What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. 68plex

68plex Captain

That's because I wasn't in the audience to hear that suggestion, otherwise you would have heard a lone cheering among all the cricket chirps. The only caveat I would suggest is that the Warp Drives would still need to use only Pentaxid, and still need to be fed through the Warp Tanks instead of being able to work off the main power grid, as if only a highly refined T2 fuel uncontaminated with the dirtier Promethium based fuel was required to power such a highly sophisticated device as a Warp Drive.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

That'd work too. Honestly i'd still keep a couple T3 Fuel Tanks filled with Fusion Cells as backup regardless, cause Pentaxid Super Fuel for REAL running around in a huge ginormous CV would rock, but it's never a bad idea to keep a Plan B up your Sleeves. ;)

& yeah... Pentaxid, the clean cool Super Fuel powering Warp Fields... much more pleasant a thought then trying to get away with Traipsing around the Warp Dimensions riding a NUCLEAR SURFBOARD. :p

68plex and rucky like this.
  3. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Started a new Survival game.. This seems like a good spot for my base.
    Screenshot (273).png

4. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Well its not much to look at but it's home.
    Screenshot (281).png

Screenshot (285).png

binhthuy71, 68plex, Aeri and 4 others like this.
  5. Tyrax Lightning

IGN 6.5 outta 10: Too much WaterNot enough Water. :p

banksman45 likes this.
  6. Isil`Zha

Isil`Zha Commander

I just realized something... this real life Aircraft carrier is about the same length, and wider than my CV project. It can run without refueling for 20 years. :p

7. Tyrax Lightning

*Glares at Promethium* What do you have to say for yourself...? *Thumbs Down*

8. Isil`Zha

Isil`Zha Commander

At this point I think coal would be more efficient. :D

9. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

LOL True It could be closer to water but when I saw that view I could not help myself.

rucky, Starwing6 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  10. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

Yesterday we had a night of building recreational things with wood--a few weeks ago I cleared the trees from our island and we have an obscene amount of wood. Timo's current project is pretty amazing so far! He was performing stunts with his motorbike earlier in the week and came up with the idea to make a racetrack for us to play on. Then @rainyday suggested an HV racetrack :cool:

Timo built a little racer HV for us so we'll all race the same model of vessel with custom paint and racer's number. I might finally be able to use one of those bright, eye-bleed colours! Afterward he began work on the track. Timo loves to build things that work with the environment he selects, so his racetrack has a snakey tunnel under a hill and two sections of the track where racers have two and three choices for their path.

[​IMG]

I'm getting the impression that this HV Race is going to be extremely fun :D And to think, someone recently commented to me that players in PVE aren't playing the game! LOL

My first wood construction is much less exciting. I'm building some docks below our expedition base, where our pumps are set up. I made some lovely stairs that go up the side of the hill, and completed two of the three docks. I waited until nighttime to put in some lights so I could get them set just right.

[​IMG]

I'm making good progress against the stacks of wood blocks! There's a lot of pilings underwater, and I've used more than a thousand blocks already. I think it'll be nice to have another repair bay right at our base camp so we can all fix up our vessels quickly after raids, without needing to park inside a CV. We have a larger landing pad as part of the expedition base, but it only has one repair bay and is a popular parking spot already!

11. 68plex

68plex Captain

NewGame-170721-2151_2017-07-22_17-32-15.jpg

2 days after planet fall on Masperon. I've managed to carve out a stark rabbit hole that I can scurry down away from the PV, which I know is hunting me and will find me soon.

I found a settlement close by which I tore down for components. Still plenty of sheet metal there to be had if I need it. Note the ammo for my assault rifle. I've got 1 magnesium powder and not a stich of ore, and many of the deposits are guarded by large minigun drones that I can't take out without gatling guns... not to mention the beasties starting to come out of the woodwork now.
    NewGame-170721-2151_2017-07-22_17-37-47.jpg

But the components are put to good use, as you can see. Should be enough for a SV.

I've got a couple of you guy's micro SVs in my blueprints, but I told myself I wouldn't use the factory early on in this game. So I'm gonna have to build one post haste if I'm going to survive this hell. And then there's the question of where do I build the SV? The PV finds me right in the middle of building it, and I think the SV will be lost. But I only got 2 bio fuel left plus about 600 in the chamber for getting magnesium for the gats. I don't dare try to mine out a cubby hole to build it in. Was thinking about portaling up to the admin and building it in space... with an advanced constructor at my disposal to boot. I do have an EVA boost.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I wonder if a 1 thruster - 1 RCS SV can be enough to get anywhere safely at starter levels...

68plex, rucky and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  13. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

My experiments with 1 thruster SV's are why my scooter SV's have 6 thrusters. I had better luck with my HV with one hover engine and four thrusters.

14. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

OK... I see that. With 1 thruster in the back, even if I shot the thruster down the SV keeps going on all over the place. Trying to steer to opposite direction just changed the "drift" on the side. Whatever I try the SV will always drift sideways, even if logic would have it stop if I could steer it completely 180 degrees. With 2 opposite engines it still does the same thing. Clearly the inertia makes no sense here. Funny thing is that I can get out of the SV while it is still drifting sideways, and it stops completely as soon as I'm out of it. I hop back in and it goes on drifting, stops when I get back out, etc.

68plex, rucky and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. MadRussian

MadRussian Commander

I built a silly 1 thruster / 1 RCS SV a while back (w/ that single thruster facing down). Hard to control at first but got easier as I got used to pitching it (like the collective on a heli I suppose). Froze to death in the upper atmosphere while trying to fly like that while simultaneously getting to grips with the new temperature system. Made a local blueprint and called it DeathTrap!

16. Tyrax Lightning

Weight Distribution is a thing with Vehicles, especially HVs, but relevant for SVs too. If ya have more Weight in the Build on one side then the other, it'll cause such a natural 'Drift' by Intent. Ya can easily see this by having an HV Build, Hover Engines in each of the 4 Corners, & intentionally sticking weight on the sides of it unevenly on purpose... like for example making the left side out of Hardened Steel & the right side outta normal Steel... or sticking 2 Generators on the left & a single Fuel Tank on the right... & such. Then activate the Build Menu (Default Hotkey: Hold "N") then check the Checkbox for "Show Center of Mass" & it should give ya an overlay onto the HV/SV. There's 2 Bubbles... one off by its lonesome simply marking the Game Calculated 'Centerpoint' of the Creation, & the other with 'Axis Lines' sticking through it. This latter is the relevant one... it's showing the Game Calculated "Center of Mass" for the Creation... with the Axis Lines simply being useful for visually comparing the Center of Mass position relative to the rest of the Build. If the Center of Mass bubble is not center on the left to right direction for the Creation, that means one side is heavier then the other & this will give the Creation a 'weighted tilt' into the heavier direction which will screw over the Creation's ability to rest level on its own naturally. This can also matter for HVs in the forward - back direction, especially Mining HVs. Check your Creation's Center of Mass & see if it's straight or crooked. ;)

Hope this helps. :)

P.S. This all got goin thanks to the long ago Implementation of the HV's Real Hover Mechanics to replace the old Band Aid Fix Mechanics... making Building a more interesting thing in this game. Long live HVs! :D

17. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I used the building tools early in my first steps with Empyrion, when I played mostly creative. The SV I built tonight was perfectly balanced sideways, and was just a bit unbalanced in the length. In survival I have to get in and out of the ship to make the blue & yellow balls appear after activating the building helpers. Inertia seems to be calculated relative to the center of the ship and its motion, and not relative to the general reference frame it is in. So wherever I turned, the drift would still be at the same angle but "shifted" depending on the direction I chose. Normally if I gave an impulse to go forward and stop the engines, the ship should go in the same direction however I rotate it with engine off. Instead if I turn right 90 deg. it will drift on my left which is ok, but if I turn 90 degrees right again at that point it will still drift on my left side, which is perpendicular to the original impulse. Any further change in direction does the same illogical change of drift direction (pitch nose down it drifts "up", turn left it drifts right, etc), and all this time with the engines off.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  18. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Decided to add two more turrets near my base just for fun and plus drones do not have a chance of getting close to my base now.

Screenshot (292).png

My base ran out of power while i was mining and a few drones just happen to be in the area. So I have some repairing to do.
    Screenshot (293).png

19. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

@Tyrax Lightning, you put your finger on a key factor for micro vessels: balance. Though SV's are less sensitive to it than HV's it still takes some fiddling with object placement lest you find yourself playing a Bach Fugue with the W, A, S, D and O keys. Despite their entertaining handling quirks, micros can be so handy that I no longer spend materials on building the motorcycle if I can possibly avoid it - I can put a spotlight and a weapon on a micro.

68plex and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  20. Tyrax Lightning

Oh yeah... that Center of Mass Overlay Bug was a thing... forgot about that, it's still awaiting fix. As for the rest of that... now i'm thinking that's Bug Report worthy.

Also, I just plain throw the damn Moped into a Factory BP ASAP.

binhthuy71 likes this.