6.0 feedback: spawners

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Exacute, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

I'm absoloutly in love with the new features! (and the new range-setting, that isn't quite a new feature yet, but hey ;) )
    On the note of the spawners, when they are being remade, I'd like to see a few more settings for them, then they'd be about as perfect as they're gonna be~

I would love seeing a setting for
    -Repawntime: How long does it take from a mob to die, till it respawns
    -Winduptime: How long does it initially take to spawn the mobs (ie. if none is around, is there a delay, or will it happen instantly).. This is a really "Nicetohave" feature, that'll rarely be super usefull, but it is nonetheless one I'd like to have.
    -Betweenspawntime: What should the delay between spawns be? Should they always pop right ontop of eachother, or should it wait n-sec between spawns? (Note: This would affect the respawntime, by prolonging this time slightly, if all mobs are dead)
    -Firstspawn: Should all mobs spawn immediatly when it first spawns (ie. no mobs are around, or recently killed), or should they use the betweenspawntime? either way this would still respect the winduptime.
    -Spawnrange: Similar to the setting about how far (a) player is from the spawner to make it spawn, what area should the spawner *spawn* them in? 3x3x3 around, 5x5x5? etc. Can be either fixed options, XYZ, +-XYZ, or radius. Either would add to the flexibility, while +-XYZ would be the most customizable, but also require a small level of understanding.
    -Selfdestruct: Should the spawner destroy itself after spawning its cap? This could add interest in spamming a room once, and then removing the spawner.
    -Spawnperbatch: Spawn between min and max, every time it's allowed to spawn. This would usually be 1-2, but adds to randomness.
    -Multiplier: By how much should spawnperbatch be multiplied with, for each additional player. 1 means "ignore several players", 2 means double for each extra player. (ie. if spawnperbatch is 1, and 2 players, it will spawn 2. If 3 players, it will spawn 3. etc). The multiplier setting should also affect the total number of mobs that are allowed (which as far as I've understood, already is a setting <3)
    -PersistSpawns: Should the spawned mobs be saved (ie. not despawn). This is mostly for combining with "selfdestruct"

These would be for each mob in the spawner:
    -SpawnWithWeapons: Specify which weapons the mob can use (for instance pistol, t2 rocket). Also define how much ammunition the mob have for each (pistol[100],t2 rocket[3])
    -SpawnWithHealthkits: Specify how many healtkits the mob spawn with (can use to heal self)
    -BaseModifiers: Attribute-changes, from default. for instance (aggrorange[+30],health[+45],shield[+60]). If used with +/-, it takes the default and modifies. If used as a constant (30), it's set to that number.
    -UseAIScript: specify one/several AI script. It will pick one to follow till it die, on spawn, from this list.
    This ties into the http://empyriononline.com/threads/poi-rework-ai.11259/

If the above is a little too needy, I would atleast like to see the respawntime setting implemented. That alone could add a lot to the spawners mechanics.

Optionally, for the time based ones, there could be a min/max setting to add further ability for a random factor

Except for the settings-part, there's the visual part. More spawner types could be a nice way to go
    -A medic-bay inspired version, that essentially 'grows' them. Several version of this could be made, some mechanized, others biological, with creepy fluids etc.
    -different variations of Cocoons. Some in spider design, some in assasin, etc.
    -Statis pods (Like something "wakes from a pod")
    -Holes/cracks : different versions of holes, that they can "crawl" out of´. A variaty fitting for different terrains, and blocks.
    -portals/pylons/...

If implemented, the destroy on spawn setting, should not delete the spawner, but rather render it permanently inactive, and change its appearance to a fitting state. The cocoon could be cracked, statis pod open, medic bay empty, etc.

Either way. Great work on the new spawners!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Needleship and Ephoie like this.
  2. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Sorta on the same page of spawners (hence I'll limit it to one thread):
    Player spawners
    Currently only used for players spawnpoint when tp'ing in (unless I've misunderstood)

Could be nice having an option on them for:
    -Respawn players (ie. act as a forced medic-station), even if players select spawn nearby, this would be the goto-spot
    -Discover range (The range, that binds the player to this spawner), ie. how close the player needs to be to this spawner, before making it an available spawn spot (This is so effective range can be way larger, but not allow for "death-skipping" in instances etc.
    -Effective range (The range, that the spawner will "drag the player in" (ie. if player died within this range, player would respawn at this station, given the above is true)

Ephoie and tehmashby like this.
  3. amurayiwestgate

amurayiwestgate Captain

• Developer
    The only two things I am missing ...

1) Reduce predictability
    Currently it always spawns 3 creatures - after your third kill it's safe to enter a room. I would rather see a random range like 2-4 so the player has to be on his toes all the time.

2) Increase required player vicinity to spawn creatures
    Atm a player needs to be in vicinity in so the spawner starts popping out monsters. Coming from ABOVE it's a rather huge range.
    Now you you approach from the BOTTOM (climbing a tower for example) you need to be -1 block under the spawner before it activates. This is far to close. I encountered a lot of spawners placed on columns which would simply not activate at all with a player walking along beneath them.

4. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Added your 1) idea to my main. You can mostly get it with the features I'm suggesting, but it doesn't quite have a random moment, as you suggest.
    For your 2), I'd say my "Spawnrange" adds up for that. The idea is to give it a XYZ/radius, depending on what the dev prefers. Either way it would also be up/down, as you suggest, so I havn't added that. :)

Ephoie likes this.
  5. Tabula rasa

Tabula rasa Lieutenant

For mp, will it be better if the spawning rate/limit are scaled by the number of surrounding players? To be more specific, two extra zirax will spawn if there are a second player, for example. It is a little hard to build the actual function without losing the balance though.

Frankyln and Exacute like this.
  6. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Added a suggestion for a multiplier setting.. It might have a better implementation, than my suggestion, but was the easiest I could think of.
    Either way I agree - It will make it easier to "scale" a "dungeon" that way.

7. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

8. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

I'll just leave a little bump here, hoping it'll be considered for the 6.0 release. Would pretty much finalize the spawners atleast.

9. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

10. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

I would like to add sensors and triggered events to spanwners

Some triggers
    On wall breach
    On death of x a radius y
    On x kills
    On X damage of structure
    On core destruction
    On x turret destruction
    On x repair structure
    On x sensor tripped

I would also like to see a path to player option
    When a spawn occurred the space automatically heads to the last known location of the player. This spawn is in s seek and attack mode.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    ZheBerg and tehmashby like this.
  11. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

I think these should be included under the logic-branch instead, and simply be used to enable/disable the spawner, through the logic. (As I don't see how they *only*/*directly* affect the spawner)
    But it is nice utilities, that would be welcome either way.