A10 SV Warp Drive moved to level 10

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Pach, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Pach

Pach Captain

... I don't know when this changed, but it was recent.

I suspect this was to make things a bit more "standarized" (e.g. "all warp opens at level 10), but the SV and CV warp drives are not equivalent, and should open at different levels.

I feel this makes the SV warp drive kinda worthless, as it opens ALL warp (short SV drive and long CV drive) at the same level.

Why bother with a warp drive on an SV then? Why not go right to a CV, with the bigger warp drive? Especially since the CV starter was dropped to level 7 (but the warp was left at 10). While folks should be able to do this, if they want, there should be a trade off: it used to be at what level you could warp. Now that's gone. There's still a material tradeoff, but I believe it's possible to make a small/minimal CV that could function as a first warper that materials could all be obtained from loot crates on the start planet, which would make jumping to a CV a better choice, as you wouldn't be restricted on warp distances.

The smaller SV drive can't make as big of jumps as the CV drive, so it's not as good, and should be available sooner/easier than the CV drive.

It also locks you into your start world until level 10, while previously, you could at least start exploring other worlds at 7.

Please restore this back to level 7, so there is better balance between the two drives again?

Thanks for listening.

2. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

Generally spoken, the SV Warp is useful, if
    • i just want to do a short trip into the neighbourhood to retrieve some minerals form my AMD
    • i have not gathered enough Neodym to build the BigThrusters
    I do use the CV, if
    • i want to loot or strip mine the other planet
    • i need to retrieve small vehicles, especially HV, that i dont want to abandon there
    And at Lvl 10 i usually have more important things to unlock than warp. The points are really sparse at this point of game. And at Level 7 i usually dont have a base yet, let alone warp capabilities.

Sephrajin likes this.
  3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

It changed with alpha 10 and I generally agree, warp drive for SV should unlock earlier. Shorter range drive. Makes sense. :D

Pach and Sephrajin like this.
  4. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Oh sure, at lvl 7 (or let it be 10 now..anyway) without ever jumped to any nearby System, I already have enough Sathium, Neodymium, Erestrum and Zascosium for a good CV :p

/zynistic sarcasm off

You can build a CV, without warp...
    So you still Need a SV to do the warp to get the mats for the CV to warp.

5. Pach

Pach Captain

Not necessarily. You can get Neo/Sath from POIs--there are some that have loot crates that are easy to get with minimal combat. You can get the CV engines from crashed capital vessels. It's possible to get the mats before level 7 for a starter CV without ever leaving the starter planet. You only need Neo/Sath for that.

But that's enough to get you out with full warp capability to look for a planet with Z/E.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  6. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

Sure, you could spend all that time finding and looting POI's.
    I'm pretty confident I could build a warp capable SV and go to the other planets in much less time than it takes you to find and loot enough POI's for a decent starter CV.

7. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Commander

But can you build one big enough to haul enough to matter? I assume W-V are on.

Pach likes this.
  8. Pach

Pach Captain

Depends what all you "need" in a starter CV, isn't it?

The major cost are the engines, and you can make the CV out of carbon and steel blocks (not hardened steel).

If you can find a crashed CV POI, that would cover most of what you need: one core and a multitool.

If you strip out unneeded items, and just go with bare mins/small built, the cost is nowhere near as prohibitive as you are making it out to be.

9. krazzykid2006

I was talking about bare bones warp SV vs bare bones warp CV. The SV can be up and running faster and already collecting tons of the rarer materials, IMO.

10. stanley bourdon

I have been able to build my starter cv, just under 2200 neo, on every start since I built it. I have a lighter version but I now set it as a goal to be able to build this one and be friendly with the Zirex. The one time I nearly gave up I had no neutral POI with thrusters to any amount. This last start the first crashed capitol vessel I found had 1800+ neo in it so easy. I have never removed thrusters down to the minimum required to lift. I am confident I could get it under 1500 neo and still leave starter. w-v enabled

Pach likes this.
  11. stanley bourdon

do you play with W-V on? I do and find SV useless for hauling. Perhaps I have not found/designed the right one.

12. krazzykid2006

Yes, I exclusively play with it turned on. I don't share your sentiments.