PLZ Retest and Re-Report 10 GB memory usage - critical ram leak!

Discussion in 'Archive (Read Only)' started by ButtonPusher, Jun 22, 2019.

1. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I have a pretty newer PC and I've never seen Empyrion use more than 6.5gb or so unless I go crazy with a custom playfield.

[BB]Drifter and Germanicus like this.
  2. [BB]Drifter

[BB]Drifter Lieutenant

Exactly. Even playing your mod I’ve still maintained less than 9 GB while having an active planet and fight. Being voxel based and with everything else I expect resource usage to be higher. On my system at least I see nothing indicating a memory leak. Time will tell but, yeah, EA is not optimized so I would see it as normal anyway.

3. 1017recon

1017recon Ensign

I am having the same issue, win7 8gb ram gtx1050 dual core 3.0. the game ran fine until 9.7/10.0. When i open the console i get the following message repeated many times.
    Internal: JobTempAlloc has allocations that are more than 4 frames old - this is not allowed and likely a leak
    (Filename: Line: 388)

To Debug, enable the define: TLA_DEBUG_STACK_LEAK in ThreadsafeLinearAllocator.cpp. This will output the callstacks of the leaked allocations

4. Br41nH4lt

Br41nH4lt Ensign

I Sent some data to Taelyn today about this.. my game active was peaked at 9GB and my commit was over 14GB.. Also when I changed my graphics settings from fast to best at the menus, my active shot up from 3GB to over 10GB and the back down to 5GB.. and that's just at the MENU!!

ButtonPusher likes this.
  5. Taelyn™

Taelyn™ Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    • Administrator
    That message is something else and has nothing to do with it

6. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

I would like to request that people posting in this thread stop trying to dispute the findings of myself and my associate.
    You not having a problem such as this does not help the devs with troubleshooting, or narrowing down what the cause is.
    Please do your part in supplying more information to the team that will result in the issue being resolved.
    i.e. - this thread is not meant for you to come in here and say "oh i have a new PC and i don't have this problem" or "my memory usage is never above x amount" .. you are not helping them find the memory issue, and not helping them remedy it.
    Thank you.

to the dev team : thank you for continuing to monitor this thread, and continuing to try to find the cause and fix the issue that has already been PROVEN to be an issue.

7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I don't think anyone was disputing your claim, just providing the information that not everyone has this issue. It's important to know that. The devs are investigating this and there's a thread you can send in your logs and pc info if you're experiencing this so they can narrow it down. They'll get it fixed.

8. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

Yeah i don't mean to be a jerk about it or anything, and i know it doesn't affect all players or all system configurations.. i just get a bit.. touchy, when people don't really contribute to helping and are dismissive when i report a bug / issue on forums, not just this one.. i'm an old dog, in my 40's and i've tested games for many years now, even did some QA playtesting back in the mid to late 90's out in California for a few studios, so this ain't my first rodeo *wink*

other game forums are MUCH worse with this i speak of, and in the past have made me a bit.. yeah, touchy.., so everyone here, no offense to you and none taken! *thumbs up*
    thanks for the help in narrowing this issue down for the devs!

RazzleWin and ravien_ff like this.
  9. [BB]Drifter

[BB]Drifter Lieutenant

You got some ageing to do there young buck. Been writing code since the 70's and tested far more so lets not play that card eh...

As for your issue; I think the root is to look at what people have and don't have as configurations. Those of us, and especially in my case those that are running slightly less optimal systems from what I can see seem to be having fewer issues currently. That may not be an across the board statement but the percentages seem to lean that way.

I play Raviens mod and have to agree that my memory usage is similar to his/hers at this point so what might be the issue here?

Some thoughts;

• Type or size of memory sticks?
    • Quantity?
    • Processor?
    • Board?
    • Drives?
    • System setup?
    • System configurations?
    There are far more things than that I am sure but that is a place to start in my opinion. I have some thought on this. First, your screen name indicated to me at least you like to "push buttons". Is that in games or the fact you wish to create disruption?

Your attitude toward the community as it comes across to me seems like you have a chip on your shoulder and/or an "axe to grind" as it were. I don't waste my time in forums where that attitude persists but in THIS community, most anyone I have met and spoken with is genuinely concerned with getting to the bottom of an issue or concern. We are here as the community and work together to solve the issues that we can help with.

Finally, any EA game is going to lack optimization until it is finished. The hope is to mitigate as much of that in the meantime until the final revisions and adjustments can be made. I want you to know I have nothing personally against you and some of my perceptions might be incorrect but at the end of the day we all want a quality game playable for everyone and I hope that is what your goal is.

I am done with my blah blah blah but hope you understand my point.

10. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

Not really "playing a card" so much as telling people posting here that i'm not some noob teenager or 20-something with no experience. I am no expert on anything really, but I also am not a random nobody that just wants to cause a ruckus in a bug report section of a game forum.

I agree it must be something to do with configuration and not localized to just 1 version of OS, or simply 1 or 2 pieces or brands, or types of hardware etc. Ultimately it is up to the devs to sort through and pinpoint the cause of the memory issue.

My username refers to 2 things primarily : me being a console player for 3+ decades, and working in a industrial setting, a steel factory, programming and running a 3/4 million dollar machine (in the late 90's). It was a CNC oxy-plasma torch table with rotating dual robotic arms with punch, stripper, and die sets with a powerful ram, punching holes in steel sheets and cutting parts out (Whitney brand) for over 5 years. Yes, i get that "oh you like to push people's buttons" assessment quite often, it's a play on words so to speak, but it doesn't really mean what people think it means at first glance. It's just a username I thought was witty and it stuck, for well over 15 years I've used this username, and I don't expect people to be mind-readers or know its background and history.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder or an axe to grind, I play a lot of Elite Dangerous and other games and have submitted issues and feedback on forums that are so totally "forum-dad-ruled" that it's borderline toxic, and they will argue you into the ground endlessly, rather than assisting in the effort to fix things. I do not mean to carry this defensiveness over to every forum, but I am human, an adult, and can admit to my mistakes.

I wholeheartedly agree and understand that any early access game has issues such as this during development. This game has had its share of this over time as well, repeatedly but not often enough to call it "plagued" by it.

I am trying to help, not throw my weight around, I come off as defensive at times but I've been somewhat conditioned over time through testing of games and even software, conditioned as in I stand my ground. I apologize if I come off wrongly.

I totally understand your points and simply respond with these points to try to show my angle, perspective and reasoning. Thanks for the input Drifter.

*also, my dxdiag is already uploaded with the report, in the middle of the page 1.. it shows my system config, OS, everything, so anyone can look without having to ask me questions about my hardware, software, or system configuration.. and if you're too lazy to click it.. here :

CPU : AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz AM3+ (boost : 5 GHz)
    Corsair h100i AIO liquid cooler
    Motherboard : ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Memory : GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 (9-9-9-24 timings)
    GPU : EVGA GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC Gaming ACX 2.0 (no overclock)
    OS + games : Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB SSD
    Storage : 1 TB WD Blue (additional 2 TB WD Black removed before last OS install)
    PSU : Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze

IF you want the dxdiag again, here :

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  11. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

From what I can tell its more a matter of the game failing to unload data, rather than it being an actual memory leak where its a run away effect.

It can be reproduced by warping to many new playfields in a large scenario, you literally watch the RAM useage rise and rise and rise and rise until it hits the limit, where your system is now addressing all of its RAM, at which point system stutter starts to happen.

Its been doing this for 2 odd years now.

ButtonPusher likes this.
  12. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

Was my problem like yours? I don't not know. The longer my game played the lag would incress. Loading the game took over 5 mins. Shutting the game down took over 3 mins. It would seem like my system was using more and more ram. I also noted hard drive was just screaming . Task manager showed My drive was in the red. And a system program call Superfetch was running over 80% cpu.

So I looked up Superfetch

Windows 10, 8 & 7: Enable or Disable Superfetch. Enable or disable the Windows 10, 8, or 7 Superfetch (otherwise known as Prefetch) feature. Superfetch caches data so that it can be immediately available to your application. Sometimes this can affect the performance of certain applications.
    Then it went on to say
    Should I turn off Superfetch?

Yes! There is no risk of side effects if you decide to turn it off. Our recommendation is that if your system is running well, leave it on. If you have issues with high HDD usage, high RAM usage, or degraded performance during RAM-heavy activities, then try turning it off and see if it helps

Well I did turn it off. All my problems cleared up. Loading up the game less the 4mins now shut down in less then a min. I still get some lag (I do have a small system so I expect some. I still have to play the game in low setting) But the lag is very little. ALL the drive grind and memory maxed stopped. My game run's now at 6.2 gig of memory thats with a browser running and notepad+ running too.

So it's might be worth seeing if Superfetch is involled in your problem.

My system info.
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Inspiron 7559
    BIOS: 1.2.0 (type: UEFI)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8066MB RAM
    Page File: 5750MB used, 5836MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
    DirectX Database Version: Unknown
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0001 64bit Unicode

Edit sorry I didn't read enough back and see now that this has already been suggested. I'll get back under my rock:eek:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  13. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

well, 2 years now Piddlefoot.. i think it's about time Eleon fix that then.

14. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Traveling around my scenario I watched the memory usage slowly creep up to 8gb, but this was after visiting probably 20 planets. I agree it should be fixed, but I also know optimizations usually happen in beta for many games so I can't really fault the devs for not fixing it right now. Restarting Empyrion fixes it.