A7.0 Experimental - FAQ & Feedback: Metal Textures

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    These are all the new and reworked textures.

If you want to give feedback on a specific texture, please specify like this

P1 (2,3) = Page 1 , Line 2, Column 3
    P2 (4,8) = Page 2, Line 4, Column 8

Note: White blank textures indicate unused slots!

- PAGE 1 -
    20170926091136_1.jpg

- PAGE 2 -
    20170926091144_1.jpg

- BACK / LIGHTED -
    20170926091156_1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. TiwBras

TiwBras Commander

my fashion mind going crazy S2

3. Ramachandra

Ramachandra Captain

Gorgeous textures!

4. Kogami

Kogami Lieutenant

Wow after trying these textures in game, they are amazingly detailed!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  5. Kronoss

Kronoss Captain

I love the new textures but now they make the line painting(symbols) look like ass. Maybe alter the paint to cover more (nooks and crannies) of the newer 3D texture. This applies to all new textures.

6. Pyston

Pyston Captain

I have played with the textures just a little bit. Microsoft is sending me a lot of work lately, so I more detailed review will have to come later this week.

First I will say based on what I have seen these textures will bring brand new life to some existing builds, and inspire new builds. With the textures we are on the path of being able to create "genres" like cyberpunk, steampunk etc or at the very least have some close relation. This helps to make worlds and builds feel even more unique. I very much welcome the addition of textures. Thank you.

• The SV cockpits are going to need to be texturable. With some of the new random plated metal textures, the SV/HV cockpits look too clean, out of place.

• The textures onP1 (2,7), P1 (2,8) have a static "grey" background color, when you paint these only a certain section gets painted (I think this is a very very very good thing). Is it possible to code the textures on P1 (4:1,2,3,4,7,8) (the "light) textures to behave the same way. Essentially give them the grey color (the dark one) and when we paint the texture that only the "light" (luminescent) portion of the texture gets painted? This way we can have whatever color of lights we want in a ship, but the rest of the texture remains grey and blends with other textures.

What I would REALLY like to see along the lines of the last paragraph is the ability to "toggle" the paint in between the two surfaces. So first mouse click paints the luminescent part, the second click paints the surrounding part and reverts the luminescent to its stock color.

•I know this request is tough because some people might want to paint a hull red for example and want the light texture and the luminescent part to both be red. Ideally it would be nice to be able to paint both surfaces within these textures two different colors, but I have to imagine the coding work is insane.

•The same "light" textures on P1 row 4 also feel a bit too saturated, or "bright". The colors that look most natural with some of these textures (especially P1 (4,6)) are the dark colors. The lighter values look washed out, way too saturated. on this particular texture I personally found the live build to be more accurate).

While I do miss the old light texture. I have to change my position and agree with Banksman. The change to the light being over saturated makes for some cool glowing effects.

Overall however I still feel that painting most of the textures any color outside of dark or medium grey leaves the look too saturated. About the only metal texture that looks good with paint is the clean texture P1 (1,3) as it looks more like a reflective plastic.

Anyway I need to get back to work. Keep up the good work, I am excited to try and bring new life to some of my stuff.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  7. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Ok...so textures are sucking me, I still need to go and work but I found a HUGE issue.

So, let me set this up.

When I build, I have always tried to think of placing specific textures in areas where they would seem most likely due to their utility. For example, a light texture above the head. A "track" texture on the ground where vehicles are meant to enter a CV.

One of the things I have done with many of my bed rooms has been to use the "Double doors" texture on the thin 1/8th flat block to simulate a closet or wardrobe (I think its the same texture on the metal grow plots).

So, here is the issue. I am running around looking textures, assessing their usefulness and their graphic and I run into one of my "closets" and here is where the issue comes in. I instinctively hit "F" to interact with the closet as if it were a prop! :)

Well done devs! Well done! Paralax textures make the builds feel much much more authentic!

banksman45, Mikemc, SilvRav and 2 others like this.
  8. H.P. Strangelove

Ok, so some feedback. Overall I like the new textures and especially the POM effect. Some of the stuff that can be accomplished with interiors is quite nice.

However, some issues:

- Some of the texture resolutions appear low in-game with noticeable pixelation P2 (2,4) in particular. Texture resolution is locked to half on the exp branch...perhaps that has something to do with it.

- Large scale surface areas - namely exterior ship armor. Of the new armor/metal textures, P2 (2,1) is the most usable because the pattern can be rotated and scaled over several blocks larger than the standard 1x1. Many of the others, in particular P2 (2,4) look nifty at the offset in terms of detail but when painted over larger surfaces look quite bad due to repetition and lack of dynamics. It's 'ok' for creating rust buckets and stuff that looks like it came from a junkyard. But in terms of clean aesthetics, not so much.

- Many of the textures do not wrap properly on corners. Some of this can be addressed with allowing more rotation angles.

- To address the noise for certain textures, I'm wondering if would be possible to increase resolution with an option to scale a single texture across a grid (4x4) in the future?

- P1 (1,8): I love the scuffed marks on this texture as it allows a damaged / battleworn look for armor. However, I think the actual marks should also be a texture channel (or symbol) to allow painting dents/marks onto other surfaces.

Pyston likes this.
  9. Max Archer

Max Archer Lieutenant

I'm loving these new textures. They've definitely made it more possible to get that sleek futuristic look, the inside of my PvP ship looks like something out of The Expanse's MCRN or Mass Effect.

One hopefully minor request, though - would it be possible to add the removed "wood" texture, the one that looked like painted plywood, back in? It was great for making spaces that felt comfortable but not too luxurious, like enlisted quarters or mess halls on ships for example.

jmtc, Starwing6 and Pyston like this.
  10. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Its funny, I was thinking Expanse too, I even started calling one texture the "expanse texture" to myself. LOL
    I was thinking more Rocinante than MCRN, but I think your description is more accurate.

11. Pyston

Pyston Captain

I have always had a solid 60 FPS with everything in game maxed. With the parallax set on high, I am dropping to 30 FPS.

Lowering shadows to the one below high (I think medium) and setting parallax to lowtook me back up to 60 FPS. I could notice some drop in fidelity with the lowered shadows, but I could not see any difference with the parallax set to medium.

The good thing is that even with parallax off, the new textures still feel really nice.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  12. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Here are how some of the textures are looking in game. Shadows set back to high, but parallax on low.

Love the trac textures in this pic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Can you give me an example, so i know which texture you are talking about (Just screenshot the Texture Tool in public version and tell me page, line and column ..) :)

Pyston likes this.
  14. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    POM will draw a lot of performance as it emulates 3D surfaces...same here. So we decided to make it optional. The texture quality has been reworked apart from POM off or on. :)

Pyston and banksman45 like this.
  15. Max Archer

Max Archer Lieutenant

Sure, it's the one highlighted in yellow here. It works really well for replicating the wood panelling used in real warships and military bases.

It seems to have been directly replaced by P2 (1,4), which I like a lot but which seems like more of a floor texture to me.

Attached Files:

16. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

WOW THAT interior is fantastic .. It reminds you of something you would see in Star Citizen or some other major game.
    These textures are beyond amaznig.

Pyston likes this.
  17. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I used one of the new textures on my whole entire ship to give it that old warship look. I'm honestly impressed by these textures. They are awesome.

Screenshot (881).png

Screenshot (882).png

Screenshot (895).png

Starwing6, Pyston and rucky like this.
  18. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Captain

Damn you Eleon..... for stealing my time. THIS will steal a lot of my time just building and building and building, painting and texturing. Shame on you!!!!!111oneoneeleven :-D

Starwing6 and Siege Inc. like this.
  19. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    :D

banksman45 likes this.
  20. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

If you add more textures in the future:

I'd like more metallic, non-emissive textures that can be used as floor/ceiling panels like p1 (2,5), p2 (1,6) OR p1 (3,7) p1(4,8) p2 (2,6) if they weren't emissive. P1(2,3) is nice but a little busy. I'd like options that are a little more subtle and can be used on large areas without being too overwhelming.

P2 (4,2) and (4,3) could use some work. They've never taken colors very well and now they look especially bad compared to the new textures.

p2(2,4) does not line up properly on cube half blocks.

I'd like a texture that looks like an access panel or hatch. You removed the two I was using for that purpose. Also textures that have emissive computer consoles(which would work fabulously on SVs). What you've added is much appreciated but I think we're going to want/need a lot more eventually.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017