A7.0 Experimental - FAQ & Feedback: Concrete Textures

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    These are all the new and reworked textures.

If you want to give feedback on a specific texture, please specify like this

P1 (2,3) = Page 1 , Line 2, Column 3
    P2 (4,8) = Page 2, Line 4, Column 8

Note: White marbled textures indicate unused slots!

- PAGE 1 -
    20170926091446_1.jpg

- PAGE 2 -
    20170926091449_1.jpg

- BACK / LIGHTED -
    20170926091423_1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Siege Inc., Slimer, Fluffy and 4 others like this.
  2. TiwBras

TiwBras Commander

with new stone texture i feel good to make my fisrt medieval/tech blueprint S2

banksman45 likes this.
  3. Ramachandra

Ramachandra Captain

Looking good! I'm going to try them out on my temple now.

4. Solarix

Solarix Lieutenant

Where are all this textures? I did not found them! Only the old ones and some of the new. But not all of them!

5. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    You need to place a concrete block, use the EXP version and point at that block (Look on Page 2 of the tool for more textures)

6. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

Not sure where to place my question, but as @Hummel-o-War checks all these threads it doesn't matter much.

Why does every material needs his own set of textures, and not using the same textures for all and any material?
    Yes I get it that wood != concrete != steel, but wouldn't it not be easier for implementation, bug fixing, adding new etc. when there would only be ONE set of textures that can be used by ANY and ALL material?

Additional I would want a preselect texture feature (or at least the editor keeps remembering a default texture for any material).

One point I do have with non-preselecting textures & own texture-sets of every material:

When you're upgrading your structure from one material into another,
    when the old material has not changed his hard-coded default texture, IT WILL change into the hard-coded default texture of the next material.
    I don't want this behavior. I want to upgrade the material without changing it's look!
    This is even worse, when the textures are even not available anymore on the new material!

(in practice example: blue print change from concrete to steel or the other way around to make a starter-base from less ressources;
    CV: full automatic update per console from standard steel to combat steel...)

Siege Inc. likes this.
  7. Solarix

Solarix Lieutenant

+++ 1

Please let us use ALL textures on each material without restrictions!

8. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    The reason is a technical one: The atlas holding the textures has room for about 62 textures. This is a technical limit which needs a lot of work to be increased. So we decided to add the "material-related texture selection" a few major updates ago.

With adding this material-related-selection we can use 62 slots for EACH material instead of a fixed maximum of 62. So currently we can have a total of 3x62 slots this way. This is also the reason why some of the most-used textures are shared between this materials.

Starwing6 likes this.
  9. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator
    Staff Member

and honestly, i prefer it to see what is under it....wood/metal/concrete :) as paint on metal will look different to paint on concrete

Mortlath likes this.
  10. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

that does mean, we're NOT getting more textures @ metal. We're there at max already.
    uhm. okay.

edit: nah, sorry, even as I see the actual limitation, okay, but I'm not convinced of this solution.
    I'm sure Elion needs to increase the Atlas file / directory / size in the future, and while actual we're using 80% of any textures of all 3 in the metal section anyway, consolidation and combining all three (or four or five, perhaps more materials will come later) will minimize troubles...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  11. Solarix

Solarix Lieutenant

Excuse me, but what is the "atlas"?

12. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

As far as I know you can think of like a directory system in Unity (the framework in which Empyrion is made) specifically for assets.
    And yes, I know it's not easy to change... 7 Days to Die had some problems too...

13. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

I hope y'all can fix that so adding more textures isn't such a problem in the future.

14. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    We'll try to increase the size in the future- if technically feasible of course ;-)

15. Ramachandra

Ramachandra Captain

I like the new textures but I miss megalith sized stone textures for bigger buildings. My current top favorite is the concrete texture. Well done!
    I could love the following in much bigger size: P1 L2 C2, C5, C6
    I wish to have more similar to: P2 L3 C4, C5, C6. Especially C6. The C5 could be better if we can fully color it like the new concrete. The C4 is a beauty!
    I miss the old wallpaper textures. I do not think what was replaced them is nicer. To not have this one is a loss:

1.jpg

rucky likes this.
  16. Mortlath

Mortlath Commander

I agree!!

17. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

you both know, that there IS NO difference in the underlying material, do you?!
    Materials are only classes with different hitpoints and armor values, nothing more!
    Textures are always the same, no matter what "material" it is, because there is no real material physically invovled!

Look:

SV_Building_04_2017-09-28_10-59-02.png
    Now tell me the correct order of the materials:
    Wood, Concrete, Steel, Hardened Steel, Combat Steel.

:p

SV_Building_04_2017-09-28_11-07-20.png

18. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator
    Staff Member

That is for certain textures only. some textues do show what is beneath.

19. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Technically this is not possible, as adding a texture will "replace" the side where it is applied...so the original material is removed.

If you find shared textures that color/look differently on different materials, please make a screenshot, as this is a bug.

rucky likes this.
  20. Solarix

Solarix Lieutenant

Question: Why you are holding textures in such a limited file? Would'nt it be better, to store little textures in a seperate database or directly in a directory? So (mabye) the way for adding own textures could be easyer...