A7.0 Experimental - FAQ & Feedback: New Building Tools

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    New / updated Creative Tools
    - Switch Mirror Plane between "center" and "edge"
    - 90° Textur Rotation
    - Medium and large painting area for texture and color tool.
    - Cubic block-selection: copy, paste, cut and delete an area in all three dimension!
    - Save block-selections to a repository and use them anywhere

A. How does switching the mirror plane work?
    1. Open Build Helper menu (n)
    2. Select checkbox "SYMMETRY PLANE" and select the axis (XY, XZ, YZ)
    3. Click on a block with LMB = sets mirror plane to CENTER
    4. Click on the same block again = sets mirror plane to EDGE
    > Swap CENTER-EDGE by mouse-clicking the mirror axis
    > Deactivate mirror plane by selecting the NONE radiobutton

B. How does 90° textur rotation work?
    1. Apply textur to the block
    2. After having applied the textur, "apply" it again
    > Rotates texture 1x 90°

C. How does M- and L paint/textur area work?
    1. Equip either tool (color or paint - works the same)
    2. RMB to open the selection menu
    3. Click the checkbox on the bottom: S = 1 Bloc, M = , L=
    4. Select an apply textur/color
    > Note: Works with "apply to full blocks"

Functionality note: The area-color/paint does work like a spray can! This means it has a certain "spray cone" size, depending on the area selection (M or L). When you pull the trigger, "raycasts" are sprayed inside this cone, coloring or texturing any surface they can hit. Like with a spray can, the painted area is larger if you are farthe away - even if you use the same area size - and it fully depends on your position realtive to the painted structre when spraying!

D. How does the Cubic Block selection work?
    1. Open the Build Helper menu (N)
    2. Click onto your building with left mouse button > A blue honeycomb box will appear, showing an axis cross with a small single-block, double-block, small single arrow and double-arrow on each axis
    > Usability
    - Click the small single block = add +1 block area in this direction
    - Click and hold double-block and drag in this direction = adds block areas as long as you hold&drag the mouse
    - Click the small single-arrow = move the entire selection +1 to this side
    - Click and hold on the double-arrow and drag the mouse = moves the entire selection as long as you hold&drag the mouse
    >> You can always close the Build Helper menu (N), reposition your view for a better view and hit N to proceed with the area selection process!
    >> To remove the selection, hit the "REMOVE SELECTION" (Re) button in the build helper menu
    3. Use one of the buttons:
    COPY (Co) = makes a copie of the highlighted area
    PASTE (Pa) = insert the last copied element (or Blueprint Part) at the point of the current highlighted area
    CUT (Cu) = makes a copy of the highlighted area and afterwards deletes its the selections content
    DELETE (De) = deletes the selections content
    4. If you want to save a selection for later use, use the "Blueprint Parts" feature.
    - SAVE TO LIST (Sa) = Make an area selection on a structure and click the button. Give your selection a name and click OK. This will save the highlighted element to the BP Parts list for later use.
    - REPLACE (Re) = Select one of your bp parts on the list click OK to overwrite the part
    - COPY TO SELECTION (Co) = Highlighte area will jump to the position where you copied that BP Part from
    - SHOW BP PARTS = Highlights ALL the BP Parts of your list on the building/structures they were copied from - at the same time.

E. How to copy/cut and paste a higlighted area?
    1. Make an area selection (See D.)
    2. Use the buttons COPY or CUT
    3. Move the higlighted area to the place where you want to insert (Use the single- and double-arrows on the axis; See D.)
    4. Click the button PASTE once to fix the insertion point
    5. click the PASTE button a 2nd time to finally place the part
    > NOTE: This will OVERWRITE anything that lies within the highlighted area!
    > NOTE: As long as you do not hit COPY for another selection, you can paste the copied area over and over again.
    > NOTE: if you use REMOVE SELECTION after the 1st click of PASTE, this will clear the cache and the copied part in the cache is removed

F. How to insert a Blueprint Part?
    1. Open Build Helper Menu (N)
    2. Select a part from the list
    3. Use COPY TO SELECTION
    4. Hit COPY
    5. Move the highlighted area to a point where you want to insert the part
    6. Hit PASTE
    > NOTE: This will OVERWRITE anything that lies within the highlighted area!
    > NOTE: As long as you do not use the same workflow for another BP Part, you can paste the selected part over and over.

G. How to decrease a highlighted area in size (XYZ)
    1. Click on the double-blocks on the axis you want to decrease the highlighted aread
    2. Hold and drag the mouse in the opposite direction

________Q&A__________

Q: Can i copy parts from a SV or HV and insert to BA or CV (or vice-versa)?
    A: No. The game filters your BP Parts depending on where you mouse cursor points at

Q: Can i use BP parts from one BA for another BA?
    A: Currently you can use BP parts only at the structure you copied them from

Q: Will BP Parts be deleted when i leave my savegame?
    A: No. The BP Parts are persistent in this savegame until you delete them manually

Q: Can i use a BP Part from savegame A in savegame B?
    A: No.

Planned improvements:

- Honecomb visual will be reworked (fainter)
    - We plan to add a "ghost preview" for copying and pasting
    - We plan to add rotation of selections prior to pasting
    - We plan to allow more than just one 90° rotation for textures
    - We plan to add hotkeys for Copy/Cut/Paste/Delete operations
    - We plan to allow using BP Parts between structures of the same kind (CV-CV, BA-BA, SV-SV, HV-HV)
    - Insertion of BP Parts, which currently relies on the "Copy to Selection" mechanic will be changed to "insert on mouse cursor position"

Known issues
    - Blueprint parts cannot be used in a different playfield
    - Rotation of Textures does not work on some blocks

SELECTION BOX (aka "Build Helper Menu")
    20170926083525_1.jpg

SHOW BP PARTS
    20170926080406_1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    dichebach, oojimaflip, Fluffy and 9 others like this.
  2. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I posted this in the general announcement but I also want to post here:

FRIENDLY WARNING FOR EVERYONE!

Make no mistake - this: "Medium and large painting area for texture and color tool." is AWESOME and fun and interesting and exciting(its gonna blow your mind,) but before you go and use it on your giant super detailed build that you have been working on for a month or year or whatever, practice with it FIRST. Try it on a few vessels/Bases and then come back to the other build.

Reason being; you can wipe out a LOT of work really fast by accident. True, there is an undo feature, but I just want to give people a friendly heads up. :cool:

@oojimaflip

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  3. Ramachandra

Ramachandra Captain

Excellent! We needed this tools badly.

Fractalite likes this.
  4. wildboy

wildboy Lieutenant

can we have someone make a youtube of it..and no sorry i can not stream but maybe @LiftPizzas can do something just love that guy :)

bosniachero and old_guy like this.
  5. Kogami

Kogami Lieutenant

Amazing! :D perfect

6. H.P. Strangelove

Not sure if this is just an issue with the facing, but texture rotation doesn't seem to work at all on individual block faces for certain blocks - this makes it almost impossible to line up the decals on any of the old/new textures when building with corner/triangle blocks.

Edit: Seems that loading pre 7.0 BPs prevents the texture rotation from working on certain blocks. Re-saving the BP allows rotation.

Some of the decal alignment issues on corner blocks can be fixed if the texture can be rotated more than 90°. Since this is planned anyway, we'll see.

Starwing6 and Fractalite like this.
  7. vicomt

vicomt Captain

Ooj just so happens to have gone on holiday for a week today.....LOL.

[Edit] - I'm playing with it now, seems interesting, although I really want to be able to reposition myself whilst having the ability to alter the box. it feels clunky to have to switch between them.

[Edit2] - OK, so no copying between ships, no copying between ship types. This is a brilliant start guys, and what we've been asking for for years, however, in its current form, copy & paste lacks viability for anything other than copying small details (that you've already built on part of a ship) to other parts of the same ship. I'm disappointed, but happy that we've got what we've got, and look forward to seeing it turn into a builders paradise ;)

Meanwhile, the mirror plane and textures - Awesome.

oojimaflip and Fractalite like this.
  8. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Of course he is...! Ha! He finally gets the feature he has been dreaming of and is, instead, off a fresh bikinis wax, likely lying in the sun on some distant tropical island sipping some pleasant fruity alcoholic beverage. :p

Hahahahaha. Love me later Ooj. :D

On a related note to your post, one of the coolest things I have seen done with the copy and paste feature was by @Kieve . He copied and pasted an entire SV three times to make:

7.0_2017-09-19_19-52-58.jpg

And then:

7.0_2017-09-19_20-08-38.jpg

Where, in that last one, the third vessel is under water and is propping the whole array up for the epic screenshot.

9. vicomt

vicomt Captain

Yeah, he showed me that screen earlier, I just didn't understand what it was at the time.... that just so creative. I don't think that way :(, more logical/physical ;)

tbh I can't wait to see what people learn how to do with it, then I can attempt to stand on the shoulders of giants ;)

oojimaflip and Fractalite like this.
  10. H.P. Strangelove

Texture resolution is locked to half in options - will this be changed?

11. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Captain

Looks good, but this really needs to get expanded so you can copy/paste from one BP to another - so you can make an actual library of 'modules' you can use in your crafting.

Jonofwrath, rucky and rainyday like this.
  12. Solarix

Solarix Lieutenant

Texture rotation does not work at all blocks!

Mikemc and Starwing6 like this.
  13. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

I think Elion fear an uproar that people just copy other builders designs into their own, calling that then their work.
    Blueprints have original author included; I fear these copy/paste parts... not.... yet.
    So make a starter block == your blueprint; now copy over a design from someone else => still your design.
    I'm not sure if its feasible... reasonable... to include a list of modules with the original author name... can get long...

14. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Check the "Planned Improvements" Paragraph ;-)

oojimaflip and vicomt like this.
  15. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Known issue. (Just forgot to add to the Known issues list above)

16. vicomt

vicomt Captain

thanks, missed that on first read ;) makes me even happier :D

17. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    :D

18. JuStX2

JuStX2 Commander

Good Start; But I would really like if you made that section a bit more noticeable; after all this is a rough draft and people are going to be wondering what the final plan is. Also note I missed the Planned Features Section the first time reading the article because of the formating - maybe give it a colored title or a header-sized font. Actually it is colored what threw me was the Q&A being non-colored. Also Maybe move the Q&A and Planned Features in before the Information about Control Schemes - since it is slightly more important.

In All Fairness though: The Fact is the planned features list largely makes sense given the nature of the game - so It's probably easy for people who actually devote some thought power to their posts to find the reasonable list even without the section.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  19. Ramachandra

Ramachandra Captain

I have tested the tools and definitely useful, but not user friendly yet. At least not the tools to do lot quick copy-paste jobs. Sometimes I find the mouse pointer is a bit off the aim for the selection tool or, I just wish to grab the selector on the middle and move it freely with the mouse.
    Or to be able to fly arround while the menu is on also desirable.

The large area texturing/pinting tool is deadly, but seems have a problem on broken blocks when facing the player with the broken side. Sometimes not willing to paint few block easy, even the gun is directly aimed towards such blocks.

rucky likes this.
  20. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

Some of the new textures aren't playing nice with the XY plane.

Texture Rotation: It would be nice if it kept rotating around instead of returning to it's original position. Seems like it only has two positions instead of four. Between this and the other issue I still end up having to rotate blocks to get the textures to line up.

Medium and large painting area for texture and color tool: Was there a particular reason you choose to make it paint an uneven surface area instead of using a perfect square? I think I'd prefer a square. /shrug

Texturable stairs: It would be nice if we could use more wood and stone textures on these. I understand you're currently working within certain limitations but this is an example of why you might want to consider putting in the work to vastly increase the number of textures you're able to add.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    H.P. Strangelove likes this.