PLZ Retest and Re-Report 10 GB memory usage - critical ram leak!

Discussion in 'Archive (Read Only)' started by ButtonPusher, Jun 22, 2019.

1. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

I am posting this bug report for a friend that seems to have trouble creating a forum account to post it.

-------

Mode: Survival

Mode: Singleplayer

SERVER NAME: N/A

SEED-ID: i did not get the seed from him, but i can possibly later

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproduceability: Always

Severity: Major

Type: system RAM usage

Summary: excessive system memory usage

Description: friend reporting 10-13 gigs of ram usage on the game executable in resource monitor, i am posting screenshots and logs , and his dxdiag for devs to take a look at

he has stated the following: windows 10, tried with EAC on and off both, tried rebooting system totally (power cycle) , uninstalled game, re-installed, verified files, Avast anti-virus disabled, webscanner disabled, and also exceptions made for the game folder, 10 gigs usage at main menu, more usage in game

Steps to Reproduce: this happens consistently, each login and play

client log and dxdiag download links:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IwIe-Bt5FaXRynFxUqzy1-m1TdIMoW_H

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hQVxQ7ier5EhUvIwivm-n07h7uuWqdcK

-----

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    1,44 Mio kByte or 1379 MG thats only 1-2 GB..or do i miss something here?

Germanicus likes this.
  3. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

i think he's referring to the commit size, which is 10 GB, the game doesn't use this much on my system on win7, it uses around 5 GB, as it should, i'm wondering what he's talking about with the executable registering 10 GB usage

if you notice Hummel, he is running the game and that's all really (he did let me know this in discord, and it's not using his cpu hardly at all, i want to know why the resource monitor is showing a commit of 10 GB of his 16 GB of ram to the game executable and why his system memory usage it sitting at 61% if he is running discord and the game, and that's all)

something with win 10 and this game is doing this, i almost know it for certain, and i also know that my friend cannot be the only player experiencing excessive ram commit to the game, i'm not sure what is truly happening here or why, but it's probably not a fluke

i can ask him to provide more information if you need it, let me know what to ask of him, thank you.

4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

The Amount of RAM used is as if I would fire up the game without logging in - here a picture how it looks if I have EGS Running in the Background while searching the Forum (Browser Firefox) with one of your attachments opened beneath and all the usual Win-Stuff
    Excessive RAM.jpg

5. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

i will advise him to provide more screenshots of the game running and also not running to show more of what is going on with his system and post it here in the thread

6. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    I can only see a commit of ~10.000 KILObyte (not MB or Gbyte)

Divide by 1024 > MB
    Divide by 1042 > GB

Germanicus likes this.
  7. arakan94

arakan94 Ensign

10 million KB is 10 GB..

I have similar commit size while in game:
    commit.PNG

But that doesn't really matter IMO - it's just virtual memory allocated. What matters is Working Set - I have around 5 GBs of usage after some time playing. I don't really find that excessive (game minimum requirement is 8GB, which is enough for Empyrion + Windows)

ButtonPusher likes this.
  8. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    The Empyrion.exe should be around 4-5Gb in task manager

ButtonPusher, Pach and arakan94 like this.
  9. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

Yes i agree Hummel 4-5 GB sounds proper. Either i'm just not understanding what is actually going on and there is no issue, or there is some issue that i don't see properly or understand properly, i just wanted to do my part to try to bring attention to it and provide as much info. as i could gather.. IF it actually is an issue. Thank you for the help Hummel and devs <3

10. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    No worries. Keeping an eye on the RAM usage of the exe is very helpful as this also indicates issues with ram management (we faced in the past). So if the .exe is going way beyond that value in the task manager, we need to closely examine what is going on :)

ButtonPusher likes this.
  11. arakan94

arakan94 Ensign

What you don't understand is meaning of the two numbers. Commit AFAIK represents virtual memory assigned to the process. That is usually quite larger than what is actually used (this depends on how is engine programmed and how are allocations done). Second number represents how much memory (both RAM and swap) is used at the moment. In short, Resource monitor doesn't even interest you - what's important is the number in Task Manager. If that gets over 6GB for Empyrion, it would probably be memory leak or some other problem. On screenshots from your friend, it shows little over 1GB.

ButtonPusher likes this.
  12. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

i still think there's a ram leak in this game, but i'm not a dev, so i wouldn't know for sure, all i know..
    is that the game is using waaaay too much memory

Attached Files:

13. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

um... yeah... i knew something wasn't right... here you go Hummel.
    i assume this will be addressed promptly.
    let me know if you need any further information or files from me Hummel, thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    arakan94 likes this.
  14. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

It has now been 7 days, an entire week, since I submitted this information, and proved that this is not a fluke.
    I don't feel it should take an entire week for a reply or for a request for more information, if required.
    ANY reply would suffice, staff. I think this issue is slightly important.
    I check every day to see if there is a reply here in the thread, but so far, no communication from you, in an entire week.
    Please reply. Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  15. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

you guys on holiday over there or something? what's the hold-up (delay) ?
    i'm quite sure that users with 8 GB of memory are swapping to pagefile and thus "beating the crap out of" their SSD or HDD.. this is not acceptable and must be fixed immediately.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  16. Taelyn™

Taelyn™ Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Were not on Holliday. But we also have other urgent matters. Your information will be handled.
    Doesn't mean we always reply

ButtonPusher likes this.
  17. Br41nH4lt

Br41nH4lt Ensign

My game also uses a butt load of memory. I eventually had to turn off the new "SuperFetch" feature in Windows 10 for my game to start behaving properly... that feature is great in concept but is buggy as ****.

18. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

What Microsoft product isn't ****?

For those who think - and therefor blame ELEON -that is a common Problem for ALL Testers...why does it happen only for a handful and not for all EGS Players out there? A Fault-Finder Technician would assume that the Problem therefore is caused by "local" issues and not by "global" ones.

Here are people who use EGS on pretty old hard- and software and do not report such problems ....can't say if my ASUS G750 is old with its 2013 built... but I read of far, far older ones.

The most modern ones using, as I remember, Win 10 and high end graphic card with an almost maxed out graphic setting.
    The only time I noticed a dramatic increase in Memory Usage is when I have most of the Playfield re conned or activated the MAP-command in Console over a longer game session. That makes my Laptop running at a high pitch and raises Memory Usage from 6 to 8 or 9 GB. A simple restart including a short break, for cooldown of the engine (and a bio break), solves that.

19. Br41nH4lt

Br41nH4lt Ensign

Yeah I pretty much put all of my graphic settings at min (and i got a pair of GTX 980s in SLI on my desktop) because they are driving a 4K monitor and as it turns out that doesn't work so well with that video card series LOL. I think this may be the reason my laptop actually runs the game better than my desktop (laptop full screen @ 1080p instead of desktop windowed at 4k uhd).... anyway yeah.. the game loads much faster and takes a lot less memory in a new local single player game than it does on a server containing a lot of ents/structs and map items to load up....

Germanicus likes this.
  20. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

Thank you Taelyn, at least now i know the issue is not being ignored.
    My friend is on win10 and has this same issue (as stated above in the thread).
    I'm on win7 and superfetch is disabled just in case anyone was curious, you don't use superfetch with a SSD

This is a problem with the game, not people's systems / system configuration.
    Ram leaks are a common issue, especially with early access titles, I can tolerate it but when people's hardware is getting pounded, I tend to express my concern a bit more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019