Weapons

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Nope, didn't work on me even the first ime cause Evil is Dumb & likes to have their big fat attacks have big fat Tells. :p

Also what about those of us who are not a Sniper? I could use a more Warriorish Super Weapon... like maybe a huge Lightning Cannon or such. :D

2. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

Well, a tradeoff for spinal laser not using ammo. Just power.\
    Edit: Additionally, I'm talking legitimate laser here. Hitscan. The above mentioned (6) would be doing half the damage of that artillery cannon, true, but you have a much more reliable chance of hitting a jinking target with it if your aim is good.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

With great power comes great respon...
    Oops wrong game.

Sure but I still say it needs a draw back.
    It could have very slowe reload speed or charge time
    These are not to be end gamers I would find that utterly boring in PvP and SP.

4. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

If it was a true continuous beam weapon it could also do penetration or piercing damage based on duration of contact. More capacitor the longer the beam is active.

Given the right conditions you could technically cut a ship in half.

Again I'd give it some sort of draw back. Maybe the capacitors are highly explosive when charged. They are charged in serial so you can fire it when ever it has at least one capacitor charged but your duration will very drastically.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. Tyrax Lightning

Ahh, ya didn't mention that before... ok, now your weapon is starting to sound appealing... :D

That could be a hell of a lotta fun... :D

Could be fun vs Space Bases too.

Frankyln likes this.
  6. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

Oh, I am SO liking the emerging results of this brainstorm...

7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I think many would appreciate the ability to choose different colors / brightness for the "reticule" on weapons, because it's very hard to see with certain backgrounds / lightings. If we could choose from different shapes also, just for fun.

binhthuy71 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  8. Tyrax Lightning

That'd be cool, though can wait till much bigger things have gotten done. Could also be interesting if Modders could make & Submit Custom Crosshairs too. :D *Imagines Dragon Fang Crosshairs...*

9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

That is the exact reason why I thought suggesting this now was a good idea, since these small tweaks come by with almost every patch, while "bigger things" might just... never mind.

Right now it's very hard to use a scope in the dark because the reticle is practically invisible against background. This makes testing the "big things" much harder !

10. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

I want to tell the Devs thank you for giving us our weapons back in the latest build. We play PvE and the weapons were nurfed really badly. Now they kill again. :) :) :)

11. [Ghetto]Two Shoe$

[Ghetto]Two Shoe$ Commander

Bases are not intended to be permanent structures in PVP areas. They are designed to provide an expendable fortified position for active playing defenders.

If the offense is utilizing a base to defend their position they are doing it right.

12. AndrewCow

AndrewCow Ensign

PLEASE get rid of the auto reload. This is terrible. When in POIs and dealing with a lot of mobs, I utilize all weapons in my toolbar. Just as in life sometimes faster and better to switch weapons rather than reloading. This auto reload prevents users from even equipping anything else while the reloading is happening.

Leave reloading up to the players if and when it will be done.

13. vxsote

vxsote Commander

I like the auto-reload. What I don't like is the mechanic that prevents you from switching weapons. You should absolutely be able to abandon a reload and pick up a different gun any time you want. I also find it immensely frustrating to be stuck in a turret for the duration of the reload, especially when I don't plan to fire it again. Artillery turrets especially. Leaving a turret should be possible at any time and should not interrupt reload of that turret.

--------------
    I'm not really digging this change. If I can walk up to a structure and place precision explosives, I should be able to blast through. Right now it's basically pointless to try to use explosives on hull blocks at all. This is especially true because explosives only stack to 5, making it difficult to manufacture and carry any substantial quantity. 1 stack of 130mm missiles (50) will remove multiple combat steel blocks. 1 stack of explosives barely even makes a dent. This is despite explosives being far more tactically difficult to employ (running up and sticking to something, versus shooting from 300m away).

tehmashby and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  14. tehmashby

tehmashby Lieutenant

I think the c4 charge needs splitting and expanding into sub groups of weapons
    E.g
    claymore, blows up when stepped on

Shaped charge, massive block damage no splash damage

Standard c4, big boom on a timer large splash damage, little block damage

And grenades, always grenades.

toast, Morrigan, binhthuy71 and 3 others like this.
  15. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

@tehmashby , good ideas. There are times in the game when I'd trade my SV for a clutch of grenades to send rolling and bouncing among the enemy.

FWIW, I've used plastic explosives in the field and all hell would break use if you busted off a charge the size of the one in EGS. The Claymores we used were about the size of a hardbound dictionary. You could put three of them in a day bag.

Tyrax Lightning and Morrigan like this.
  16. Khyber

Khyber Lieutenant

I see alot of people commenting on player weapons, but not as much discussion on Ship Weapons. I looked and didn't see any other "suggestion" threads that seemed a better fit for discussing SV weapons in particular so i wanted to broach the subject here. What's the deal with them?

I did some rough testing by spawning in Alien POI's and blasting the turrets with the various SV weapons at a set range of 650M (in space) and here were the results.
    Rockets= ~8sec travel time, took 4~5 shots to destroy an Ion cannon.
    Rail gun= 3~4 sec travel time, consistent 8 shots
    Plasma= 5~6 sec travel time, 5~12 shots to destroy an Ion cannon (I have no idea why the wide range of shots, tried even from up close and it seems either it would take 7 or 12 direct hits even from as close as 50m, seemed to depend on the angle/location hit on the turret)
    Laser=Couldn't count travel time but seemed fast, 120 shots do destroy an Ion cannon

So right of the bat, with their being a limit of 4 weapons, you can see that Rockets can typically blow up a turrent in a single volley, whereas railguns take 2 and Plasma take anywhere from 2 to 3, which seems a little odd seeing as rockets are much lower tech. Even counting for rate of fire this still means rockets take out turrets faster than the other weapons. SO I did some math based on the listed values...

Rockets do 105.5 dps (damage per second), with 4 launchers thats 422 dps
    Railguns do 106.6 dps, for a total of 426...which is pretty darn close.
    Plasma Cannons do 67.5 dps for a total of 270 dps...which is drastically lower than either of the other two even though it's the highest tech.

This has me confused, I assume the weapon damage is balanced for SOMETHING, as i can't see a reason why damages would be 211 or 54 unless some balance point was trying to be reached, but for the life of me i cannot see why you would ever take a Plasma Cannon. I even looked into Ammo costs and found that all 3 are fairly balanced cost wise compared to number of shots, so Plasma even with it's 20 count per craft doesn't significantly win out there either.

As a last report, Gatling guns and Pulse Lasers which both seem directed to "anti drone" fighting more than taking out turrets are also horribly imbalanced. Gatling gun does 70 dps...but since you are allowed 6 of them on a ship, that comes out to a total of 420 which is right up there with the railguns/rockets. Pulse lasers, which are more expensive to make and higher tech, only do 66dps for a total of 264...that's even worse than the plasma cannon!

So please, can these weapons be re-balanced, I don't mind Rockets being a high alpha strike weapon taking out turrets in a single volley...what i do mind is that they are also near highest DPS, honestly Railgun and rockets seem a decent balance as railguns have a faster travel time and don't do AoE on hit (which is both a bonus and a negative but at least it provides a very obvious difference for when to use them).
    Plasma as it is lowest in the alpha strike damage, and the sustained damage without any advantage. Same deal with the Pulse Laser though it does edge out the gatling gun in ammo efficiency at least though not sure by enough to make it ever worth it. Perhaps plasma could get a debuff that it applies, temporarily de-powering components it hits, so even if it can't take a turret out as quick as the other two, it can quickly disable it so it's safer to take out (something along the lines of 1 sec de-power per hit, so with a volley of 4 plasma that gives 4 seconds that the turret couldn't shoot back) or maybe just up it's damage so it can consistently two shot turrents (with a volley of 4) making it still less alpha than rockets, but tied with railguns from a turret killing perspective (and again the tradeoff between AoE and single block damage distinguishing the two).

Is there anything I'm missing or overlooking?

Tyrax Lightning and tehmashby like this.
  17. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

No, you've got the correct damage spread afaict. It's been mentioned a couple pages ago already but it hasn't actually been addressed. It is confirmed, however, through practical experimentation and number crunching alike that the "energy weapons" and high tech options available are in fact terrible, and that your best options so far are in fact some of the first you get access too e.g. slug throwers. Ground options, T2 pistol, pulse rifle, T2 sniper are your best choices. In space, 6 minis is your least expensive and most efficient weapon. I personally no longer mount anything but 6 minis and 4 homing launchers, the later I rarely use except against space drones. Railguns are conditional for sniping problematic turrets, but I typically prefer the miniguns because of stack limitations and ammunition cost.

Tyrax Lightning and binhthuy71 like this.
  18. tehmashby

tehmashby Lieutenant

Plasma should be top dog, with the biggest explosion and aoe. BUT itshould be slowest of them all, with the shortest range, think of a spaceship mounted shotgun.

19. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

The current weapons are placeholders at the moment. Eleon may plan to add more of them before they finalize the dpm, damage type, range, rate of fire, etc., for the whole works.

20. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

Lasers shouldn't use ammo, and should be hitscan.