[A11.5] New Galaxy Map

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Please note that this is an improved version compared to the 1st release. It has much more handling features - and more will be added in the future.

The [?] is now holding all the info about the map handling (although NOT yet finalized)

Changes
    • Reactivated new Galaxy Map (Not yet finished; See [?] info overview for features/handling info)
    • Implemented new "OriginRestricted" feature for the orbits around the starter playfields
    • Using wormholes now costs the full amount of AU traveled (1 AU = 1 Pentaxid; before: capped to 25 Pentaxid)
    • Playfield settings: Added AllowMaxCPUTierSV, AllowMaxCPUTierCV, AllowMaxCPUTierHV, AllowMaxCPUTierBA, RestrictToOrigin
    • Galaxy map: stars now use color from sectors.yaml, stars in the background use grey now instead of white for circle and text

ravien_ff and Germanicus like this.
  2. ContractDeath

ContractDeath Ensign

Did Eleon wipe the server last night? I was on Haresh yesterday and today I logged on right after the reboot, and it wants me to select a new planet to start with.... instead of resuming my game. Is there something I should know here? Thanks! Regards / Jim "Contract Death"

3. TheSpeedbird

TheSpeedbird Ensign

I have some mixed feelings yet with the new galaxy map.
    It is nice to view and easy to ok to handle after a few hours. But still...the "simple" first version is much easier to handle.
    I also experience issues (had this in the exp. this afternoon) when clicking on a planet to get info, I receive an error - probably because the map doesn't move automatically to center view...

4. Klang Mogh

Klang Mogh Ensign

Go back to the old version. The old version was simple and information easy to find and use. I also have issues with map orientation in the new version. Nope...stick to what was working just fine.

Reg and AgentMaster like this.
  5. AgentMaster

AgentMaster Lieutenant

Just go back to the old map!!! Im understand that dev get some money for that map but we not need a new map! Please "Do not fix something that already is good and ppl like it!"

Will give some example: Can i ask the men whu make new map how i can reach the planet from the red circle? Why CTRL+left click was removed again?!?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  6. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Check the ? Button in the top left ... as this map has a few more features than the old one....

F.ex. Use V to toggle to different view angles...like 2D top down ;)

7. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    PS: the map you are looking at is obviously a „all in one system“ remain, not something set up in MSS way. So if you move lesser playfield into one sector..what is now possible (and what creators need to adapt to), then you have a very clear map like before. It is just a mess in your screen because the planet-count leads to this mess. To be honest, such systems have not been convenient to read even with the old map...

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I hope they bring back the route finder. It was buggy, but it helped. :D

If you're playing Project Eden, I will be releasing an update today or tomorrow to adjust it to the A11.5 changes. Each solar system will have fewer planets, making them easier to navigate.

I'm still waiting on the full multi solar system implementation but in the mean time the game generates up to 6 randomly generated solar systems so I can make each one smaller. Right now each solar system is hard coded to use the same config file, so I have no way of adding different types of solar systems. Best I can do for now is add some more randomization, but the current multi solar system setup doesn't have the functions I need for the Eden map.

AgentMaster and stanley bourdon like this.
  9. AgentMaster

AgentMaster Lieutenant

Exactly the Project Eden must look the devs when make a map. If you play Project Eden once then realize that 12 planet is some like demo version of the game :)

Germanicus likes this.
  10. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Even ravien will restructure the amount of planets in a system. So Project Eden in the CURRENT setup is nothing that we can use as an example for map usabilty, because the "solar system" was never meant to have so many playfields.

I have played PE, and seen a LOT of videos...and thats why i say: even the old map cannot keep up with all those warplines. No map system could server that. ;)

Germanicus and ravien_ff like this.
  11. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    I think we'll get to that sooner or later (after the basic features are in and working)

An idea is already in the works. And this is also the reason, why MSS is not "officially" released, but this is not more a "Tech demo Stage II" and not the final implementation. ;)

12. AgentMaster

AgentMaster Lieutenant

The old map have option to draw your own trace using CTRL and ALT keys and removing all distant lines!
    The solar system with less playfield is good only if there is many solar systems and we can jump and explore them, meet new ships and stations... etc! Otherwise the game is finish for me - the new things keeps me in, not the less playfields!

Hummel-o-War likes this.
  13. Precipitator

Precipitator Ensign

I really liked seeing 3D models of the planets with their textures. Perhaps you could use the old planet models to keep performance high while making the map more visually appealing and useful.

14. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I like the new map. It shows me where things are and helps me get to where I want to go. I'm also happy not having to keep turning on "Planet Info" to see what materials a given planet has to offer. In the end, as long as I can find a nice Ocean planet to settle on and call "home", I'm good. ;-)

Yeah, that's how most of my current game-play ends - a nice, fortified, fully-stocked BA with a beach-front view on an Ocean world. Then I start collecting NPC's from the Traders, and installing them in Dancing Girl configurations for my own entertainment, and sit out and grill steaks by the seaside, and chill bottles of Akua Demi-sec and relax.

15. Lord Vero

Lord Vero Ensign

It would be nice if the Planet Info tab opened automatically when you click on a planet.

16. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I like the new map much better than the old one. I play the game for almost 4 years now and I feel like the new map is a fresh usable change most players need. The old one was slugish at least on usability and not rich with features. I think those players do not like the new map is because they where familiar with the old bad and and the change makes them feel uncomfortable. This feeling will pass the more they use the new map and learn how to get the most out of it.

Myself I can not go back to the old one. The new feels more scientific to use so more immersive. I believe ESA and NASA would agree with me. Many demostrations of their work on different demos etc look very similar to the new map...As an example watch the following video :

So, before the players reject something, I strongly suggest they test it thoroughly. The new map is great and it is still developed, which means there are more to come and test by the Empyrion community.

17. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I need to ask, just so its been asked:

On the new map I see not just the star in the system I'm currently in, but also other stars, that are selectable. My questions are:

1. Can these stars be populated with information in a manner similar to how planets are populated with information? Clearly they won't have resources for mining, but some information about the star itself and/or that star's system could potentially be provided.

For example, a star, let's call it: "AG Q-45 b-14 C-101" might have the following information:

Stellar Class: Class F II,
    Surface Temp: 6,000 - 7,500 K
    Solar Mass: 2.2

This star system is unknown, but falls along known trading routes.
    Expect trade freighters and possible hostiles while travelling this system.

That sort of thing would make a nice addition.

2. Will these be used when we are fully able to travel between star systems? Select from map and jump type navigation? (I've yet to test the Scenario with MSS).

18. AgentMaster

AgentMaster Lieutenant

Sooner or later devs will make many star systems with many planets and jumps will be from one star to another (like a real galaxy map!!!). So that map will be transform one day to some usefull...

Myrmidon likes this.
  19. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

what happened to the option for a 2D map? I do not like the new map it is too busy and complicated.

AgentMaster likes this.
  20. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Use V to switch to a top-down 2D Map.

The Info and handling (> [?] ) has been updated for the next version in its prefinal state (matching the possibilities of the current tech demo stage II)

Vermillion and Germanicus like this.