7.0 Playfield File Changes - Can someone in the know guide us?

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by Our Grid, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

Hello there,

I admit we've "had it easy" for awhile, but it seems 7.0 made changes drastic enough to not allow our custom playfields to work anymore.

Can someone in the know run down the basics of What Changed with 7.0 that will crash our custom playfields? (because mine stall the server totally)

I know that nice guy made a Playfield Generator tool, can we just open them up with that and fix them?

Thank you for your time!

2. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Well its impossible to know what to change without seeing the yaml files.

Is it a scenario you created ?

3. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Hey there Ryder,

Problem is, playfields are now mostly splatmaps and not seed dependent anymore, adding to that there's way too many changes to playfield deco items and POIs and terrains and ores from 6 to 7 that the best approach is to start from a new planet and change it the way you need.

Take a new planet like Masperon or Akua and change it with the @jmcburn EPD tool...

4. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

have you been able to identified the exact playfield that is causing the issue?

always run a test scenario on your PC under SP first to test all files before implementing into your server.

doing this will also give you code lines, telling you EXACTLY which play-field and even the line number that is causing the issues.

5. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

Thank you for the replies! Yes I need to just create some new ones I suppose - a lot Has changed.

Real life has been so busy I wasn't following the changes and the old yamls are just obsolete.

I will try tinkering with some new ones though, things look quite amazing!

6. Javarox87

Javarox87 Captain

I've had to convert dozens of my custom planets to work in 7. A few I dropped completely.

What I've learned in that process...
    1.) Meteorites, stick with threshold/amount (decimal values)
    2.) Resources, take a peak at NewTemperate, follow that format
    3.) Use dll terrains for your custom planets from 6 & before. If you want to use heightmaps, exceed what you've done before and create a new unique planet. Make sure to include the .ecf file in the folder and take advantage of the in game terrain editor
    4.) Forget all about xml terrains (example rivers.xml & rivers.dll) They are great maps and I'm really hoping they have a future, but for now pretend they don't exist.
    5.) EPD is awesome. I use it as a reference and make minor changes such as sky color and weather or easily seeing all my biomes. I prefer to build in notepad++, get the planet operational, then adjust in EPD.
    6.) Have fun always and this is your chance to be creative and improve your custom worlds.
    7.) @anyone reading this: If I have made an error above, please correct. Sharing knowledge is key to success and making multiplayer better for all the players.

Keith Hovey and Kassonnade like this.
  7. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

Thank you for this posting, it was a very informative answer!

I'm digging in now, wish me luck y'all! :cool:

Javarox87 likes this.