What do you like most about Empyrion?

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Nov 29, 2016.

1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Hi Galactic Survivalists!

When talking to the press, we always get asked what's unique about Empyrion, what we aim to achieve and which elements of the game are the most exciting ones.

How would YOU answer these questions?

Tell us in the comments below what YOU like most about Empyrion (feature, gameplay, whatever) and/or SHOW us your most awesome in-game moments in a video (cut scenes, short video).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers,

Empyrion Dev Team

P.S. Here is a sneak preview of the upcoming character customization:
    [​IMG]

2. Scuro

Scuro New Member

The thing I like most about empyrion is the simplified building, but also the exploration/fighting you can do with your creations. Here's to hoping that NPC ships come soon. :)

3. Shootme

Shootme Active Member

What I like the most in Empyrion is, the idea of being always working to survive in universe. I mean building MY base, ship, cruiser of course.
    For now it's just a "baby" but for sure in a few years this game will outstanding most of "space-opera-games".

4. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator
    Staff Member

• Administrator
    The big reasons I love Empyrion is because it's stable, it's updated regularly, and it's a mix of RPG / Space and not just another boring Space Simulator with 1000 bugs where all you do is sit and weld all day :)

Also give that man a beard scratching. It looks like he is raising his head up waiting for it.

5. Booyaah

Booyaah Active Member

- The devs are REALLY fast to add new features and content unlike many other dev studios (hello Star Citizen). I'd rather get a rough version of the initial draft of a feature that only works 80% of the time so I can give some feedback on the good/bad, rather than get some totally polished feature that is lacking or doesn't do what we want.
    - The devs actually listen to feedback. I love the surveys and posts like these, keep em coming. I feel like my input is heard by the devs and actually matters. We asked for AMDs, boom we got em a month or two later. A lot of devs are just talk but I feel like Eleon actually puts out more stuff quicker than anyone else.
    - I love building and engineering things and this game definitely lets you feed that need. If we get some more advanced building tools in creative *cough* copy/paste 3d selections *cough* it will be even better.
    - Steam workshop and the blueprint/factory system obviously. I really wish you could have more than 100 mods working...
    - I like that our creations actually can get put to used in pve/pvp/mining whatever instead of just something pretty to look at and fly around.

Main things I would like to see in the future:

- Survival right now just feels like a sandbox with no end purpose and I would like there to be one. So I would like to see some kind of light story line for survival with some intro and ending visuals, even if it's just some simple concept art stills with text and voice overs (ala Witcher 3 opening intro). I would like an end game objective for survival (a way to 'beat' the game per say). For example maybe you have to collect a dozen pieces of tech to build some kind of trans warp drive to get back to Earth to warn them of a pending Alien invasion that would require you to clear out every alien POI in the system to find them all.
    - Obvious performance, optimization, and bug fixes. Getting shot out of your cockpit by a 'lag shot' when you have 5 layers of combat steel in front of you is annoying.
    - Some more multiplayer features such as politics (ability to declare alliances with other factions and war against others), and the ability to set our ships back to private (if we spawned them without needing to be faction leader or have them visible on radar to all from 30 km away)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  6. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Well-Known Member

Um, I like the fact that SOON MY CHARACTER CAN HAVE A BEARD, JUST LIKE ME! MUAHAHAHAHA!

Also, the building system combined with the non-voxel terrain makes for a very cool juxtaposition, but with the addition of more block types, the natural blocky-ness gets reduced.

Oh, and the devs actually listen to the community! MAJOR points for that :)

7. dichebach

dichebach Active Member

1. Pretty close to IDEAL open-world sandbox model, i.e., good balance between "realism" (e.g., need to eat, gravity effects structures, limited inventory) and playability (e.g., sleep is not in the game yet, healing/damage are arcadish, "limited inventory" is not so limited that it leads to tedium).

2. Seemingly huge potential for expansions, mods, and overhauls.

3. Combat dynamics that strike a good balance between cartoon and realism and also which offer some initial PvE challenge.

4. Design that seems tailored to promote Coop as much or more than PvP.

5. Beautiful aesthetics.

6. Intuitive, satisfying and immersive crafting building mechanics, with huge capacity for expansion and elaboration.

7. An excellent game mechanics framework on which to build an actual "living" galactic game universe. I could see this maybe becoming like what EVE Online _could_ be, or what many might wish it could be.

8. Remarkably stable and resilient application, both in singleplayer and multiplayer.

9. Distinct lack of bugs or poorly balanced elements, and astoundingly quick responsiveness and productivity by the developer group.

10. Fun pew-pew, and also fun exploration, and also fun mining/resource martialing, and also fun crafting and also fun buliding <-- all of which = "Very Good if not EXCELLENT" game design.

From my standpoint, this game looks like a "textbook" example of "how to build an award-winning, box-office hit computer game in the Steam era of gaming."

Desus, Kasero, XeroTerragoth and 4 others like this.
  8. malrose1

malrose1 New Member

The Dev's listen...... then act.

9. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Stubble Beard! That's what I have IRL! :D

For the Topic: My addiction to Empyrion is powered by many things: (In no particular order.)
    • Loving to Build things that don't have to be anything like what others build, fly it around, blow stuff up in them, someday Mine with them, & being able to Mad Empyrion Science with them. :)
    • The best Forum Community in the history of all Gaming! ^_^
    • Devs that know how to treat their Customers right, who listen to Feedback, who are capable of Honoring their Player Base with their Ideas being brought to life before their eyes, & who are so cool that talking to them can feel like talking to cool people. :)
    • This is among the most playable Alphas in the history of Gaming.
    • This Game's potential in what it can become by Full Release is Astronomical! *Ducks Rotten Produce*

10. Brett

Brett Member

What do I like most about Empyrion?

I get to write my own story: I crash-land on a planet with minimal resources. It's up to me, my wit and creativity to survive. I start with almost nothing and eventually build an empire that spans an entire system, with a fleet of CVs, SVs and HVs; bases on every planet and wealth (resources) that allow me to build almost anything I can imagine. That's just in the single-player game. Multi-player allows me to play cooperatively with friends, working together to face even greater challenges.

11. medicineman

medicineman Well-Known Member

I think empyrion has several unique things going for it.

I have to say that number one is the fast pace of development with updates constantly flowing from the experimental branch and then to the main branch. Most of the games I've played in the "early release" stage take forever to release new updates. I've also seen suggestions from the player base go into the game very quickly.

Another unique aspect is the game's difficulty. It's easy for me now but I remember several weeks of struggling to deal with the environmental factors. The survival aspect of the game is actually difficult especially if you crank the difficulty settings up. Later on in the game things get easier but a few mistakes and some bad luck can leave you flat busted and starting over. So the threat is always there to make you think carefully about any expedition you go on.

Lastly I would say the scope of the game is unique. If the intended scope of randomly generated systems/galaxy, more building options, wider mp support, more survival issues and finally more adventureish rpgish stuff then the game will have everything. So far it's well on the way to achieving those goals.

The most unique thing about empyrion is basically it's potential.

12. Freemam_Br

Freemam_Br New Member

What do I like about Empyrion? Well practically everything, but the question here should be:
    What do you think is still missing on Empyrion?

Well, I can say that at present there is no game that provides what empyrion provides (yes I can speak, I played Elite, osiris, No man sky and many others in both the space category and the survival category), you can make your own Ship, get out of it walks in space, fall on the planet, wage wars on land at sea, air and space, this is the maximum, but of course empyrion has a huge potential to be a magnificent game, but it still needs to evolve in Certain aspects; But three of them are fundamental and urgent at the moment:

1- We need a system of more in-depth alliances, where we can define certain groups as allies, friends, neutral, hostile and enemy, we can declare wars and make alliances, create conglomerates ... Also, stability and optimization are important for Facilitate the life of server administrators.

2-We need more and bigger planetary systems, also of planets 10, 20 times the size they are currently. We need new sub-light propulsion engines to travel from one planet to another at great speed.

3-we need a more advanced targeting system, based on single target, where we select the target that our weapons must fire, it would also be very welcome, a greater number of types of target, german than those existing in the current weapons, would like to be able Select which type of weapon target will attack, it would also be nice to have a shield system would bring a new dynamics to the game.

I believe that if these three functionalities come no 5.0, the game will take a big leap in its evolution

13. Kaeser

Kaeser Well-Known Member

Definitely the survival and exploration aspect, specially at the beginning of each game when you don't know where the next blow will come from...

Just which NPC's AI was a bit better and the planet's were a bit bigger and had no barriers already.

But all in due time, soon we'll also have a bigger universe and that'll be great.

On top of that a story, we definitely need to know where those aliens came from....

Or maybe I just got all this wrong and they're the ones wandering what we're up to in their backyard....

14. Frigidman

Frigidman Well-Known Member

Everyone already hit the notes I would say.

Game is great, hard to explain how, it just has that magic.

15. Artuitus

Artuitus New Member

To be honest I can't put my finger on it. The game is just fun-from building your first base to the joy of flying to the moon for the first time. While I'm a relative newcomer it seems the devs actually listen to the player base rather than just pay lip-service. If the game keeps developing the way it is then it has the potential to be epic.

16. freehotdawgs

freehotdawgs Member

I really like building cool new ships and bases. Along with just trying to survive. I think it's cool that you start as a survivor in an escape pod and end with a fleet of ships to conquer worlds.
    The best part are the devs who actually listen to the community and who work hard delivering updates regularly.
    The game is far more stable and has less bugs than most if not all early access games I've played.
    Overall Empyrion is a unique experience that's already a lot of fun and has a ton of potential.

17. Dinkelsen

Dinkelsen Well-Known Member

I like to build.

I do not know many other games where you can build your stuff, then build the enemies suff, fight them and then die because you were better at building the enemies stuff. There is nothing like being shot down by your own POI. Repeatedly. And thats my Empyrion moment, I sadly do not have a video of my failing terribly against my own Research Center (yes, Research Center, not Fortress, not HQ...) The third vehicle I sent there finally took out the guns. Razed the damn thing to the ground, of course.

Seriously this game puts me into "god of creation mode". When I started there were 32 little block shapes, but people built awesome structures from them, things I cannot wrap my mind around. Most of the time I sit in creative mode and tinker with shapes, constraints, functionality, cxramming as much as possible into small shaped and then trying them out. By now I have built a line of POIs for an enemy faction, although not finished, it is progressing. Did I say I like to build?

But it is not all, if there weren't survuval mode and the shooter aspect, it would be not half as interesting.

That the developers listen (and even ask sometimes!) is a rare sight. But that has been covered already.

18. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Well-Known Member

I like most that I'm able to spend countless hours building a hut. Then I can exit the creative mode of the game, start a survival game, crash a space ship on a planet and try to survive, in a completely unknown world... using the blue prints of the stuff I built in creative mode to help me along the way. ...and that doesn't even scratch the surface of what goes on in this game.

Oh, and I didn't really see a byline on how many entries we got so what I like most is how THIS community... on this board, isn't a toxic waste land of skullfudgery.

19. cmdragonfire

cmdragonfire New Member

Just started a couple days ago, but I'm really enjoying it. I love the feeling of building a little base and the thrill of exploring new places and all that. I'm still on the starter planet and I've been to the moon already, and right now I'm building my first CV. I can't wait to find the perfect place to settle and build another huge ship. I feel like in this game I am actually exploring. I liked space engineers too, but it just doesn't have that "exploration feel" even on the planets. I think it has to do with the lack of actual places to explore. Which is awesome and I'd love to see more. Really adds a sense of adventure.

Can't wait to see more star systems, maybe a binary system. And I don't know if it is possible, but maybe perfectly round planets, so the poles aren't blocked.

20. Achilles

Achilles Active Member

The question should be what will be the best thing, the game is in development so for me the best thing about it now is that it has a great bunch of committed devs that listen, respond and encourage community involvement.

It's a game with a huge potential as it caters to the masses, A single player? Multiplayer creative building game that offers adventure and role play.

Oh yea, and its in frickin space

Doesn't take a genius to figure out the game is a golden egg that just needs to be steadily nurtured so it will shine :)

p.s

Customisation is a kinda cool idea, but for a game like this it actually doesn't offer much....You wear a helmet 90% of the time and who gets that close to see you anyway....

I don't want to say pointless, but i can't imagine players getting that exited over this lol....anyway, keep up the good work ;)