A12 EXP - Scanning / Detection and Registry

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 21, 2020.

1. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

Any chance you can make it not display waypoints for the vessel I'm currently piloting along with any vessels docked to it?
    Currently I have to activate or deactivate my waypoint every single time I get out or in my vessels respectively otherwise it constantly displays the waypoint right in my face all the time.
    Without having the waypoint active for my current vessel I also can't find my own vessel after I get out without scanning.

This is what it looks like while flying any vessel with a waypoint active. It's right in your face in 3rd person and screws with your aiming. Also for some reason always off center too.
    [​IMG]

Not only is it always right in your face but the distance to the waypoint is always changing so it is even more distracting (see video below).
    There has to be a better solution than turning waypoint on and off every single time I get in and out......

2. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

I think there should be 2 levels of scanner - the current scanner should have their range reduced by half, AND add a later game scanner (lvl 20-25 unlock) that are at least as good as current scanners.

Late game, I don't want to be crawling around with crappy scanners as by that time we need everything to scale up to locate resource more easily to scale to build larger constructs. OTOH in early game, I agree -there is perhaps too much reveal.

If we cant have two grades of scanner, then leave as is as other it just make later game a pain in the ass, but I think two grades (in place upgradable?) would be the right thing to do.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Pach and GenghisBob like this.
  3. JuStX2

JuStX2 Captain

Personally I'd like a filter to show only our own structures in the Registry; It gets boring having to read through an exceedingly long list of POIs just to find my own base so I can remote close the hangar doors through the control panel link.

4. Evolvei

Evolvei Commander

After mapping a large planet I have come to the opinion that 300M is way too close to turn the ? into a label.

Especially since POIs can shoot further than that.

Having to get that close to every ? on a planet to find out what it is, is not fun.

An option to use a keyboard shortcut for the scan instead of having the scanner in the toolbar would be better also.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  5. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

I have been finding I often have to ping from directly overhead to get a ? label to resolve.

I would suggest 1km at least for POIs and around 250m for resources. I think 300m was about the old detection range for resources.

Ravlain likes this.
  6. Apocrypha

Apocrypha Lieutenant

Mostly the new scanner & waypoint mechanics are pretty good but I have a few issues.

Firstly why do waypoints on different planets show up? Waypoints that are 10 AU away are just clutting up the screen when I'm on a planet. However they do need to be visible when in space.

Secondly my own vehicles used to show a short-range, green-coloured waypoint which was really helpful. Now that's gone I have to manually set a waypoint every time I park my vehicle and then manually delete it when I leave the POI or whatever. This is awkward, time consuming and unnecessary. It was definitely a better system previously.

Thirdly there is no way to change colours of waypoints. There are so many waypoints showing up on the HUD after doing some scanning now that it's impossible to distinguish them from each other. Separate colour options and maybe folders with range toggles would enable a much cleaner HUD.

monktk, Pach, iliapugach and 2 others like this.
  7. The Purple Tail

The Purple Tail Lieutenant

New scanner feature is something like a 95 out of 100 for me, very few complains and really great implementation for a 1st generation of the idea, great job devs! A few random thoughts to an already solid idea and implementation.

1 - Would like to see a small detector/scanner on the motorcycle with integration in the toolbar (getting on the motorcycle causes your toolbar to show nothing for 0-9, which is expected)
    2 - Can we get right-click for options for scanning? Right now, scanning shows /everything/ within range and this can lead to an extremely spammy/unreadable HUD
    3 - As part of those options, could we choose from a list of things the scanner will highlight on the HUD? (POIs, resources, waypoints, non-player faction things, etc)
    4 - The ability to enable/disable things to be shown on the scanner in the map (once you see it, you could turn it on/off with a checkbox, so you can focus on other things you want to scan and investigate)

Vermillion likes this.
  8. Kumbaya

Kumbaya Lieutenant

I played with the new radar for many hours, what can I say. Definitely ping space in search of points of interest is cool. But you need to develop this mode.

Option 1: Make the radius dependent on the class of the CPU. Let on the 1st class the radius will be - 5 km in space. In the second grade 2 - 25 km. Grade 3 - 35 km, and in Grade 4, respectively - 45 kilometers. Or, Option 2, make it possible to upgrade the radar. Because combing the void in search of the right asteroid is sometimes quite boring.

9. Hector G

Hector G Commander

I definitely love the scanner. Some people have mentioned that it kills exploration but I disagree. Combing a planet looking for POIs doesn't feel like exploration to me. Don't get me wrong I love wandering about aimlessly and randomly finding cool stuff to explore but the "wandering" part also has to feel engaging somehow - perhaps with amazing vistas or side quests everywhere I dunno.
    All I know is I hated just flying around lifting fog of war playing the hot/cold kinda game. Just tell me where stuff is at. Don't tell me what it is just get me there so I don't waste time flying around a Large class planet or floating in space.
    Maybe if there were enemy SVs patrolling the skies or friendly vehicles flying around that just makes banter or occasionally gives you a quest like Polaris pilot being attacked or a Talon village requesting aid out of the blue it would make the wandering part more enjoyable. Until then gimme dat sweet scanner because 'exploration' right now is essentially this:

Pach likes this.
  10. Agent0024

Agent0024 Commander

I love this feature! That said, I'd like to see the following improvements.
    1. checkboxes to filter scan results, for resources, POI, maybe hostiles.
    2. a scan mode to locate ground troops.

I don't know if it fits here, but the ability to get a planet's info once I enter it's orbit. Being able to scan it from orbit within a certain distance should allow me to see the planet info. Or if we make a probe that we fire to the planet like a projectile, that would be awesome too.

Thanks!

Hector G and Khazul like this.
  11. Hector G

Hector G Commander

I love those ideas. Actually while it is very convenient to have so much info, particularly available resources on any given planet, maybe that info should be hidden unless player goes into the system and then does a scan?

In addition to that perhaps a new powerful detector for your base that gives you that info for only so many systems in your vicinity so we would have build a chain of them if we want whole systems mapped out.

12. bashfullsson

bashfullsson Lieutenant

With new active scanning system we definitely need some form of safety for weapons. Or, simply reserve slot 1 for scanner, installed or not. ( I may, or may not caused negligent discharge. no, I don't want to talk about it.)

Pach and Cpt_Beefheart like this.
  13. Balthazod

Balthazod Lieutenant

I am having real problems with it. On coop my friends works fine but I have no way points stuff that is scanned does not show and the detection identification range is tiny. I have to fly and virtually land on resource for it to ID them. Empyrion - Galactic Survival Screenshot 2020.05.05 - 11.29.14.41.png

P.S the change in sound is awful I much preferred the sonar ping to the speaker in a bucket of water sound I thought my head phones had broke.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  14. Cpt_Beefheart

Cpt_Beefheart Captain

Yes agreed. Would it make any sense for the scanner to have a function selector like the multitool, where you select if you're scanning for ore, vessels, structures? This would only be possible with the handheld one though of course.

15. TGRF_Trainer

TGRF_Trainer Commander

I haven't played with the detector much, but I did notice one thing yesterday, more related to the passive detection. I was on a moon orbiting a gas giant, taking in the awesome view. But whenever I point my screen remotely close to the gas giant, a label appears in the middle of the gas giant. Labels appear for things like moons, which is fine, but the problem with gas giants is that they take up half the sky sometimes, meaning you can't look in that direction without the label popping up. I want to be able to look at a gas giant label-free. Can we fix this, either by making the label appear only if you look directly at the middle of the gas giant, or removing the label altogether (since you can't warp to it anyway, it doesn't really serve any purpose)?

Yes, I know I can just disable the HUD, but I don't want to do that every time I want to look at the stunning view.

16. Agent0024

Agent0024 Commander

- Thats what I mean, once I enter the sector orbit of the planet, we should be able to scan it and see the basic planet info panel. Right now you have to break atmo and enter the planet's actual playfield to be able to get it's info which means several minutes of flying to see that it doesn't have what I need or is too hostile or high gravity.

I would also be in favor of your idea for a powerful detector on a base as you describe. Maybe only showing the current system that your base resides in.

17. Agent0024

Agent0024 Commander

One thing I've noticed is that prior to the latest patch, a scan in a sector orbit would show <?> for POIs and the gems for asteroids. Now I only get <?>. Not sure if that is intended and the asteroids now remain hidden until you get close (which actually does make sense) or if the gems were removed and we have to bump into them accidentally as with previous alphas?

18. Hector G

Hector G Commander

Yeah and the information is only withheld in space it seems. On planets deposits will come up as <?> with a gem/ore icon and you can use Map and use RB-mouse it will tell you what kind of ore is there even without getting close. I don't think you can do that in space.

19. Don't Panic

Don't Panic Commander

The new scanner is a very good innovation, but there should be the possibility to deactivate in the playfield.yaml for selected playing fields. The background is to create special challenges in scenarios and not to make it too easy for the player. I would also like to see that this is possible with the shields. That would give new possibilities for event planets or orbits.

20. Pach

Pach Captain

Just want to add in that I love the new scanning mechanic. I hated having to meticulously track where I had been in orbits searching for asteroids, and carefully track loops around a planet looking for anything of interest--no more! Scan and head for the ??? markers!

I like that we can now have asteroids WAY out in orbit, too (despite what someone said about finding them all right around the planet: this isn't true, even with CV sensors).

What I don't like is the new ping sound. It sounds like a broken spring, and I find it annoying/grating. It's not the sort of sound that you are going to enjoy hearing over and over again, and the ping sound is something people are going to be hearing all the time. We need something a little more universally pleasing to the ear (which may be difficult to make, since it has to be a very short sound).

Hector G likes this.