What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

... only one Pic....

[​IMG]

that's not two...

could be that I have changed the spawn rate to MAXED... yes... could be....

;-)

2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yeah, I did realise I'd not removed it after returning from orbit, so I suspected as much...I think it reduces max temp by like 15c, which is a lot. Will check next time I'm in-game. I do keep sets of armour for different purposes, but forget to change them - it'd be nice to be able to rename stuff...

Heh, yeah, I recall you posting this. Seems to happen from time to time, it happened to me at the orbital drone base it just kept spawning a fresh drone every few seconds. Would have been scary, except for the fact that I was sat at a distance in a flak-equipped CV. Sooo much loot lol.

I really need to start .yaml tweaking again, as we can now have LOTS more drones where the cap used to be three. Might test on my MP server, and keep my SP game separate...

Scoob.

rainyday likes this.
  3. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Yep, I always use a grow light, too. At least your crops grew, if slowly. Mine just withered. :(

4. Wild_XIII

Wild_XIII Captain

Wasn't happy with the front of my largest CV, it's coming along nicely but I can't help but keep adding to it! There's still so much room on the inside that I don't know what to do with!

Also, yes I'm aware there's currently only one turret. :p It's still very much a WIP!

NewGame_11_2017-08-13_23-53-02.png NewGame_11_2017-08-13_23-53-15.png

5. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

@Friendly Timo I found a hidden treasure...

NewGame_27_2017-08-13_19-38-45.png

Love your design. Beautifully done!

6. Friendly Timo

Friendly Timo Captain

Haha! You do indeed look everywhere! I have to say it was Starwing6 who I got the idea and I threw out some product / serial codes there to see if anyone notices, and to your credit, you did! ;) And many thanks for you compliments!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  7. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

Oh my goodness, I just painted and textured for 6+ hours. :D Here's a shot of the front, although I did a little more work after this point, and I finished the sides and back. I'll have to do many checks to look for spots I missed.

[​IMG]

rainyday, rucky, Wild_XIII and 7 others like this.
  8. Kyrt Malthorn

Kyrt Malthorn Captain

@Starwing6 that looks preeetty neat!

I've been continuing this behemoth, though I'm not sure how well I like the interior layout ... it's kinda nonsensical in some areas

WORKS-Shipyard_2017-08-13_21-41-08.png
    Some of you may remember me starting this a long while back. I'm not sure if I want to rip it up and do over, but I've been painting the exterior - I DO love the look... I'll give it that.

Meanwhile, I recently stumbled across some additional inspiration for doing "near future earth tech" ships in a kind of historical progression lineup. Today I went and built a semi rocket-styled SV.

WORKS-NASA_2017-08-13_21-36-12.png
    WORKS-NASA_2017-08-13_21-35-50.png

(Featured in background & window shot below: my longstanding work in progress "NASA warp ship concept".)

This is designed (as I've tried poorly a few times before to do) to land upright, i.e. pilot faces sky instead of horizon when at rest - a carryover from the days of classic rocketry. This would be one of Earth's earliest designs with promethium driven engines, i.e. doesn't require multiple stages and loads of chemical fuel to attain orbit with a substantial payload. These would be extensively tested by the time of the first incursions into deeper space, and so they stuck around; a cheap(ish), reliable, and well used design for the moving of people and limited cargo.

WORKS-NASA_2017-08-13_21-23-25.png
    WORKS-NASA_2017-08-13_21-25-03.png
    WORKS-NASA_2017-08-13_21-26-04.png
    WORKS-NASA_2017-08-13_21-30-11.png

The interior feels cramped and convoluted due to design factoring gravity differently than one would find in a plane or boat. Flying it is certainly... different. I enjoy it, many others may not. This thing is supposed to feel like an antique from the early exploration days and I think it's a good start.

9. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

YUP

That is very impressive. I am eager to see the finished product.

Kyrt Malthorn likes this.
  10. Kyrt Malthorn

Kyrt Malthorn Captain

Wanna help me finish the monster? This is my first attempt at a truly massive ship, and I keep getting overwhelmed and running away screaming.

Fractalite likes this.
  11. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Truly massive, you say? Perhaps @oojimaflip and @vicomt could be of help here... ;)

oojimaflip and Kyrt Malthorn like this.
  12. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I have my own gigantic project that I just started, plus another coming shortly. :)

Here is my inspiration:

8489183143_13b17b1521_z.jpg

Gonna use different coloring/texturing(actually not that far off) but sea Anenome is/are gonna serve as a/the muse.

NewGame_27_2017-08-13_23-50-38.jpg

13. Kyrt Malthorn

Kyrt Malthorn Captain

Oh I know, they make some awesome stuff that makes mine look like a peashooter. But they're waaay outta my caliber. Also, I typically prefer slightly less greebly designs.

vicomt and oojimaflip like this.
  14. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Some awesome designs are cooking up here! :)

@Wild_XIII That's very cool, massive ship! Nice amount of hangars and I love that center 'tunnel'. Keep working on it, looking forwards seeing it finished :)

@Kyrt Malthorn Remember seeing your ship before - nice coat of paint and that's truly a ship with lot of interesting designs and shapes. Looks awsome :) Also like your SV rocket ship a lot, I did a CV in similar (but in bit more 'comic') style. Kinda makes me wanna do similar SV that was meant to dock a CV on its tail. Like a life pod I guess, but with more of a utility I suppose.

@Starwing6 & @Friendly Timo That thing is looking very menacing allready! Is it in creative still? It seems you have your work cut out for you - I should probably look into that space station tonight :)

@Fractalite Wow, love your 'outside of the box' thinking - that looks like to be a challenge! Can't wait to see how you pull it off. I suck at anything organic so that project looks extra threatening to me :) One of the reasons I admire stuff done by @Friendly Timo for example - very cool blend of hard shapes and organic forms.

- - - - - - -

Now all this makes me wanna build something BIG. I guess its been long enough since I made Ilmarinen - ready for new challenge. :) Kinda want to make a proper aggressive ship - but then again for example a long range explorer type ship feels like it could be cool too. What do you think? Have any ideas?

Kyrt Malthorn and Wild_XIII like this.
  15. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

There's so much wonderful inspiration in this thread! :)

@Kyrt Malthorn that CV of yours looks fantastic! If the internal layout complicates your workflow, then you might be happier if you gut certain sections and change their placement so your path to and from the most used sections is as convenient as possible. Our first CV has a kind of crazy layout that results in a lot of time spent running from one side to the other. We learned a lot from those mistakes, but that CV feels like that's how she was meant to be, despite imperfections. Your NASA-esque SV is awesome! :cool: I love the cramped interior and attention to detail in the whole design and concept.

@Fractalite your start on the sea-anemone inspired ship is already impressive. I can't wait to see how your project develops!

@rainyday Wyvern is still in Creative mode for awhile. I'd like to at least build the rooms (I get to design the workflow this time), place a good portion of the deco and devices, and light up essential sections before moving her to Survival to finish up. I think the space station is really going to benefit from renovations. It's okay if you're feeling like working on it, but if you'd rather blow stuff up, I know I'd enjoy attacking some POIs tonight!

About ides for your new ship... One thing I've always wanted to play with in Empyrion is a science vessel, sent to explore a planetary nebula that could be dangerous in any number of ways, so it needs to be very strong and well armed. But of course, that is just a thought I had and I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your BIG vessel! :D

16. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Over six hours of painting & texturing can do that to a person... :D I just need to collect sathium from the Omicron & Akua moons so that I can fire up my factory build.

That indeed sounds like a very tempting build! I just hope they eventually add scanners and stuff like that to make it all more meaningful :)

Robot Shark and Starwing6 like this.
  17. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

What did I do today. I decided I didn't like the paint/texture job on my space station's city level so I started experimenting with different things. Didn't like any of it. Started looking at stuff online and grumbling about the lack of textures. Went to try and replicate a couple things and started grumbling about needing more block shapes. Basically I'm cranky this morning and I want new stuff.

18. Wild_XIII

Wild_XIII Captain

I agree. I can't seem to find textures that really suit the feel of what I'm building sometimes. While I understand that new textures probably aren't at the top of Eleon's list, it sure would be nice to see them add a few extra. :)

Robot Shark, Starwing6 and Siege Inc. like this.
  19. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

If they ever add the ability to import custom textures and shapes - obviously with certain restrictions - then I'll be very happy indeed. I suspect a change to allow each block to store more texture data might be required going forward though. It could be a case, certainly with shapes, of seeing what is popular and then make them official. Any Blueprint would contain any custom items used, to keep things clean & care would need to be taken that you knew an item was custom if you inherited it from another Blueprint you downloaded for example.

The addition of texture mirroring in the current Experimental build is going to be a great help to builders methinks.

Scoob.

Siege Inc. and rainyday like this.
  20. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Texture mirroring? :eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

/still grumpy about the lack of new textures