Filed / Tracking 1.8 food entering inventory spoils immediately. [00209]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by boolybooly, May 20, 2022.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

OK I am trying to play Ningues on normal difficulty to get a feel for balance etc and as a result I am using a tent by a bunch of resources for bud and plant protein to try to build up enough to go exploring (which is not practical even on normal).

To try to stay alive each sleep episode I am going to collect resources which is 4 protein from two frankfurter plants and three buds, one egg and two brain shaped stimulants every other cycle etc.

I have observed closely and found that if I collect proteins sometimes, one lot of two proteins I pick will immediately show in the inventory as spoiled, sometimes both.

What seems to be happening is that when I set the suit constructor to make food bars and go take a nap the inventory is not updating correctly and although the spaces appear empty they are still carrying the perish data of the previous item in the inventory. What is more if I then collect more of that item it will stack in that space even if there is a space above which is empty, which again shows the empty slot is carrying inventory ghost and what is more the food entering the slot will suddenly have a reduced perish timer as if they had been added to a perishing stack which has updated the stack perish. I think that when they perish on entry the erroneous stack timer has gone below the perish time.

So using the tent breaks inventory refresh and perish data. FYI

To convince you I am not hallucinating here are two screenshots taken in quick succession.

The first screen shows player inventory with an empty slot (second row, end of row right hand side) and a "press T to pick 2x plant protein" advisory showing mid screen for a hotdog plant in front of the avatar.

The second screen shows the same inventory a few seconds later immediately after having picked the two plant protein and shows they have entered that empty slot but as spoiled food when they should be fresh plant protein.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2810377057

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2810377078

Pach and ravien_ff like this.
  2. BushiNeko

BushiNeko Lieutenant

mmm. I started on Akua on Medium.. and not having such quick spoilage.
    I did see and just recalled since you posted here.. that anytime my fridge would go off, the food went bad real quick. Keeping meat early has been a problem if power issues for sure.

3. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I think technically its ghost perish timers in the player inventory causing what should be a fresh stack to spoil immediately. So it looks like quick spoilage but its actually ghost spoilage from previous stacks, the perish timers are all keeping pace with game time as expected just not being cleared properly when the stack is emptied when the suit constructor uses up inventory resources during a 8 hour sleep period using the tent.

It should clear the inventory slot and make it empty but it apparently leaves something invisible in there.

This happens when using a tent to sleep for 8 hours, gather resources, process resources, sleep again, gather resources etc, repeatedly, in order to respawn key resources e.g. buds to make hot drinks so the avatar does not freeze to death on Ningues.

I will test if this also occurs on other planets tomorrow if I have time.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    BushiNeko and Pach like this.
  4. BushiNeko

BushiNeko Lieutenant

I am curious to see how it compares on your attempt to recreate.
    I went in to specifically check on other moons myself yesterday, but was immediately sidetracked with some new crashing / vanishing inventory thing I started watching and trying to recreate...

5. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I tested it with an Akua start and it also happens there.

Steps to reproduce.

1. Pick multiple protein e.g. x10 i.e. 5 plants.
    2. open avatar inventory, observe protein perish is about >20 mins.
    3. set suit constructor to make 5x snack bars (enough to use all the protein).
    4. use tent before the suit constructor completes making all food bars.
    5. after sleep open inventory and observe empty slot for plant protein.
    6. Pick more plant protein.
    7. open inventory observe perish timer for fresh plant protein (is now about 14).
    8. repeat steps 3-7 until on picking fresh plant protein it becomes spoiled immediately. At which point picking a second plant protein will now start a new stack of fresh plant protein with a perish timer > 20 because the old stack is now occupied by spoiled food.

QED

Pach likes this.
  6. BushiNeko

BushiNeko Lieutenant

Dang... indeed

Well on another note.
    I finally got myself to really probing out of the system in testing and the AGRO ISSUE vanished. Just in the starter moons zone I cannot ( and not just me it seems ) get agro other than some random makes no sense.
    But back in the old systems and everything works just fine.

I did some experiments on my crash / vanish items issue also.
    Steam in online mode ( which is needed for MP of course ) any crash occurring results in loss of all items.
    However, offline and crash.. nope.

Riddle me that one? :D