What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

It's doable but it's not going to be perfectly smooth. If you look at the Millennium Falcon on my workshop you can see how you can make spheres using a gradual stepdown process. Or look at the Death Star blank on SoulChateau's workshop for an idea how a computer algorithm translates spheres into the game. There are ways to do it but I think curved edges and rounded shapes are probably one of the more challenging build techniques.

This can be done. Look at using Corner Long A, B, and C turned on their sides. My CV Lightning has an example of what I did with this.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. hound

hound Captain

In my Mp game I lost my CV because a server issue.....I wanted something different so I made an entire new one.
    It is amazing how much you learn every single time you do this....and half the time Eleon throws new stuff....those new headlights rock.
    --They may have been in for while, I just found them---What will we have to play with in 7.0 ?
    Simple mini one person warp capable caravan.
    [​IMG]
    constructor and armor stuff...flat wall baby
    [​IMG]

3. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

I think you were right @Kieve with the 'wings'. Looks much better now. Thanks for the feedback.

20170818085926_1.jpg

Still wondering whether I should change it even more, more close to something like the F-104 Starfighter:
    starfighter.jpg

Testing in this scale is slightly laborous but I guess its worth getting the shape right now - than to rework large parts of the ship later :)

4. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

I'm glad it works for you. :) I'm generally pretty iffy about giving feedback like that, since I know I have some particular aesthetic preferences that not everyone shares.
    I'd say it looks good as-is, but I don't know what you have planned for the back end. Looking at just the screenshot, I think the softer slope on the back side flows nicely into the contours of the rear section.

5. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Looks great! I love this kind of stuff :) Vessels that work well with another vessels, and vessels that have a specific purpose. And you sure make a good team with @Starwing6 - CV seems to be progressing very well too!

6. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Most of my design sketches for ships feature angles that Empyrion lacks. An 'omni-slope' (and matching corners) would be an absolute godsend.

7. Friendly Timo

Friendly Timo Captain

Yeah I have to agree on this one too. Looks better like this! You've done really fast work out of this one! Amazing how quick you can design.

Tyrax Lightning and rainyday like this.
  8. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

@rainyday I'm so amazed at how much progress you've made in such a short time! How do you manage that? Very nice work indeed :)

Tyrax Lightning and rainyday like this.
  9. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Smoke and mirrors :D You should see the ship from below and you would be wondering what I have been doing all the time... :D

No but seriously, I think I've gotten the major blocks in place up to where the red line ends. But the back part of the ship is still just pretty much rough outlines still and needs lot of refining - especially the backmost engineering section and main thrusters. Thinking of making several thinner cylinders (housing the main thrusters) around a bigger cylinder in the center (the main engineering quarters).

The thing that im not sure at all yet is the placement of directional thrusters. I kinda like them to be separate pods, as the theme of the ship seems to be - but current placement they just feel too much out of place. Maybe thrusters integration to the wings would be one way to go - would give the 'wings' some actual purpose too.

10. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

I need more shapes! ;-)

Actual we have to make compromises (f.e. through texturing) for unpossible/missing stuff.
    Like texturing lattices in one of my wip CV projects:

CV_Building_04_2017-08-18_12-59-04.png

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  11. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

My POV is biased from having more than 2100 hours in game and I enjoy building as much as any other part of EGS. Our current library of block shapes forces an angular look unless you go very big. For me, that became so repetitive that I now build everything in Survival mode to add some interest - not to mention having to actually spend points on the necessary tech. I'm confident that this will change. Eleon has added loads of block shapes over time.

12. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

@rucky, your CV looks very intriguing so far. Hope to see some pics of the finished version.

Tyrax Lightning and rucky like this.
  13. Suzuka Sakurai

Suzuka Sakurai Lieutenant

Nothing to fancy it has advanced constructor 2 generators & 02 ,fuel tanks,cargo living space. I call it new beginnings.

Attached Files:

14. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

15. En_Ma

En_Ma Commander

Maybe adding some differenly coloured stripes to break up the flat expanses? Shiny white marble is a bit overwhelming in large quantities.

example: Florence Cathedral (white and green stone)

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  16. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

And it can be downright dazzling with bloom turned on.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  17. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

*Wonders why you Fully Inset those frontal Thrusters yet did not use the Armored/Enclosed ones for it...*

For the Topic: Got a bit more done & finally got the Hangar fully Enclosed... now Plotting & Scheming the back of the CV Build, including how to go about HV ability to go in & out of the Hangar while the CV's landed... a critical part of the Build to get done now so I can see how to build around it with the rest of the Design & avoid building anything that'd compromise this crucial function of the CV.

18. hound

hound Captain

No excuses Sir That BP is now fully upgraded with Enclosed thrusters on all. Thanks for the poke....that's why I love this community and post here...
    [​IMG]

19. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

lunchbox.png Presenting the Lunchbox, another ugly but practical SV. I decided to stop using screens even though I think they look better in case that gets nixed in a future update. So far, so good. The pods are self contained and the ship will still fly slowly with one out of commission. Moving things out from the core significantly reduces critical damage.
    View attachment 28137

20. hound

hound Captain

Binh...sweet. Yeah I agree with moving things out..the nacelles on the caravan have gens, rcs and fuel. Several months ago, people looked into the shot modeling and I always keep in mind the game is gonna shoot the core. My SV's have had problems with the lights getting shot out so now I put spots on the edges. Works mo bettah. I just put blocks in front of the core and let the game try to get it.

binhthuy71 and Tyrax Lightning like this.