A12 EXP - Updated: Robinson Protocol

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Inner examination is the first step towards self improvement.;)

Flash Hendricks likes this.
  2. Rashhaverak

Rashhaverak Ensign

I'm liking the new Robinson, but I'm going through the first Talon plot, and the marker to dig for the signal below the ancient tower didn't show up when I went back to the tower, even though the check box for returning to the tower is checked!

3. Hector G

Hector G Commander

I erased earlier post regarding a misspelling in the Robinson Protocol tutorial - the writing still needs proofreading work not just in RP but various scenarios. Wording such as logistics tutorial using "inbox" instead "input" as it is called in the game could lead to confusion.
    I'm guessing this is minute stuff that is not really worth dealing with until last minute but overall presentation is certainly way better than it has ever been.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  4. Flash Hendricks

Flash Hendricks Captain

Just tried again with a brand new start (12.4.2). Everything is much better now, but I think new players will be completely defeated by base building if they have mass/volume enabled (the wireless logistics system is not intuitive!). I think a base-building tutorial that covers this might be needed.

Vermillion likes this.
  5. Evolvei

Evolvei Commander

Much better so far. Need to do more spell checking though.

6. Cluascorp

Cluascorp Commander

My problem with the base build tutorial ... It never mentions that you need to build a wireless transfer, so you get kind of stuck there (if you don't know about it) ... Its like that whole step is skipped ...

Pach, ravien_ff and Germanicus like this.
  7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

More important than a "WiFi" would be the introduction to your DRONE!
    You can use a connected Container even without the Wireless. Just stay on top of the Container and ... use the Drone. "What Drone?" "How do I call it?" "What can I do with it?" "Can it fight/firing a Weapon/Place C4?"...and so on. Questions which you can find in this Forum many times.

8. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

A huge improvement to identifying the existence and use of the drone could be done with an improved HUD.
    The one we have now has obscure icons that are useless and very little practical information that a player can use beyond the health, stamina and O2 meters.
    The devs need to take a page from Satisfactory's HUD. Not only does it display health, it also includes keybinds with clear icons.
    HUDshortcuts.png
    For Empyrion, it would have the same Inventory (tab), Drone (f5), Wifi (f4), Suit Light (L), Helmet (U, though it's pointless), Toolbar (T), etc...
    The current hud needs to completely lose the "No build" icons, since there's two and they are completely and utterly pointless. They're so situational and are unnecessary since you get a text message telling you what the problem is.
    Just the presence of these on the HUD would introduce new players to these functions as they can see that they're important since they're on the HUD and how to activate them is included.

iliapugach, Paganizer and Germanicus like this.
  9. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Commander

I'm not so sure the Protocol is being presented in constructive fashion. It's conveyed with a great deal of unintended urgency, as though this is the proper, best, perhaps only way to survive, but unfortunately some of it is simply bad advice. Talking a player through feeding themselves, building a weapon, and refurbishing an HV is helpful. Asking them to chain themselves to a BA they have no way of powering or defending reliably is not.

Some expansion might be in order. The refurbishment idea used in the HV might be the way to go. Instead of having the player plop a base right wherever they happen to be standing, have them travel to an old ruin similar to those from previous versions. The ruin will be built only of structural blocks and one container hold the supplies needed to rebuild some of the base. This will provide material to teach the player about block placement, F5 drone usage, power consumption, and logistic connections. A small promethium deposit nearby will also help explain about fuel packs and multitools. Finally, the player would be guided to rebuild a partially deconstructed SV to defend against a base attack. Interceptor SVs are certainly one of the cheapest and most fun ways to defend against such attacks, and using one like this is a very strong first impression to make.

monktk and Demonic like this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Commander

Drop a core in the CV Heidelberg...Done! (You WERE sent there in the Robinson Protocol after all) You will have nearly everything you need to get started. (even a large constructor!) Yes, there is no guarantee of a multitool in the cargo boxes strewn about to move blocks around but there is nothing stopping you from salvaging part of the ship with the survival tool and adding blocks of your own (and the large constructor CAN make the hardened blocks from your salvaging to create an enclosed structure with hardened blocks againsed attack! Every single Capital ship wreck on planets ARE bases, They just need a core. Survive! :)

Germanicus likes this.
  11. Pach

Pach Captain

The very first quest, where it tells you what happened on the station before you crash landed... is way too long for the harder planets.

I had a full tank of O2 when I started watching it on Arid start, and it got cancelled/broken when I started dying from lack of air and had to tab out to breathe. I missed the ending, which is probably critical to understanding the storyline.

It would be nice if this long backstory could be broken up into stages. It's a VERY long read early on.

Or condensed.

And/or put in the PDA log, so you can read it if you have to break out of it. It seems that these story lines like this get "lost" and aren't logged so you can go back and reference them...

monktk, GoldDragon and Germanicus like this.
  12. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

I'm throwing in my vote for a section on the drone, to help new players... that was my biggest WTF moment in my first playthrough, would have been really nice to have known it when I started

I can't remember which Alpha it was, but there was a version of RP that really felt like a tutorial, step by step everything you needed to know