[A10 Exp] Combat feedback, weapon balance

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by cheerkin, Jun 14, 2019.

1. cheerkin

cheerkin Ensign

First of all, I had lots of PVE fun during POI raids, both in SP and with buddies, and I actually spend a large portion of game time fighting on foot in close quarters. That's why I'm always excited to see new weapon features like recoil, spread, etc.
    I liked enemy awareness (vision arc) feature, combat became more natural.

However, after playing a while, some issues started to really bother me.
    1. Recoil mechanics. I think current muzzle-up-and-stay-there is a bad design. Especially with weapons like minigun, where you can't have mouse carpet large enough to compensate for a long burst. Just make it return to a dead center when you release your trigger. Maybe untie weapon from the center of viewport, let it climb separately. I know, it's not an Arma, but I'm sure current mechanics can be heavily improved with a relatively small dev effort.
    <dream mode>
    Add spread buildup to encourage shorter bursts
    Make guns non-hitscan, with bullet travel time, or even with drop tied to current G value
    </dream mode>

2. SV/HV/CV guns damage is a joke vs aliens and zirrax troops. Maybe it's me playing on Hard difficulty, but those astronaut-sized guns do laughable damage to enemy troops. Often it's better to jump out of HV and kill enemy footman with your rifle faster than said HV would do it with its 4 non-stop-spraying minigun turrets.
    Aircraft-grade gatlings are absolutely ineffective vs troops, because you can't land focus-fire more than 2 them on a single enemy, and it takes forever to kill a troop with a spray of freaking 15mm shells. If we assume those troops have some insanely tough armor they should be blown away just by the impulse of impacts.
    It's very discouraging to see all those huge CV guns failing to clear smaller squads in any reasonable time.

3. HV artillery fails to destroy the large minigun drone in 3-4 shots. Are you serious? Those shells used to level entire POIs in 1-2 shots in previous alphas.

4. Epic heavy sniper rifle firing AIRCRAFT-GRADE GAUSS charges often does not kill zirrax with a potshot. Sentry guns endure two of that shots. Like from normal sniper rifle, yeah. Despite having declared damage of 9000 Omicrons.

Handheld guns in general are also too weak, or enemies are bullet-sponges. Especially those red scorpions. They are not hard to deal with, just boring and irritating. You get high ground and then unload kilograms of various ammo on them for minutes.

I'd really like to see more "realistic" approach to this part of the game, available as an option.
    Make enemies die from 4-5 shots from any, even the weaker guns. This applies to player too. Make guns harder to aim. Vessel weapons should vaporize normal troops with one shot. Or at least disable them with some shock mechanics. All of this can be hidden behind a feature switch, toggled at server options.

Again, killing troops from a vessel is not hard, but annoyingly time consuming.
    In my opinion, if you are in SV pointing coaxial anti-ship weapons towards ground troops, they already have lost tactically, and you have won, period. They should have an option to do crippling surprise strike with AT weapons though.

It'd be cool to introduce some DR/DT stats for enemies (damage resistance & threshold). That also leads to weapon specialization for specific tasks and types of enemies.
    The simplest approach would be, let's say, that red scorpion to be armored enemy with high DT but not very large HP pool (as it's not too big but looks sturdy). So multi-pellet or rapid-fire weapons would be ineffective. But it should drop from a couple of well-placed heavy damage shots, like from heavy sniper rifle.

2. Sgt. DoomForge

Sgt. DoomForge Lieutenant

I can definitely agree on a lot of that as far as the "balancing" goes, same with the scorpion issue. They're not invincible (thankfully), but they certainly have a difficult hitbox to nail with weapon fire most times. Furthermore, why do all the assault and laser rifles have such weird mag sizes? Standard mags are typically 30, 45, 60 or along something like that, not 20 and 25. Now if it was converted into a semi-auto marksman rifle instead, "maybe" I could see a reason for that magazine size. But not on a standard full-auto assault rifle.

cheerkin likes this.
  3. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

Well, the G3 has a magazine size of 20 rounds. I know the Uzi with 25 or 32 rounds. That depends on the size and weight of the cartridges, i guess: You cannot carry as much of the 7.72 ammo of the G3 as of the new NATO small caliber.

4. Sgt. DoomForge

Sgt. DoomForge Lieutenant

I didn't know that for the G3 (not G36?), but I was mainly referring to assault rifles in general typically having magazines along those numbers. Would be nice to see a new SMG addition though (I know the pulse rifle fires as fast as one, but technically still not an SMG). Guess I learned something new today then regarding that first weapon you mentioned.

5. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

Yes, G3. It is the precessor to the G36 that indeed uses a magazine with 30 rounds. And technically you are right: the G3 is not strictly an assault rifle, but a battle rifle. It uses the old NATO ammo (7,62x51), what is a great advantage over the new standard (apart from being hellish heavy). Brick walls (the usual hollow bricks at least) are not an obstackle to this beast, and it can even be used by snipers. In the current conflicts its very popular - if you can afford it. During my time in the german army i have made close acquaintance with it.

6. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

As for an SMG I would suggest, a p90 nice compact light weight and with a 50 round magazine . I would also like to see a carbine option for most rifles every look at that thing and wonder what you do with it when you get into cockpits?

7. cheerkin

cheerkin Ensign

I never leave a cockpit without my trusted plasma cannon in my tactical holster (since other guns just plain suck at late game). But I'd love to see that changed. I understand that this game would never be even semi-realistic in this matter, but I think something should be done. Maybe loadout system similar to Mass Effect would make sense, when you carry main and backup weapon. Weapons and ammo should be decoupled from character inventory, so it can be all balanced without hampering survival and building experience.