A12 EXP - Scanning / Detection and Registry

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Alpha 12 will change the way how detection works in the game. We will change from the passive "see it all" approach to an active scanning (including some convenience features, like an auto-detection near-field zone). This also means, that whatever you detect, it will not STAY on your HUD all the time, but vanish after some time. Pointing at something with the crosshair, will reveal the info again. AND you have the upgraded REGISTRY that keeps track of everyhting you will run into!

Most important: the waypoints you set either as bookmarks or in the registry will now be shown through the whole universe to give you a guide, where to go..or simply to see where you left your base when approaching a planet.

Scanning & Detection
    • Updated passive detection to active scanning detection
    • Added: Detector handheld, CV
    • Updated: Detector HV and SV now working as active scanning devices
    • Added: Auto-detection range 12% of maximum scanning range (handheld 24% = ~300m)
    • Detection ranges are different for space and on planets
    • Map distance on POI reduces detection range (override)

Registry
    • Updated Registry to show organization level for solar systems
    • Updated Registry to show ALL discovered own and NPC structures and deposits, as well as bookmarks.
    • Added: Set/Reset waypoints in Registry to any available destination

zztong, AlbaN, KRanKO5 and 2 others like this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Known Issues

-tba-

3. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Questions and Answers

-tba-

4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Question - HV - Mounted the new Detector - does not show in the "Weapon"-Slots. It only High lights the Slot one. Using the 1-key performs the "ping".

Attached Files:

5. stubert812

stubert812 Lieutenant

This is one of the best add ons for ages. It's the talk of the town no one I know dislikes it most are over the moon (no pun there really) using it. As Germanicus said in the toolbar it is not showing a placeholder picture but still works. I'm still on the starter planet but can't wait to try out the CV detector pinging my way through the galaxy lol.

6. Nerd01

Nerd01 Commander

Works great, but if we can have sensors with different ranges and specialties it would be great, like different sensors for ores and combat.

zztong, daddychillin and iliapugach like this.
  7. shadowmage45

shadowmage45 Ensign

Excellent addition, and overall enjoying the changes to exploration and discovery. Especially in space :)

8. NBS_Solarwind®

The new active scanning took a while to get used to, but you guys nailed it , it is 1 of the best changes made and i can't think of anything i would change about it.

9. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Do not understand how to make the thing ping. I have a harvester attached to the hv. I feel this needs a explanation on how it works. So as of right now I can't make this HV do a ping at all. I'm using the Mameluke HV that came with the game. No changes to it other then putting fuel in it.

10. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Alright found the problem.:) I must have missed the bug report on the missing detector Icon for the HV.:eek:
    The detector was in the second slot.:oops:

11. stubert812

stubert812 Lieutenant

Hi does the HV come with a detector on it? If so on your tool bar in one of the slots (of you only have a harvester probably slot 2) you will sort of see a slight difference select that slot and left click your mouse. The toolbar icon is not appearing at the moment..

Pach and RazzleWin like this.
  12. Multipleman

Multipleman Ensign

A good idea would be to add a scan of the entire planet with some super scanner for CVs to be unlocked on the last level from rare materials and with high CPU usage.

requiemdios likes this.
  13. Evolvei

Evolvei Commander

Problem I am having is there are so many labels in the sky scanning from SV that I can't read them. Most of them come up as a ? anyway unless i repeatedly scan while being very close.

daddychillin likes this.
  14. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Using the new feature described I think there is a strong need for the Registry to be open via a shortcut key. The new system makes the use of the registry more needed than before.

Another thing that feels awkward is the fact that the detection range was reduced from 500m to 300m. Also if the player exits any vessel needs to use often the handheld detector even for simple action like to find the optimal position of an ore deposit in order to mine or place an auto-miner. Even if previously the deposit was scanned and approached bellow 300m and detected via piloting a vessel.

15. Liang

Liang Captain

If possible I would love to see an addition of limiting the "amount" of signals the device can pick up. My plan is to run a multi-player server at release and will have a much larger quantity of ore deposits for that purpose and the screen can become cluttered if it picks up 8+ signals.

But as is I think its working as designed, does not seem awkward at all and is easy to use.

16. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

imo, the range in space is too extreme for scanning. There's no exploration in finding asteroids or space POIs now. You ping once and find 7 asteroids, reach one and ping again and you find another 5.
    It's one thing to have no scanning, it's another to scan once and find everything in the sector without looking for it. You can ping an SV detector in orbit and detect objects on the other side of the planet as far away as the planet's moon.

I suggest reducing the RangeSpace of the HV Detector in space from 10,000m to 6,000m; SV from 14,000m to 8,000m; and CV from 24,000m to 14,000m.

Don't Panic, Fractalite and ravien_ff like this.
  17. Multipleman

Multipleman Ensign

That's the point of scanning. I rather spend my time fighting or looting POI than flying on empty space looking for one asteroid. Respect your time.

18. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I agree with Vermillion and think his estimates are even still, too large.

On planet
    *handheld: 500
    HV: 750
    SV: 1,000
    CV: 2,000

Space
    *Handheld: 500
    HV: t0 2,000
    SV: 5,000
    CV: 10,000

This deliberately weights things in favor of the CV. The reason for this is multi-fold; I want SOME exploration, I do not want the second vessel I can build and scanner I can get a low level to be able to do everything, I want questing to be a primary driver of exploration too, and I really think the CV should be the primary tool for exploration.

This is what showed up to me today:

20200423130154_1.jpg

and while that is, objectively, incredibly awesome. That HV is the SIMPLEST build at level 3? Maybe 5?

I also think that scanning should be affected by environmental or physics effects. A wave of radiation should all but kill the scanner, flying into a radiated zone; same thing, Ravien's Plasma planet should just fuck things up - maybe even sensor ghosts(Quick! @ravien_ff , is that a thing?!) flying near to a star should reduce its range, black holes should bend all the pings to one point, etc etc etc. Think of it like the reductions seen on weapons with respect to atmosphere and gravity.

All-in-all one of the best features ever added though - just needs a bit of pruning.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    markis007 likes this.
  19. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

I'd also suggest increasing the range at which Faction POIs are detected from 300m to 400m on planets and 800m in space.
    The current 300m range is too short for both since that's the exact distance of a base's guns. If you can detect the enemy, they can shoot you. It's too dangerous to get that close just to confirm them onto your map when they're visible from 500m+.

Note: The old detection range for POIs was 500m.

20. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I wonder what is the diameter of the space playfield or if it is not a sphere and it is a box, with a skybox for eye boundaries, what is the longest distance the player can travel from the center of it?