A12 EXP - Scanning / Detection and Registry

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Luzillus

Luzillus Commander

Hello, i think the changes are good as they are now. On a very large Planet(size 5) it is very helpfull with this Settings. An in my opinion, its boring to scanning and searching hours and hours , for whatever.

Multipleman likes this.
  2. Evolvei

Evolvei Commander

Even on a large planet do we need to see a lot of labels with each scan?

3. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

I'm really loving the new detector mechanics. It just needs some slight tweaks and will be absolutely perfect.
    I agree with the others that the ranges are in need of some adjusting. Some ranges need lowered so the HUD doesn't become so cluttered.
    The POI detection range should be increased so you aren't detecting it the same instant you are taking shots. This gives the players that are constantly scanning a slight warning they deserve for planning ahead. Especially since those POI guns have no problem seeing me through dense foliage and I can't see them.
    I would also like it if the results maybe lasted on the screen just a little longer.

Vermillion likes this.
  4. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Player-set waypoints shouldn't be visible on other planets; Only in Orbital playfields and the playfield the waypoint is set in.
    I'm on a planet able to see two waypoints on two different planets to two different bases. Knowing where my bases are from another planet doesn't help me or anyone else since there's no way to use that information from the atmosphere of another planet it just clutters up the screen.
    Yamanaime_2020-04-25_13-01-53.png
    There's also something very wrong with this screenshot. Can anyone see what it is?

5. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Your client experimental version?

6. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

There are 6 zirax bases in that screenshot and not a single one of them is being detected.

7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

If that's the ocean planet, that planet has a lot of POIs set to low detection ranges.

8. Garrett

Garrett Lieutenant

Love the new scanner but if we are to have map markers showing from different systems that we are currently not in, then I would like to see an option to lock onto them and be able to warp directly to them. If not, then I'm in agreement that there is no benefit to having them there, it's just unnecessary and confusing clutter.

9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You can. Point your ship at it and hit the warp button. :D As long as the waypoint is not in the same sector as you and it's within your ship's warp range.
    (If that doesn't work, report as a bug)

10. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    About 100.000m, so 50k in each direction. The issue with the Orbit might be that, as we did not have that ranged scanners before, the POI in the orbit are placed quite close to the Planet.

Btw: Seeing your markers on other planets > you can switch them off in the Registry. No need to have everything show at all times. You can manage that now.

Germanicus likes this.
  11. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Thank you, I found out myself. It is useful that the player can select individual playfield in the registry. Time and testing will tell if the current registry design is robust enough to deal with tons of playfields, sectors etc. I propose something similar to the devices of a vessel as those are shown in the control panel.shortcut P. Also we need a search feature for filtering, i.e. a way to show me all playfields I have installed an auto-mining device over promethium deposits.

Now :
    Regarding this, is there any way to show the player on the HUD the current 12% per playfield? We have the current scanning range but what about detection range? Should we do the math every time we change playfield?

Finally the players need a visual indicator when the detector has finished recharging. Something like the indicator of a component is being created in a constructor would be nice.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  12. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Future bug maybe? :p

13. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Not a bug, but a setting in the playfield that probably needs changing.

14. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Now a debate might arise weather POI detection range should be lower than current turret's range. Player gets turret "probed" by undetected POI. :D

Bad for business I say.

krazzykid2006 likes this.
  15. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

- I'm having a slight problem with identifying (=registry ?) some of the resources once you get in range for it to do so, now and then (not always).
    Wondering what how that perticular range is set to. Sometimes it just dissapears and i have to re-ping in order to find the resource node for manual mining, even when i'm standing on top of its vicinity.

- It is too easy to identify resource nodes by simply setting a waypoint on the newly found 'resource' indicator (white color)once you pinged, it allready shows you what type of resource is there without having to find out by getting near.

- The issue of 'cluttering' tags on the HUD of all the waypoints one sets, resulting in too many text interfering with the view, is sort of a pain.
    For this to resolve i might suggest a certain range (1,5 km for atmosphere ?) that needs to be implemented for the actual text of the marker to appear on screen, a range for atmosphere and one for space. Note that I am reffering to the actual waypoint markers one sets manually on the map, not the initial white ping markers. When beyond that range the only indicator would be the minimap dots and the indicator arrows on the edge of the screen. A bonus would be the ability to secondary mark the current objective with a different color ( in the sea of yellow marker waypoints). That way one has a clear sense of direction. That should clear alot of text clutter imo.

Edit: Come to think of it, an opacity on waypoint texts would be great aswell, concerning that last footnote.

Evolvei likes this.
  16. Garrett

Garrett Lieutenant

We tried that several times earlier and it only lets you warp to a marker in the same system. Other systems it says you need to lock onto the target first when K warping. Maybe a bug then like you said.

17. Kumbaya

Kumbaya Lieutenant

The additions are wonderful. Especially this. But definitely need the ability to filter signals by type and distance. Say I need to look only at what is within a radius of 2 kilometers. Or just that 1 km further from me. Or just ore deposits. Or just poi. That would be great to do.

Evolvei likes this.
  18. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

I am not sure if it belongs here:

I just got into the cockpit of a HV prefab 6b and the very next second i get teleported from inside a ship hangar in orbit to the planet itself.
    NewGame_2020-04-25_17-34-20.png

Oh, and while we´re at it, often i can see scan results and their old positions when changing from orbit to planet. They stay there, half opaque but still visible.

19. Multipleman

Multipleman Ensign

I got one argument for not nerfing scanner. We got whole galaxy now to explore. Instead looking for one ore for 40 min in empty space or the planet, better this 40 min spend for exploring new POI or fighting in new solar system. For me scaners should be more efective witch new tier.

20. Balthazod

Balthazod Lieutenant

Love the new sonar but my waypoints are not showing up, When I set a way point at my base or a poi I that I want to visit they are not visible in the world so that makes them a bit pointless. Also once i have been to a system and surveyed the asteroids and placed waypoints on the ones |I want when i return all the markers have reverted back to ? and my waypoints have vanished.