A7.0 Experimental - FAQ & Feedback: Offline Protection enhancements

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

Changes:
    - added delay "ProtectDelay" before OP is active. Can be configured in dedicated.yaml!
    - turrets continue shooting but do not use ammo when OP is active

What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. Hakon

Hakon Ensign

I like the idea.
    But what about the protected area? Has it grown? Or does it now scale with the protected structure? Would be nice if we could be sure that the whole base is protected

3. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

The Area should have scaled with the structure ... do you have a savegame where it does not?

4. vxsote

vxsote Lieutenant

In alpha 6, it is basically impossible to see the active OP box from a reasonable distance. Usually the first clue that OP is active is that turrets aren't shooting.

In 7, with turrets still active, I'm afraid I won't be able to safely get close enough to see if OP is on or not. Wasting time and ammo to engage turrets that cannot be defeated will be very frustrating. A decision to engage/not-engage requires clear understanding of the state of OP before getting within firing range, so please increase the visibility range of OP to something beyond max turret range.

Also, in line with Hakon's comment above, we really need to be able to see where OP will be active for our own structures/ships. That should be something that can be toggled.

5. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I think I have simple solution for @Hummel-o-War

What if the bases/ship names appear in a different colour in the HUD? You can then see protection is active from a distance.

If a colour is not an option, perhaps append "(Offline Protection Active)" to the structure name.

The Dirt Wizard, Repier and Mortlath like this.
  6. Miamato

Miamato Lieutenant

From my point of view turrets should be offline when OP triggers. The main reason - this will be definitely abused. For example in some other threads it was said that some players build several bases around main one and put the surround base to OP regularly. So this will just cause indestructible bases and a lot of pain for common players.

7. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

If the turrets are off, players abuse the protected bases by setting up traps while offline. This is Eleon's attempt at countering the problem. I'm not sure if this will work, but I do appreciate Eleon is trying to address the issue.

If this doesn't work, you can always run with Offline Protection off.

Arrclyde and Mortlath like this.
  8. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

Why don't turrets under offline protection have halved their range, when they shoot (but don't use their ammo)?

That way it will be safer to fly-by next to base, and it will be also easier to see/notice if it is under protection of not. If shoots from long (normal) distance, then off-line if OFF, but if you get closer and you see off-line box and identify then you get shot by turrets.

On some planets with higher gravity (and shorter weapon ranges) you can escape without serious damage when you pass-by players bases - but on other with low gravity and very long ranges (and with 3-4 BA gun towers or BA firebases) free moving and/or scouting can be impossible on large planet areas ('cose small planets you know :cool:)...

I'm not much of a MP guy, but thing that annoys me most on servers is that bases shoots you before you can see (or identify) them - and in 99% I'm not planning to attack them, just want to fly around to scout & map planet.

9. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

The turrets need to be able to fire at full range. If not, people will setup traps just outside of their "half" range. You will be fired upon whether you are they are offline or not. The only thing that might help is if the range of the marker is higher while offline to give you a warning.

10. Kogami

Kogami Lieutenant

VERY nice! a much needed change, if someone logs off and are being shot does the delay wait for the attackers to stop shooting before the count down or does that mean the attackers only have that small window before the base becomes invulnerable?

Mortlath and randbailey7 like this.
  11. OutlawCecil

OutlawCecil Ensign

Wow definitely didn't see the "turrets keep firing without using ammo" solution coming. I like it but agree, OP should be viewed from further away. I've also been saying all along, there needs to be an alarm or something when somebody logs out to indicate the "countdown timer" until OP activates. If you're looting the person's base, you have no idea OP will turn on any minute...

12. Kogami

Kogami Lieutenant

Well if your attacking someones base you will know their faction tag and can always press b and look to see when the last person of that faction logs off.

13. OutlawCecil

OutlawCecil Ensign

Anybody who's defeated somebody in pvp knows your blood is pumping when you finally get into their base and start looking around. You can't be expected to stop and press b to check on your target(s) every few minutes... You are in grab-and-go mode and/or hunt-for-core mode.

14. demolish50

demolish50 Lieutenant

We must have a way to identify when OP is on or off from a farther distance if the turrets will be on.

Also - how about making the turret on/off with OP an admin option?

15. PhantomX

PhantomX Ensign

I told Corodius about this problem mechanic a LONG time ago. And now you are going to make it worse with active turrets? after most exploiters make death walls.

I'll REPOST the same suggestion I told Corodius again, maybe now you'll listen

Instead of doing the bounding box for the "field" just have to the BLOCK emit an "aura." If possible make the ground between do the same. This kills players who touch it or come within 10-15 meters with lighting or laser your call and prevents damage. As far as traps go, when the field goes down WITH CUES of it going up and down please, it emits a pulse that affects A: the max build range from center of the grid or B: like a turret ranged attack from the furthest points of the grid. This pulse disables enemy weapons till they leave the Area of Effect. To prevent this being exploited it must "CHARGE" between pulses and the pulse is only for Station. ONLY one may fire in an area think residue prevents more blasts

The cues should be blinking Blue and sound. At this time the owned turrets may fire.

This the best case to defeat the DEATHWALL and most exploits I can think of with the current system in place. But, from my experience on the beta team and dealing with you guys doubt this if going to help, but no harm in trying to help

16. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

How about this: just disable all devices except for generators, thrusters, and RCS for all non-faction entities (players included) in the OP area of effect and have that persist for 15 or 30 seconds (for non-faction entities) after the OP field goes down or the non-faction entity leaves the field. This system would have the added advantage of preventing players from layering inactive bases around active bases. Also, give the BA/CV 15 seconds or so of invulnerability when the OP field comes down to counter any traps set by other players (but, if it's a CV, keep its thrusters and RCS offline until the invulnerability ends).

17. IronCartographer

IronCartographer Lieutenant

I suggest that the presence of one OP (device, not active field) should prevent an enemy OP from activating within a certain radius.

For the defending player, this would prevent a new form of abuse enabled by these 7.0 changes: Offensive offline protection, with active indestructible turrets placed in your territory.

For the attacking player, it would allow OP field jamming--no timer needed to prevent combat logging and unexpected OP in combat. (Though this will become less practical if/once CVs are blocked from planets...)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  18. Kogami

Kogami Lieutenant

Having the guns fire without ammo loss during OP is brilliant! It' removes the problem of people building bases around your base while your sleeping and as you log on you get flanked on all sides and die brutally :eek:, also removes ammo draining :) man you guys are on point!

Repier and Arrclyde like this.
  19. SkulkLife

SkulkLife Lieutenant

Hm.. why don't you turn off the turrets automatically when offline protection is activated?

20. IronCartographer

IronCartographer Lieutenant

@SkulkLife That is the old behavior, and it meant that people could do what Kogami just mentioned--surrounding your base with turrets while it was shielded, so that it would be destroyed when you go online again.

What I fear is the new possibility of someone using active OP-shielded turrets offensively, by creating a tower with enough other distractions/cover to last until OP kicks in and creates an indestructible siege weapon.

Kogami likes this.