INFO & FEEDBACK [Alpha 11] CPU Points and Tiers - How does it work?

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Oct 26, 2019.

?

Did you understand the EXPLANATION on how the CPU and CPU Tier system works?

1. Got it!

46.4%
  2. Not really

16.9%
  3. Do not care / do not see why we need CPU

36.7%
  1. Softwalker001

Softwalker001 Commander

When you state it like this I mostly agree with the premise.

I have had M/V enabled since the release. It's a LOGICAL thing, Matter has Mass and Volume. Some of the numbers are crazy though.

I have adapted to M/V by totally Skipping the SV for anything but a micro one to pop Aln POI cores. Dump everything in factory and go straight to a cheap BP CV.

CPU is not LOGICAL. It is a artificial parameter that has the SOLE purpose of restricting the usefulness of BA/CV/SV/HV.
    Not just that but the WAY its implemented is worrying.
    Limits are arbitrary and HARD coded. Tiers are set and redundancy is NOT allowed. T3 requires 4 T3 extenders and you cannot place more for backup in case 1 is destroyed. If that happens you lose 50%of your CPU IF you have ALL 3 tiers of extender installed Maybe more.
    If you exceed it your design becomes a BRICK and useless, under the EXP the factor is set to 10xLimit =50% loss of thrust/Construction speed/ETC. No clue what it will be on release.
    As of last I saw a SC 2.7 is the biggest CV that can be built Within T3 limits.

This WILL be, as you wish, COMPULSORY on EXP. I am hoping the numbers change before General release.

If this is truly what the Devs want to do with their game, its their choice. I 100% agree.

It's 100% my choice as to when this becomes a Headache instead of Enjoyment.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  2. runlykhel

runlykhel Captain

I did think of a question that I have not seen addressed here; will NPCs, drones etc. specifically target these extensions as they do the cores and power supplies now?o_O

Tyrax Lightning and Germanicus like this.
  3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Not all players that don't like some features "refuse to adapt" : some have sound reasons to voice their opposition, but in the end Eleon decides, despites what you may think. And they are not "splitting" the community : players can do whatever they want, we can't blame the guys trying to make a game to please everyone if some players are not satisfied, and just the fact that they are trying to do this has merits.

That's only one side of the coin. The other side is this : games that are too complicated don't sell well to a large audience, and companies usually want some profit, not only a handful of "hardcore fans". In fact "hardcore fans" is the last group that stays when a game is practically dead, so that may not be the "target audience" for a developer who wants long term success and a large playerbase.

"Hardcore fans" in an alpha-stage game have a tendancy to forget about the complexity of the game that eventual buyers may face when thinking about buying.

Usually giving options for players to choose how they want to play is positive, and reflects positively on both the game and the developer. Do you disagree ?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  4. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

Which means it's a roll of the dice. Since missions really don't work, and just finding a trader, hidden somewhere in space is basically luck. Yeah, it's all about that RNG that gives you another T1 multitool.

5. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

Nice, someone telling as they see it. Very good I agree.

6. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

Do any of the actually play the game? I have asked this many times myself, as it appears they never have.

Arrclyde likes this.
  7. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

I think larger CV's are not possible with the CPU system.

8. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

@Kassonnade
    Well not only hard core fans. Most players that got used to a growing system do. In alpha things get added, things change. And when you are part of that community you see the change and adapt, or you are playing the game long enough to know how to change the change you don't like.
    But you are right, new players is a total different story. First game experience is important. New players haven't invested a whole lot of time when they are playing the game at first. So it is much easier to ditch a game that doesn't offer a easy way to get into the game.

But well Epyrion is still in alpha and still a long way before it is final. So a lot of time to fix problems that concern that first player experience. I hope Eleon has this breath, because right now they are doing much for pleasing existing players that are bored, but i see only very little that can be adressed as "marketing to get new people buying the game".

Mass volume is somehow logic. You shouldn't be able to stuff a whole POI woth of materials into a tiny HV with a few cargo boxes. But you shouldn't also have it that way that you can't lift off after you loaded up all your cargo, even though it is logical in reality, since this is a game.

And with the CPU system it is also logical in a way as everything digital needs cpus to process all the work futuristic things are calculating. But the way is to linear and to restricted to feel natural. Besides that it also feels like a forced progression.
    I am not against that CPU system as a whole. I personally just don't like this unimaginary way of a linear tiered progression system. Yet.
    It might change when the system is more defined. But i see a possible turn off for new players, together with clumbsy animations, stock graphics and complicated UI.

9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

If it's anything like the current trade stations, the trader will be in a station in the starter orbit, visible from 2500m away. Still a bit hard to find however not impossible. (my scenario has most trade stations visible from 25000m instead and I'll be making sure the new trader is available in multiple, known locations.).

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  10. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

I like raiding POI's, the problem with making CPU's depended on RNG is, as anyone does raids knows, your chances of 100 T1 multitools is far greater than getting one part for a T3 core. Though I watched that Spanj video and think it may not be as bad as it could be, just adding more hoops to jump though.

11. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Some unsolicited advice: Ask the community for Use Cases, add your own, and then have build challenges to fit them.
    Use results to adjust CPU. And you'll have lots of ships to choose from to replace the Factory Ships.

Example;

Use Case 1: SV Explorer.
    Limited to??: Core Only, no CPU Extenders.
    Objective: Basic 'starter' ship, for Normal or less grav Planets.
    Must Have: Detector

Use Case 2: HV basic Hauler.
    Objective: Ability to haul 50 Tons of Ore, Wood or loot from POIs, on Normal or less grav Planet
    Must Have: Harvest Module, min 5 m/s^2 thrust in 4 directions, two Minigun Turrets for Drone Defense. At least 2000 SU of storage space.

Use Case 1: POI Assault with SV.
    Objective: Ability to take on Level 1 & 2, aka Easy, POIs, on Normal or less grav Planets.
    Must Have: at least 2 Miniguns, Ammo Container.
    ---
    Many, many more of course; but you're after Specialization, so you need to define the boundaries between roles.
    ? Does Eleon envision that a "Mining HV" -will-not- also be able to haul a substantial amount of Ore? If so then you guys better get waaay out ahead of it since trying to convince the player base that having to have both a dedicated Miner and Hauler is "Intended" for early game.

Fully agree with @geostar1024 s post on cpu extensions being one single block.
    ( https://empyriononline.com/threads/...ers-how-does-it-work.90876/page-6#post-370485 )
    {or, at worst, being two seperate kinds, but still single blocks, not doubles and no benefit until you have all of them}

By -not- having one single "CPU Extension" block you've created a situation where frustrations will run much higher than needed.
    > only able to buy 3 of the top tier extension magic ingredient = no benefit until you find a fourth
    > less granularity
    ** how will Salvaging/Deconstructing work?
    - Say you have upgraded your HV to T2 CPU, but now need to upgrade your SV in order to assault POIs. How will you recover the magic ingredient in the HVs CPU Extensions? But this is moot since we can't, right now, make the Extensions...
    ??? Serious question here Eleon; do you honestly think that long term something -so- important to -every- ship will -not- be forced into a player buildable block?
    -- Multiplayer/PvP ; just buy up all the Extensions and grief everyone else.
    -- imagine if Container Extensions were Trader or Loot only....

========

My starting 'Use Case' is pretty basic. Bare minimum SV to take out Lvl 1-2 POIs external turrets. Since we can't dock an SV onto a Forward Operating Base HV, and that FOB HV is too heavy for the basic SV to lift, have to fly the SV back to base and bring in an HV to finish the POI. HV can not only be a respawn/heal point, but is also able to haul a worthwhile amount (100+ tons) of blocks/goodies from the POI.
    ** Importantly the FOB HV must also be able to defend itself from Drones and ground troops.

12. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

I think I am playing one of yours, Eden Project. Started on the Very Hard planet so there are no POI's to take out. You would be hard pressed to find the parts you need. Don't think there are traders in space for that planet.

13. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I haven't made a custom orbit for that planet yet, but I hope to in time for 10.6 to go on the public branch.
    I can add the CPU extender stuff to some custom loot on the planet or in orbit though. :D

xerxes86 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  14. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    No, those are not set as targets (yet)

Tyrax Lightning and runlykhel like this.
  15. <Darth Sidious>

<Darth Sidious> Lieutenant

and what will happen if the CPU limit for armament is exceeded?
    Is it possible to make the guns turn off if the limit is exceeded?

16. [RCF]Grodark

[RCF]Grodark Lieutenant

Madd Raven your missing a very good view of Gamers casual players turn off stuff they find hard and others turn some off some on and others turn everything on and games sell more more players and yes they get along some times just like some times PVP players and PVE players can get along so more variety more fun for more people . as for servers more options more ways to attract the kinda players you like to the server the rules of all or nothing is not needed when there's a switch options make games flexible and more minds to make more toys

17. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    See the 1st post
    - If you overshoot the CPU points given with the Tier, you will get a penalty on your vessel performance, which means the efficiency of ALL devices will be reduced (thrusters, constructors, turrets)
    - Switching OFF a device will not save CPU

Please se the initial posts of this thread for all the info and questions!

18. <Darth Sidious>

<Darth Sidious> Lieutenant

thanks, but it’s not entirely clear what efficiency refers to guns

Tyrax Lightning and zztong like this.
  19. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Not all parameters are set for "efficiency" at the moment. We'll detail that more in the EXP.

20. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

I agree with @Arrclyde @Kassonnade @ravien_ff and others here.

CPU as it is now is not logical, and i don't see why someone who is able to build things like advanced constructors and warp drives shouldn't be able to build more CPU poer or why this CPU capacity should be limited at some point. Why shouldn't someone with a technology this advanced be limited to a certain point of size by CPU power?

As example: SVs that are fully weaponized should still be able to be build. It should just need to be much bigger than a specialized SV (as you need to build more CPU capacity extenders in it) and therefore it gets harder to build it agile. And even if you manage that it's still bigger and therefore easier to hit. (Something that doesn't work right now as even laser pulses follow you in curves.)

And yes turning CPU limits off as an option is okay to make it easier to new players to get into the game. Even if it's not the best way.