Logistics, Virtual Toolbar, Modular Containers

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Mac 2

Mac 2 Ensign

Im usually quiet, people always find something to complain about in a game. I have been playing Empyrion from the beginning almost 2000 hrs. Until today. The logistics crap that was added is the worst thing i have ever seen. Have you ever heard if aint broke dont fix it? I can say that this was my favorite game have bought copies for my friends and talked it up. But I cant play with this crap that has been added.
    Sry and disappointed,
    Mac

2. Bollen

Bollen Captain

I'll have to post my support for this here since I'm not able to start a new thread on it (despite being a "Commander" I don't have enough privileges...?)

I've tried to get used to this new mechanics, but you're right! It's a nightmare! I have always had my weapon in slot 1 so that if or when I get attacked by surprise (creature or Zirax) I can, in one mouse wheel movement, draw my weapon and defend myself, like you would if had a holster. Now, every time I get attacked, I have to run away like a fool while scrolling desperately drawing all the wrong things at my enemies: blocks, flash light, multitool, a banana...!

Why would anybody think that this was good addition is beyond me... Full wheel up - empty hands for swimming for example, Full wheel down - weapon. Not this endless scrolling.... Sorry Eleon, hate to complain but this is the only bad change I've ever seen in this game...

3. paxxo1985

paxxo1985 Commander

I am sorry for who defend this update but is the worst update ever seen.
    As i already said put this total nosense cargostuff in a separate advanced menu for maniacs of hard games and give us a simple game like was before.
    Dont focus on volume too. Will be the real game killer.
    Finally the real customers that dont play experimental are coming to forum and i already see a lot bad reviews and angry people.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  4. Philipp

Philipp Captain

I need much longer than before to loot or store my items and i think this new system is really the worst thing that this update brought to us.

Bigfeet, Runeshadow and Lidan like this.
  5. EstebanLB01

EstebanLB01 Lieutenant

Please, now that weight and volume limitations for inventories and containers are on the works, REMOVE slot count limitation on inventory and containers. For the love of GOD, REMOVE IT!

6. EstebanLB01

EstebanLB01 Lieutenant

Bug: The Container Extension shape options don't have the correct capacity values

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Captain

8. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

I think this may have released prematurely. Some concerns were expressed on the Experimental feedback threads but the official version did not really take feedback already provided into account. Admittedly, some of it was not that helpful, because some people are hostile to the new system. But I also think there was some good feedback, and even for the people hostile to it I think they'd have an easier time if a few things were improved.

This includes:
    • You should be able to pick items up and interact with them from the input/output views.
    • Having player inventory come up on the right is confusing, it should always default to the left side, as that is consistent with where inventory appears.
    • Removing all internal storage from Constructor and Food Processor is confusing/complex for new users
      • It is very nice to be able to link it to other storage (e.g. food processor to fridge) but it doesn't seem like that should be a requirement before using it at all
      • A limited internal storage unit, for either input, output, or both, would be nice
      • I personally have gotten used to the change and don't care about it, but I think the change would be better for new users, as well as some existing users/scenarios
    • The input and output should default to something. If you haven't set it, it should default to the closest box.
    • Without having any sort of automation system, having only a single input and output makes it hard to organize goods
      • Current situation encourages having everything dumped in one big box, which is disorganized
      • Having multiple inputs instead of a single input would be nice
      • Having multiple outputs would also be helpful, in this case you would assign a type to a box (e.g. ores) and then all items of that type go there
    • Cargo box inventory has a width of 8 squares but when viewed in constructor, it has a width of 5 squares. It would be nice to get it consistent so if you organize stuff in one view, it appears consistently in the other view. Suggestion is to standarize on 6 squares:
      • Decrease cargo box inventory to 6 squares (from 8)
      • Increase player inventory width to 6 squares (from 5) - there's space
      • Increase constructor input/output view to 6 squares (from 5) - you can reduce the construction queue a bit to accomodate it
    • When input = output, instead of showing the contents of the output, that part should collapse and let you see more items from the input
    There's also concerns about mass/volume but I'll comment on that separately as it is now a separate thread.

9. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

everyone just calm down. I have cleaned the thread up a bit.

Ask and talk nicely and show some respect if you expect a decent reply. Otherwise your post will just get deleted.

This is an alpha game , something you accepted and agreed to when you pushed that buy button on steam.

You bought a single every changing game to TEST and provide feedback.

arcticsnowyt, Arguro and Bollen like this.
  10. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

I must be confused. I built a large constructor to use it I need to connect it to a container. To build a container controller or extension I need an hv , sv, large or advanced constructor, but I can not use any of them without a container.

so we are all forced to build at least one old-style storage container. Good thing they were added back although I thought that was only temporary. Is somebody a fan of catch 22

Lidan likes this.
  11. Lidan

Lidan Ensign

Interesting!Can one of the staff explain to me what to do a level 1 player with the drilling ore?
    We'll make 100 roads to ride somewhere...Perhaps in a month or two he will be able to build the first ship!
    An ordered person keeps each type of material in another box.Now, in order to make an object,
    we are making a box where we put the material in the pile, who will have a link with a builder.Nice!Well thought!
    Why simplify when we can complicate?!
    Personal inventory can not be seen, any object placed there disappears.
    Do you think that the game becomes more interesting if the player has to do 50 maneuvers to do something ?
    Why you have not implemented a wireless card object that we can optionally use?It's just a way of losing precious time to accomplish something in the game.
    Indeed, as somebody said here, the game has become a puzzle!
    On the existing servers, more than half have been retained in version 8.7.1.Okay they did!

12. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Reposting my feedback for the new thread:

UI for the logistics system: I don't like lots of drop down menus. I'd prefer icons I can click on. It's basically a Windows folder system with less functionality.

What I'd like to see:
    Ability to switch between list form and icons.
    Left hand side player inventory. Right hand side list of accessible structures/devices/ships in range.
    Click on an icon to access the folder/container and see what's inside.
    Drag and drop functionality to transfer files/items.
    Ability to sort container icons by name or file size/volume.
    Ability to rename containers/folders from the logistics menu.
    Ability to split stacks of items.

13. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right that a file browser approach might be best. I know I'd definitely prefer to use the list view (it'd feel much more like the Fallout 4 inventory interface that way).

14. Arguro

Arguro Lieutenant

First reaction while playing a couple of hours
    1) It is un-intuitive in its current form. I suspect some players get very frustrated (as this thread shows ;-)

2) The system is lacking especially from the early survival aspect.
    Example : I have this basic HV with a couple of boxes. I drill a hole manually. I get promethium. Can't pick it up because to heavy. Need to
    bring the HV into the hole to have network. It's impossible to get the HV out again without drilling for half an hour. Solution : Tractor beam? Wider Log. Network?

3) Also the whole F4/Connect plug/Exit modal is WAAYYY to complicated:
    Suggestion : I can look at a structure and press the L key (Sorry light has to move over) and it brings me into logistics mode. Maybe CTRL+L
    will give me immediate Network and Network Toolbar.

4) Give more hints of what is expected of the player when he can't pick up 20 big blocks. I was scratching my head with a fellow player on the
    server for an half an hour.

That said... I do LOVE the system and what it will bring, especially with the right feedback and evolution. I hope to see some serious UI rework though. And please ELEON, HOTKEYs are your friend. Function Keys are not. ;-)

Lidan and Siege Inc. like this.
  15. paxxo1985

paxxo1985 Commander

Steam reviews

Cattura.JPG

WELCOME Logistics, Virtual Toolbar and Modular Containers!!!

Mac 2, Politary and Runeshadow like this.
  16. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

This is actually a really good point to make, and hopefully its taken to heart. Consistency is vital in a good UI. (much like player inventory should be on left more consistently).

17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Captain

The steam stats are starting to look a little grim as well. We should be seeing a massive upswing in people playing in line with previous updates but the player numbers are flat at best. Once they average the recent stuff out and flatten the graph I think we'll be seeing an overall downturn in play time throughout this update and testing phase. (and that's with the game on sale as well)

Runeshadow likes this.
  18. Andipro

Andipro Lieutenant

I've tried for many hours now getting warm with this new feature - but in the end i must give up. This new feature introduced in this manner make the game overcomplicated, slow and un-intuitiv. But i'm with you Eleon! The idea behind this new logistic mechanic is okay - but the half-hearted and half-conceived (partially) implementation is a catastrophical disaster!

19. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

The logistics UI has usability issues that turn people off. They should have worked this further before releasing to a bigger audience. It will work well with automation but automation isn't here yet. What we have is a system that is harder to use in the earlier game when you first drop a constructor or food processor and try to use it for the first time. The volume system is off by default, but it is inevitable people will try it, and of course it makes a bad first impression because the volume stats aren't set right. So those two features seem like "the wrong direction". Not because they are the wrong direction, but because they were released prior to being refined.

I know early access is itself a beta, but people would generally at least expect each major release to be better than the last one. This one doesn't feel that way. It feels like kind of a letdown compared to Alpha 8 or Alpha 6, which were packed with new stuff.

I accept the changes because I know that mass/volume will balance the game and add to gameplay over the long term, but I worry about it having been introduced in a way that may have turned off some players and will hurt reviews, which will impact new players buying the game, which in turn affects how much money they have to continue it. I don't understand why it went from experimental to release so quickly. Alpha 8 stayed in experimental for like 3 months. This should have done the same. They could have finished the "part II" of Alpha 9, not to mention refine the UI based on feedback. If it had more new "good stuff", and the rough edges of logistics/volume could have been more polished, it would have went over better I think.

20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Captain

Yeah it was definately rushed out! We didn't even get the normal release candidates that give server owners the heads up that they need to prepare for the update. Which I'm betting went down well with folks. While I disagree with mass and volumn being a balancing force I think you're spot on with the rest of your post.

Arguro, Bigfeet and Runeshadow like this.