A7.0 Experimental - FAQ & Feedback: Resource Balancing

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by EleonGameStudios, Sep 30, 2017.

1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer
    Staff Member

• Developer
    We just released Alpha EXP 7.1 and updated the Game Start and Balancing.

We need to know how balanced resource amounts are in our default scenario. Our precalculated numbers say "you will be fine" but results will vary depending on your play style.

Here are some specific questions:
    - Which resources are you constantly lacking?
    - Which resources are too hard to find (and is it good or bad to put some tune into the search)?
    - Which resources do you always have plenty or even so much of, so you don’t give it a thought anymore?
    - Do you enjoy having so many or do you prefer it to be more scarce?
    - How often do you have to rely on mining meteorites?
    - How many POIs do you tend to take apart (if any)?

When posting your test results please make sure to mention your starter planet and difficulty settings (especially ore and deposit amount).

2. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

This post is from the other thread and from 7.0 Experimental, but perhaps can help you too as a compare:

---

As I'm on Akua I can comment on that topic:

Playing on HARD difficulty (for npcs: numbers, difficulty, base attack...) but NORMAL gameplay otherwise (progression, temp, deposits, crafting...):
    Now at level 16 (with akua berries, killing dinos and natives, many night attacking spiders and human monster, 4 drones, and only mining one full deposite each and at least 100-150 rocks) I have

Iron : 4000
    Copper: 3200
    Silicon : 2200
    Cobalt : 170

Akua Berries : Main food supply, still ~750 left (no, it's no mistake)
    Fresh Meat : 170

HV: 1x small
    SV: 1x micro, 1x small
    BA: only additions to starter shelter: 2x Constructor, 6x T1-Fridges (full), 9 Growing Plots (concrete)., 4 Cannon turrets, besides I only did get one double attack of 2 drones each...

--------------------------------------------------------

So as a resume:

I didn't have spend much time going around this time, no civilian POIs etc., only scouting direct surroundings, searching for rocks (which I mined about 100-150 (difficult to say, but they were many many many).
    I have now 12 Growing Plots (9 additional only concrete, as it seems I need the Advanced Constructor for the other one), rolling in Dino stews and Meat Cans for a complete company.

---

The starting was... uhm... unsatisfying at least.

Only Akua berries, mining was a chore (I have a picture of a whole big multi layered mining cave only to find my first ores), surface rocks sometimes dropping nothing, and the first 30+ rocks did not drop any cobalt at all. Only with a lucky finding (I took my micro sv into the blueprint factory and then tossed the antenna thingy from the starter shelter into it, that gave me 2 Cobalt ingots back haha ;-) I could finaly build the Ore scanner, I was level 7-8 already then.

With the ore scanner mining was faster, alot of faster, still it has given me NEITHER more satisfaction NOR zen tranquillization than the old method! On the contrary!

But even without travelling much (which would normally be more my thing), I'm already set!!
    Next time I will try with less Ore deposits.

On the other hand... Cobalt / Rocks / RNG / Multiplayer planets...
    Again I will say that : I DON'T LIKE IT.
    I could get to 100-150 rocks very fast (huge rock buildup in mountain regions (I got 30 rocks in a distance of max 25 meters)), I'm not sure how this will play on highly frequented multiplayer servers where these rocks will not respawn...

edit:

as an idea, at least triple the amount of blobs per ore field (if no performance problem) but reduce ore output by 50% on normal setting. this way you find more blobs, you get more satisfaction but at the end less ore per deposit.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    binhthuy71 and Neal like this.
  3. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

I've seen ore scanner is added to easy and medium difficulty setting at Akua: good move!
    You can ignore most of my complaint above then ;-)

Mortlath and amurayiwestgate like this.
  4. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Hey guys, great news we have a propellant again, yay....

But now energy management is more important, it's great we can use bio fuel to power structures but we still need to do something about hydrogen...

We can harvest hydrogen long before we can do anything with it...

Hydrogen fuel packs need to make a come back....

5. zztong

zztong Captain

This is an easy question to answer. All of them on my starting planet and elsewhere until I have reached whatever building goals I have. I used to (6.x and earlier) need around 2-3 POIs to build everything I needed and another 2-3 until to fill my inventory. In 7.x, with reduced output from the Multitool and the need for a warp-capable SV, I'll probably have to salvage around 5-8 POIs.

In PvE, and without any mechanic to interrupt me, salvaging a POI is just a matter of time. So, for those times when I'm not into "Zen Salvaging", I place my own Core, determine how many ingots of each type are available, and then use the Console/ItemMenu feature to award myself some percentage of the ingots. Then I use the Console/Destroy to remove the POI.

If there were a mechanic to harass me while I salvage then I would probably always "Zen Salvage" instead of using console commands. The Patrol Vessel is a good example. When it is active, I don't use the Console. But many times that I think something is inevitable and just a matter of time, I'll look for a way to use the Console to "Fast Forward."

amurayiwestgate and Mortlath like this.
  6. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator
    Staff Member

and I will reduce the need for Z and E again to what it was to keep it a rare

7. amurayiwestgate

amurayiwestgate Captain
    Staff Member

• Developer
    These were never a "rare". There was plenty of Z and E but simply on other planets.

When you got them as a random loot early on that you would perceive it as rare and as a special reward. But you can say the same thing about all ore you don't have immediate access to. This includes ore which will be introduced in the future, too.

Repier and Mortlath like this.
  8. downwood0

downwood0 Lieutenant

I would say that the #1 biggest issue for me so far (besides RNG killing me on cobalt rocks) is that the starter fuel for drills is time-gated. This really isn't acceptable. Given that the early game is entirely about resource gathering and building with those resources, by time-gating your players to the decomposition (generally) of akua berries, you are creating situations where people are litterally sitting in whatever hide they've built doing absolutely nothing while they wait for food to spoil so that they can make bio fuel so that they can go back to actually playing the game. The one thing a game cannot afford is to purposefully -bore- the players into not playing, which is exactly what the sum effect of this mechanic does.

This is actually the reason I stopped playing BDO. That in essence, to get better at crafting things, you set your character up to process resources and walk away and do something else for a few hours. That's not playing a game, that is literally rewarding you for doing anything but playing the game. That is not a situation that Empyrion is in a position to attempt. You have to keep the players engaged and setting up an early game situation where the players are caught dead in the water until food rots is not going to be a positive way to keep the interest of players.

At least in BDO the resource grind is mid-game. I ran into a full play stoppage in my first 7.0 game 45 minutes into the game. For a new player that's still well within the steam allowed 'return for full refund' time frame. Experienced players will probably just go out and pick as many akua berries as they can find nearby but I still ran out of berries to gather before I had rotten food to make into biofuel.

Mortlath likes this.
  9. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

fixed:

;-)

Mortlath likes this.
  10. Johndoe444

Johndoe444 Ensign

This could cause the death of multi-player servers..... Admins would have to reset planets and moons on a daily basis. Milti-tools are more frustrating than they should be. Waiting for a random ore drops to get off planet sucks. I usually go off planet asap, but structuring the game to force you off the starter planet in order to progress is not in the spirit of "open world"..

11. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

I've started a new game, same seed, and.. MUUCH BEETTTTER!
    More plants, Mules, I think less Akua berries, it feels much more alive now, and walking around is again more rewarding!!
    Please leave it this way! It was good!

Edit: MEAT!!!

__SURVIVAL__7.1_2017-09-30_22-03-09.png

(double klick for larger picture!! - perhaps a bit less would be still okay, but it's better than before!)

Another Edit:

WOW, soo much life here, does it correspond to the *high* spawn rate I set to enemies?
    It's a totally different game start than 7.0 (even it's the same seed I took)
    GREAT!

__SURVIVAL__7.1_2017-09-30_22-17-59.png

12. Johndoe444

Johndoe444 Ensign

You need sea weed for the biofuel BP.... why not berries. Hard to find sea weed on most planets.

downwood0 likes this.
  13. amurayiwestgate

amurayiwestgate Captain
    Staff Member

• Developer
    There is zero requirement to wait for a random drop to be able to leave the planet. What are you refering to?

14. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

okay, but at Akua, it's again in the lakes... lots of...

15. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Captain

Nothing forcing you off the starter planet at all. You can get cobalt from rock removal, or from POIs (both friendly and hostile). The only requirement for MP is rocks that respawn more frequently than deposits/POIs.

16. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Captain

My last seed on Akua for 7.0 had three large lakes - two of which were too shallow to have any seaweed at all. The third only had 2-3 small patches of the stuff. I had to swim all three lakes (about 3 days worth of swimming) just to get a stack of ~40 seaweed. It's hit and miss with the RnG.

Mortlath likes this.
  17. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

okay, just with the cobalt from rocks it seems...

18. downwood0

downwood0 Lieutenant

excellent, I only saw the 1266 patchnotes and the long list of links below it. I didn't read down far enough to see the 1265 patchnotes as well

19. Johndoe444

Johndoe444 Ensign

There were no cobalt nodes on Akua. Also no Z or N on Akua Moon.

20. amurayiwestgate

amurayiwestgate Captain
    Staff Member

• Developer
    But you don't need Cobalt to build a SV to go to the orbit or the moon.

Whatever you find there will enable you to build a SV warpdrive which brings you to nearby planets.
    There is absolute no requirement to rely on random drops.

binhthuy71 likes this.