What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Good point. Keep it under the rocking chair. Just waiting for a drone or a Alien to show up. lol

2. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I love the fact that you can customize your own game and make it as hard as you want it.
    I'm still thinking about creating a war planet. With my own custom alien bases and using the AI manger command to create 3 or 4 AI PVs flying around. Just for fun. Last time I created a weapons platform that took out my CV.

rucky and Its Just Steve like this.
  3. Its Just Steve

Its Just Steve Captain

The past few days I've taken a break from the usual FPS style of game I've been forced into in this scenario to spend some time on my new mountaintop "retreat". It was started from the necessity to get away from a pursuing PV on my first run with my miner, but while I was escaping happened upon the view while peaking over the top to see if I was clear. There have been some major renos as previously the only part of this was the current production area, kitchen and small hangar.
    Without further delay, welcome to my new home.
    [​IMG]
    Easy HV access up the slope to the ramps and in the front door. Future expansion here will include an outside patio with a hot tub. Hoping to figure out how to fake the water in it.

The expanded hangar for the miner and @rucky Tank "Dark Knight HV". The area immediately in front is the unloading area and repair bay. Two birds, one stone and all that.
    [​IMG]
    A look the opposite way from the hangar doors. The two SVs back there will be tucked away into a matching hangar to the HV one shortly. On the right is the rest of the unloading area for any finished materials and promethium/magnesium.
    (Fun fact, be careful when removing containers below other ones. Even if you think they're "attached" to the ceiling. I lost ALL OF MY MAGNESIUM doing this watching in horror as the container flew into the hangar bay. I have 4 raw ore left and zero powder.)
    [​IMG]

A quick look to the production/engineering areas connected to the other side of the unloading area. I've come attached to using cargo boxes as some internal "walls" just for the ease of access. Don't remember who said it first, but I like short paths too.
    [​IMG]

And finally, the inside/outside of the furnace room with the active lights on/off. Not sure why I've never really used the levers for anything but I got tired of going into the menu to turn these things off and then forgetting about them!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Future interior plans include drilling up further for a rooftop garden area surrounded by a living area and 360 degree rooftop patio. Still planning on using the tiered garden idea that @En_Ma shared the other day. Might be a good fit for what I have in mind. Might be a complete disaster.
    One thing I've really enjoyed about this base build has been the zero pillars or supporting walls. There's more than one perk to building underground besides safety early on!
    Thoughts/Ideas/Critiques?
    Off to find some magnesium now....

4. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

5. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

I think it's doable to make a reasonable sized hangar with 2000-3000 iron ...

... oh you mean the WHOLE SHIP!? :D

No but seriously, awesome job with the mini CV. Looks like a proper ship but very low cost. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the ceiling hanging thruster in the hangar. Maybe just couple trusses to make it feel more in place. Trusses are pretty cheap, I use them a lot in my low budget builds.

Good idea to work on the insides too as you go - I tend to leave that to last, and there might be some problems making everything work.

With the latest update to the size class? My mining CV was 28 - and is 61 now... :eek:

I just hope server owners are awake and adjust their server size classes accordingly. I mean size classes are easily over double what they used to be. For example my small size class 4 CV im working on is size 10 now. And its TINY!

Starwing6, Siege Inc. and rucky like this.
  6. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

wow....

but, it's not increasing for any/all designs, as the formula now hides hidden triangles...
    As Examples, my Class 5 CV is now Class 4, my biggest Class 2 SV again Class 1 but by Omega Outpost jumped from 8 to 13...
    Now the amount of standard blocks weight more then before.

Starwing6 and rainyday like this.
  7. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

a nice mountain base you have there! good job!

Its Just Steve likes this.
  8. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Okay, did not know that. My size classes pretty much doubled across the board. Must be the way I build then :) Oh well, doesn't really matter I suppose.

9. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

@Its Just Steve one question/tip though, just destroy that PV? The MarkIII would have been more then capable for that job (yes the MarkV even more, but it could be a bit problematic to fit into your hangar, it's a bit higher than the MKIII...)
    In this scenario you're playing, are there new POIs around? Because in vanilla all PV-Bases were a joke up to now in my playthrough, so the first thing I make before a new planet fall, is S&D the PV and re-core the PV-Base...

10. john.73738

john.73738 Captain

20170816012514_1.jpg 20170816012534_1.jpg 20170816012558_1.jpg More progress on the asteroid base.

11. Its Just Steve

Its Just Steve Captain

PV got to me teally early and set me back a bit until I found the trade station. Was nowhere near being able to put the mk III together.

What i ended up doing was bringing my own build in with lower cost just for the PV and base (which had 2 support POIs full of turrets. Then i remembered why I kept that blueprint and loved my little ship all over again.

Honestly, it's gonna be killer on my first jump in clearing an entire planet though. PV and base first followed by the drone base.

Not sure about custom POIs but for sure a few smaller ones and one epic one I won't mention. Ya gotta play. Mission buildings have be a wicked surprise.

rucky likes this.
  12. hound

hound Captain

Structural Integrity bit me in the awe well you know what. Spent a few hours building a BA and moved one block on the bottom and boom....here is version 2
    [​IMG]

13. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

if you're playing SP and just want to build... try Console command "si off" that switches the SI off UNTIL the next reload,
    so sometimes I just build with SI off, save the blueprint, and then check in a new save if its SI is okay (because when placing again, the complete SI is recalculated, whereas on your existing build it isn't!)

14. Friendly Timo

Friendly Timo Captain

Nice to see you're back into making something enourmous again @rainyday ! Yeah I like to do rough outlines also but I usually do it with cubes, be it harned steel or combat steel. What are those SV's in your picture? Are you holding back some awesome designs from us? :p

Starwing6 likes this.
  15. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I built something very similar quite a while back, being careful with SI the entire time. The build was finished, and I was adding some finishing touches in the form of Lights, and placing one light caused the entire structure to crumble, with just the lower couple of layers of blocks intact. I'm now avoid builds like this as I've had several more incidents with random , non-load-bearing deco and devices causing a catastrophic SI failure when placed / removed.

Scoob.

Siege Inc. likes this.
  16. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Wanted to go even bigger - but as it stands now its exactly the same length as Ilmarinen. Not planned. Still - as can be seen - it's only a rough idea of a ship for now, so its all still a subject to a change.

Oh and I forgot to mention - I usually do a rough sketch the vessels in paper first, just to get an idea what I'm doing. And yeah - pen & paper - I'm old school like that.

Haha, those indeed are never before seen SV designs :D They are currently in the 'maybe I can make them work' -limbo - working ships but need some refinement, paint, details etc. Just not yet 100% sure that they are actually worth the effort...

Friendly Timo and Starwing6 like this.
  17. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Was it during the infamous 'oops, we forgot SI' -patch few months ago? It was fixed fast but still wrecked havoc...

SI can be bit difficult at a times.

I make extra care that I always make up to date BP's - in creative too. I usually don't save creative game separately, I rely on the autosave. And turn the SI off when I build. So it's more than once that I've loaded my creative game, forgot to turn SI off and crumbled my creation to the ground. Now If I wouldn't have up to date BP I would be screwed... I wish you could set parameters to your Creative game so that you wouldn't need to set them each time you load the game.

18. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

@Darkscis I think the colours you used have no need to be changed. With some contrast it'll look very sharp. If the colours get changed, they could always be adjusted later ;)

@rainyday your screenshots from the other night are really fantastic! I'm excited to see your new asymmetric creation. :cool: I really like Tigershark so much.

I'm glad to hear that modified textures, symbols, and custom LCD images aren't going to be in Empyrion. As far as downloading creations, there's nothing worse than downloading an item that transfers even one custom thing to my game (I'd have too many things, and also a lot of work to get rid of them later on when they no longer work the same way). The alternative is to replace modified content with default textures, etc but most downloads will look nothing like the one shown in the Workshop.

:eek: I knew sizes were going to change, but that's a shock. I just changed the max setting to 99. I don't think the server will have performance issues, but I'll upgrade it if it does. lol

rainyday likes this.
  19. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Lol, thanks. So I have some room to work with :D

Starwing6 likes this.
  20. JinM

JinM Lieutenant

I did some interior work on my new hangar, inspired from the start hangar of Elite Dangerous. It's with a 5x5 parking space and a 5x6 double door for the smaller vessels, and if it works out well I plan on making a bigger hangar with a 9x10 double door. 20170816131802_1.jpg 20170816131848_1.jpg 20170816131912_1.jpg