A12 EXP - New Config Files

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    For those that are interested in customizing the values of the game to their liking, we have a little present: while the current \Content\Configuration folder already had the Config_Example.ecf where you could make changes to some extend, Alpha 12 is now giving you acces to ALL the config files we are using internally for the blocks, items and other configuring needs.

This means: The now outdated Config_Example is not needed anymore, because you now got the "root access" to the files the Config_Example was derived from.

This also means two things
    - You can break your game more easily now, as there is no savety belt anymore
    - You can do a LOT more things, configs and changes that the Config_Example did not offer at all.

Example: you can now create NEW loot tables or templates, not only modifying the existing!

Looking foward to which creative ideas result from this change. :)

Overview
    • Exposed all internal config files (no limitations anymore)
    • You can now change all config parameters of the game.
    • All config files can be used from/with the scenario folder
    Please note: Our QA team can NOT give support or will pickup bugs sourcing from or when having issues with using changed config files!

zaphodikus, Ephoie, MordVIII and 5 others like this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Known Issues

-tba-

3. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Questions and Answers

-tba-

4. I want to start by saying that I'm not editing any files during EXP phase, this is just what I'm seeing after a quick glance.

One major issue I'm finding here is that now all the config files don't have to be renamed before we use them. This will ultimately mean that all our edits for every single config file are going to be overwritten pretty much every single time the game updates.
    This now means our only option is to constantly make backups and then always copy and paste them in with every single update. That is going to get beyond tiresome real fast.
    Would it not make more sense to make all the files example files that need renamed? That way it's also easier to compare differences between the files when the game updates.

What's the purpose behind the old Config_Example file now? It's still there even if we delete it and verify files.
    Are we supposed to also edit it as well? Is it completely 100% useless now? If so, why do we still have it?

Evolvei likes this.
  5. Evolvei

Evolvei Commander

6. The Purple Tail

The Purple Tail Lieutenant

*Gasp!* Does this mean we as players can now customize the item selection of constructors, IE if we want an option to craft Medium, Heavy, or these mystical fairy Epic Medium or Heavy armors?

Fractalite likes this.
  7. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Yes

Fractalite likes this.
  8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You could do much of that with a regular custom config already.
    This just gives you a lot more control and even the possibility of adding new items to the game. For example I made a new assault rifle, mechanoid NPC, and weapon for them.
    Of course doing this carries various risks so moder beware.

Ephoie, Fractalite and ion_storm like this.
  9. The Purple Tail

The Purple Tail Lieutenant

Its funny you say that, because I've /never/ been able to get that to work since they opened up the Config.ecf file in the first place and I've made countless posts here trying to figure out how to build just 1 item and go from there. Would be it be too much of a hassle to ask you for a copy of your lines of code for 1 item? I should be able to replicate results in my config files, I must just creating them incorrectly in the first place. Many thanks!!

10. Evolvei

Evolvei Commander

After thinking about this keeping the config.ecf would be better. Opening up all the configuration parameters is great except if each file has changes and then the next update adds more we can't simply paste the copies of our config files back in.

With having the config.ecf with only the lines we want to change from all the standard config files there is less chance of problems or interfering with any new line items added to the various config files during an update.

krazzykid2006 likes this.
  11. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

Great, now that the whole crazyness is open, if someone creates a nice, comfortable GUI editor, that guy will be forever remembered, and praised by the masses as a patron of sanity... :D

Ephoie and Fractalite like this.
  12. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Captain

Is the ability to turn off the god awful top speed limited by mass exposed as an option?

Khazul and iliapugach like this.
  13. I didn't even think of that earlier.
    We can't just make a partial file like we could with the config.ecf before anymore. Can we? As in only including the lines we are actually editing in the file?
    Is it now all or nothing?

This is why I feel they should all be example files that we have to rename and all the old rules should apply (can make partial files).
    If it's how I'm thinking it is then this actually seems like kind of a big step backwards even though we are getting access to more functionality.

Some input from someone in the know would be great.

Sephrajin and Vermillion like this.
  14. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Last I tested, the standard config file still works if you choose to use it just like before.

But now you also have access to the full config files, for creating NEW items from scratch or making changes beyond what the config.ecf file allows (such as being able to place gravity generators on SVs... Or literally making a new SV gravity generator, unlockable in the tech tree, craftable in the constructor).

I wish the config files were also like the config.ecf file so you could use a partial one, but I can see how they might have to work differently.

Sephrajin likes this.
  15. Evolvei

Evolvei Commander

My config.ecs still works currently also.
    Did not know if developers are going to leave it that way or remove the file.

16. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

No you cant

You need the full file or you get CoQs. It cant work any other way since this are the default files the game runs on

17. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

How about a new functionality that lets you use a secondary set of config files in the Mods folder instead of the config folder. Ones that are prioritized over the configuration folder, but don't require a full config and subsequently, won't be overwritten by updates.

18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

That would be nice.
    As a workaround, you could place them into a custom scenario for now.

Ephoie likes this.
  19. Are you telling me that we can finally place the config files in scenarios now and have them load?
    If so, does that include all the new files too?
    That would be a major game changer if so.

Or are you just meaning as a backup location but they won't be read?

Edit
    Ignore me. I somehow didn't notice that this was already in the first post in here.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2020
    Ephoie and ravien_ff like this.
  20. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Scenarios can load their own set of configs now. You can have a fully-customized scenario game.

Ephoie, ravien_ff and krazzykid2006 like this.