.

8. ckulp99

ckulp99 Lieutenant

Ok, so how do you raid bases if they are impenetrable? They were still super hard to take with CVs before this update if made correctly and defended but now they are impossible. Do you pvp a lot? If you have new ways to raid bases I would love to hear how to do it; I am always ready to adapt and try new ways of pvping.

9. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Lieutenant

They can repair CV and if they're supposed to be better than CVs... then maybe make them actually be better than CVs rather than simply nerfing CVs to the point of uselessness with nerfs that frankly make zero sense in context.

Here's a good way to do it... give them some building materials that CVs can't use... like say, various higher tiers of concrete.

I'd have no problem re-enabling weapons on CVs in atmosphere and then giving bases Armored Concrete walls that have 5000 points of durability... which mind you is 2.5 times armor steel...

Exacute and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  10. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Have ya tried HV Artillery Turrets?

Many are too lazy to dig deep for their Base Building. Have ya tried Mining HV Mole Attacking the Base? :p

Armored Concrete could be fun! :D

Could even maybe eat up more of all that Rock from Underground Base Digging in its Ingredients List perhaps! :)

11. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Lieutenant

Yep! Buff, not Nerf. Sometimes you have to balance but simply nerfing something is not a solution!

Exactly. Moderate steel cost, but a very heavy cost in rock would serve as a reasonable balancing factor IMHO.

Maybe also add "armored" version of the turrets that don't have the same size and tracking speed but at the same time are significantly tougher to kill.

Also might be a good idea to give Base mounted weapons a range bonus on account to being fixed in place and thus a more stable firing platform.

Basically make it so the hard part in killing a base is the simple fact its like trying to tear down a castle by banging your head into a wall.

12. Zedd

Zedd Captain

I like the idea, but unless the turrets are buried in concrete it won't make a base much harder to take (granted it would protect against area damage from artillery and SI collapse).

Making huge anti-CV base turrets which can only hit slow moving targets but have a huge range would be a good start. Of course, that would need to be combined with CV's not being able to turn on a dime :D

I'm pretty confident the CV turrets 'not working' is just a stopgap measure until they implement something better.

Also, remember they are bringing SI for ships eventually...so that is going to significantly swing the power balance back towards Bases.

13. Aurex

Aurex Commander

I do find the amount of different weaponry adequate, what I do find a little lacking is: the diversity in effectiveness, the 3d models, the sounds, the standard scope (would prefer ironsights for some weapons) and the balance between them. I will try to explain myself as best as I can.

The T1 weapons are adequate, being mostly useful when used against fauna or smaller drones. Pistols could use ironsights and increased damage in close quarters while the assault rifle should have cheaper ammunition, but they're mostly ok. The more sophisticated weapons are a different story. For example: the difference between the pulse rifle and the laser rifle. Both are rather bland, visually speaking, and both have underwhelming sound design. The pulse rifle sounds so very similar to the one from Aliens (looped to infinity) that I'm surprised no one sued you over it :D and looks like a weapon from a 1999 game. The laser rifle brings me to my next point: lack of different effects. Not just particle effects, I mean actual, practical effect on targets. The laser rifle could, for example, have a charge mechanic able to do some splash damage, an overheating mechanic to balance it a little... and, well... the sound on that one is REALLY underwhelming, sorry to say this. The higher tier weapons suffer from the same problems: they all play the same (more or less). I'd love some diversity, like, as I said, charging mechanics, splash damage, better sound effects and textures and additional scopes.

As for mounted weapons... they're... fine, I guess. They suffer from the same lack of "graphical" appeal and sound design, and it would be lovely if you could add some kind of recoil effect - the lighter the ship, the higher the recoil. Also, particle effects would be great on hit.

I know it's Alpha, and that this could wait before more pressing issues are resolved - but I wanted to give some feedback anyway.

Tyrax Lightning and rainyday like this.
  14. LeVentNoir

LeVentNoir Captain

The personal weapons are a singular joke.

1. Any hitscan weapon is fine for taking out mobs. Just choose the one you like the best.
    2. Anything explosive is terrible for taking out anything without massive collateral damage.

Leads to: This entire magazine of pulse rifle ammo for one damn sentry turret, because you don't want to damage the POI with a plasma cannon.

Pistol, Assault Rifle, Shotgun and Sniper rifle are good (even if the sniper has issues with what you'd use it on.) Laser weapons ROF is simply too low to be fun to use.

Plasma and Rocket are annoying, as they splash too much for use inside POI, and don't hit hard enough to make foot assaults against turrets workable. They're also much the sameness in "explosive projectile thing".

Some kind of anti material weapon, like a rail rifle, laser cannon, or fusion beam (whatever) that's highly damaging, works well against bases, and doesn't splash is needed.

We also need some kind of EMP cannon, to deactivate devices, so you can close on rooms with 3+ sentry guns without getting instagibbed.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Zedd, Kieve, ion_storm and 3 others like this.
  15. Stinefelt

Stinefelt Ensign

Improve base weapon range so we can stop the rail gun / artillery sniping. If you attack a base you should expect to get fired on! You can take out a base with an HV or SV without any trouble or return fire.

Aurex and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  16. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

Hoping script-able A.I will allow for the bases to send out an HV / SV to deal with threats outside of their turret range. This I think is a better solution than extending the weapon ranges, especially when we have no way to remain "unseen" right now.

17. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

Are you expecting to take out a base turret on foot... by yourself?

18. LeVentNoir

LeVentNoir Captain

I'm expecting to have an option when exploring certain POI which have full sized base turrets internally, such as the Abandoned Factory. The option of something that could be used from on foot for say, hard games where you are not the level / resources to build an SV and can happen to find a high powered weapon would be nice.

19. Postmodern

Postmodern Ensign

Okay. I'm brand new to Empyrion and after playing Survival for some 10 hours the wildlife has gotten pretty hostile. During one particular skirmish with a raptor, while I was attempting to retrieve my assault rifle from a previous death box, I was killed again. When I came back, no box with rifle and not in previous box. I can only assume that during the confusion, I dropped it into the trash. So... veering off topic for a moment let me point out that this shouldn't happen. Are the weapons balanced? Yes, I like it like this. Handgun only pisses off the predators I've run into. Assault rifle got the job done. But now it's gone, so am I satisfied? NO.
    If the player is about to trash a valuable item it would make sense for the game to ask 'Are you sure?'
    Also, on the tool bar, if you're about to eat again at 90% full the game should ask 'Are you sure?'
    Or apply a medical item or anything else that would be a waste. Please. And if necessary, make it an OPTION toggle, so players that like it as is can risk it. As for me, no. I want my assault rifle back.

Osskey likes this.
  20. Osskey

Osskey Lieutenant

And there is still this issue of targeting for turrets. There has got to be a "drone only" option coming. Especially with the POI's getting bigger. It's pretty tiring having all ammo expended against blocks while you're down deep looking for the core.

geostar1024 and Zedd like this.