Logistics, Virtual Toolbar, Modular Containers

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    @1: Reason? Too many clicks? What exactly?
    @2: Connect to your HV/Container > drilling moves ore directly into the cargo hold
    @3: Using F with any container brings up the logistic menu as well. Using T switches your toolbar to virtualT and back
    @4: See 2.

2. Runeshadow

Runeshadow Captain

Too many clicks is a good summary.

Back in the 80's I saw the first digital devices and personal computers roll out. Endless menus and tedium followed. Now I see analog knobs on the front of digital devices. Having to go through even 2 steps is unacceptable if it was previously possible to do the action in 1 step.

The constructor is what I need to do a job. The access should be right there. I now must access 3 devices to do 1 action. Access the Input Box to load mats. Access the Constructor to start the job, then access the Output Box to collect the items.

Atola, G Stryker 97, elmo and 3 others like this.
  3. Politary

Politary Ensign

When you open your inventory, your inv tab is on the left, but when you access a storage, it's on the right. New interface is not really good and all this logistics system shouldn't be a top priority at all unless bad game perfomance in multiplayer and bad netcode are fixed.

Fixing bugs and refining the game should be higher priority than adding new features.

4. Schadwe

Schadwe Ensign

I lost everything in my inventory and Everything in the inventories of all of my constructors! Where did they go??

5. Runeshadow

Runeshadow Captain

Hello Schadwe , it is best to start a new game with this update. Your constructors do not have their own inventory anymore. When you access the constructor, use the drop-down menus to assign cargo boxes to the input and output of the constructor.

G Stryker 97 likes this.
  6. TheState

TheState Ensign

This update is bad. It breaks fundamental aspects of the game for what?

People said they wanted a logistics system. I think most people were thinking a smart logistics system like space engineers that can sort based on type. You drop off your stuff and it sorts it for you. Not this.

NOT this

As many others have said, it adds unneeded complexity, is poorly done on the UI side, and breaks constructors. I don't need to repeat all their points.

In a small secondary list of things that need fixed again:
    Revert the alien cores to what they were, a neutral enemy faction so we don't have to deal with the AI faction rep.
    Autobrake off still slows down in space? There is nothing in space to slow you down!
    Furnaces do not play nice with the logic system
    Beretta M9s (your projectile pistol model) do not have that much recoil

Positives?
    AI levels and vessel deco are cool.

Runeshadow and paxxo1985 like this.
  7. Schadwe

Schadwe Ensign

That's not good programming. How hard would it have been at the minimum to drop all of the inventories to the ground?

G Stryker 97 likes this.
  8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Putting the player inventory on the left will probably reduce the number of frustrated players by half just by itself. I hope this change can be hotfixed in soon.

9. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Already on the list :)

Bollen, ravien_ff and Siege Inc. like this.
  10. Zackey_TNT

Zackey_TNT Ensign

An alpha game which at last count has been in early access since 2015. That's 3 years and 4 months.
    The game does not deserve to be shielded any longer as someone's "garage project" Eleon is a big developer now.

Alpha early access does not shield the game from criticism. Especially when it's been in such a state for 3+ years

11. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    It does not break anything so far. Possibly we need to smoothen how Constructors and Container-Assigns work.

But other than that? You still have the same amount of clicks when looting anything and the new Constructor-Assign-Container System will allow you to build up low-grade production lines. See the example in the 1st post. You even can loot a POI and no need to walk up to your vessel anymore!

A few things are still to be added. Thats also what the initial Announcement said ;)

This is an AUTOMATIZATION system and will be added in a future update. The Logistic system with container being assignable as differnt in- and outputs is already preparing for that.

Both should be fixed in the next public update (hotfix should come to EXP anytime today or tomorrow)

12. paxxo1985

paxxo1985 Commander

Untrue. Before i can do all simply putting all in the contructor and take directly from it.

Now i need to

- Put stuff inside a cargo box

- open constructor and start the recipe (if i forgot some component i need to search again the cargobox and put what was missing and reopen the constructor AGAIN)

- open cargobox and take stuff.

Is 3 against one of before. (Always if you dont miss some components on step 2)

Well put the logistic system when AUTOMATIZATION will be ready too. SOON*tm

I give you a great advice. Push an hotfix removing this insane system and push on experimental when AUTOMATIZATION system is ready. Thank you.

13. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    That's correct as i also said, but if it is possible to reduce the clicks, the devs will for sure go this route.

14. Loke

Loke Ensign

This!:

Empyrion is tidious as it was before this A9 patch. I want more time to play and less time to like sort ammo around in different ammo boxes to keep up redundance in PVP fighting and other logistic functions. I dont mind advanced logistic in a game but I should be able to set the logistic road once on a construction, then done.

I got enough tidious elements at work, dont need any un-nessesary in game.....This new patch kind of killed it for me. Hope you guys at Eleon see this and come up with a rather quick fix.....

Sincerely

Loke

Lidan likes this.
  15. aprodigy

aprodigy Ensign

funny (longer) side note from a newbie after following a lot of the discussion going on in this thread...

since i'm not used as much to the previous releases or to the game as a whole as many of you guys, i seem to feel wayyyy more relaxed about the 9.0.3 update as compared to many of the experienced players around here or on STEAM. and as far as i'm concerned, this all has always been seem that way with just any "survival" game.

the experienced players need to adjust heavily which results most of all times in frustration among this special group. new players, however, are not used what once used to be but instead, simply adjusts to whats going on right now and naturally doesn't look back.

i started the game playing last sunday, the day before 9.0.3 came out. new game, hassle anyways, but got used to the game mechanics pretty quick (lotsa hours in RUST, ARK et al. player her). then on monday, those long patch notes came out and i just thought to myself: wow -- just got accomodated to the game a tiny bit yesterday, all kinds of things have changed in mere hours. well then, i guess i just have to give it a try.

since many of you seem to point down to the early(-early) game being all of a hassle and overly complex now, i may want to contradict vehemently cause i haven't done things sunday very differently, compared to what i then did this last monday (all SP; MP might be a mess, don't know that yet). and complex, well, it's just the there mere matter of getting used to things as always.

i got down on the planet, found a somewhat calm surrounding and started harvesting what's around. started the tutorial to get the first mobile constructor the easy way cause the wreck was around close. i placed the mobile constructor, that air-conditioning thingie and the tent. since the wreck had some still intact storage, i used that for the time being.

chopped wood, collected edibles, harvested iron - the basic stuff (as in all survival games *me* is used to) and got finally the bike ready to go. killed a bunch of wild life to level up quickly. takes some time, but the old circling around, hopping and shooting kills them in this game, too.

finally, level 5 was reached and all the needed resources where ready to build:

*) a 8x8 concrete floor (not enclosed yet) with a litte add-on of space on one side for the 30mm turret
    *) the core
    *) the generator, the o2 producing-thingie, the fuel storage container (all of what seems to want a core to function properly)
    *) a nornal storage container and a military one
    *) a large contructor
    *) the turret for shooting down the drones
    *) around 100 30mm ammunition

fuel is easy, with v8 as well as with v9 (of course, your SP game settings may vary)

it took my sunday (v8) six hours to get that, while still learning the game machanics.

on monday (v9), i spent nearly 5 hours to get the same but the building even got walls, a roof, ...

a proper housing from which i will go on an build my first HV, SV or CV as you guys call em here, hehe.

i agree with some of the criticism raised, especially regarding the UI (player storage left vs. right) but as far as the early game itself, it's all fine - this way or the old one.

still knowing that i'm a newb at this particular game, i'm no where near anxious as many of you guys. i'm looking forward to what comes next, the part 2 of alpha 9 and iafter what i've seen so far, i'm somehow positive to where this game is heading. the team looks seriously enganged and active. give em time to flesh things out. game's still not done yet.

just my 5 cent. feel free to disagree with me.

happy holidays !

ps: sorry for the word salad - "non-native english speaker" here...

Sofianinho and Runeshadow like this.
  16. komisar666

komisar666 Ensign

hmmmm, logistics... are you shure? when spiders attack, and i try to have jump from him.... how i may switch with "this f***king ****" with this many drop-down-list and subject for select only my backpack with pistol??? are you realy think made "logistic" in this "form"?

17. Runeshadow

Runeshadow Captain

This is true. You guys are workin hard bro. Its just a lot to take in all at once. I have been thinking about the smoothing out. My suggestions for Convenience -

1. To be able to re-arrange the devices in the control panel view.

2. When using the drop-down menu for assigning Containers to a Device, only the boxes relevant to that device would show.

3. Some devices cannot be renamed until they are regrouped with Autogroup. We should be able to rename anything, and have that info retained even when using Autogroup. Obviously, all info saves with BP

I have noticed it is impossible to get the game to arrange the items in a recognizable way. I even tried placing refrigerators in the exact order that I wanted them to appear in the control panel view. After I hit "Autogroup", the items go into their correct folder, but the items themselves are randomized. This makes them harder to find when assigning them to a Food Processor. Starter Bases on the Workshop that are specifically designed for newcomers to the game will look much better if the control panel opens to show Containers with friendly names like "Food Processor Input" Stacked 1, 2, 3 in the list view.

4. Large Constructor could have it's own inventory and output. The Advanced Constructor could introduce the player to the new inventory management features, and up-coming automation. Same for Basic and Advanced food processors.

The Portable Constructor has it's own access and functions just fine alongside the new system. I already use 6 or so Portable Constructors outside my starter bases for refining ores.

With this feature, we could build simple bases that an early-game player could walk into and have the direct, simple access that many were happy with. The player should be able to complete the game that way if they choose. Or, the player could upgrade the devices to the advanced system if they choose. That is how switches, detectors, trap doors and the like function- I don't have to use those advanced devices and take the time to set them up just to play the game.

5. Small Ammunition Box and Small Oxygen Tank could be accessed and function like the current Oxygen Tanks- Fill them through the control panel. Advanced Ammo and O2 Containers could work with the new inventory system and up-coming automation.

6. Cargo extension boxes, grouped with their corresponding controller, could show in the control panel view so we can easily keep track of the current volume amounts and make better suggestions. This would also make it easier to decide how many extension boxes a constructor needs for a particular base.

7. a WIFI connection between Cargo Controllers and their assigned extension boxes.

I foresee difficulty in placing the controllers close to their assigned constructors, when many extension boxes are connected. A high production base will be difficult to keep organized. This feature would allow the actual cargo itself to be tucked away in a secure location, and keep the production floor of the base open. Only the Constructor and 2 Controllers need to be there.

:cool:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    G Stryker 97 likes this.
  18. Nikola

Nikola Lieutenant

I'm going to make a more detailed post later especially about the UI, but simply making the new player face this new logistic system is overwhelming. ESPECIALLY since the player will be more focused in "surviving" the early game and such. If I were to implement the logistic system as it is now, it would be a T2 or possibly T3 tech. Leave the automation and more complicated stuff for when the player is already used to some of the game's systems; since by this time he will be tackling larger scale POIs and builds, that is the most proper time to offer the logistic system alternative.

TLDR: leave the old (Alpha 8) inventory system for T1 level stuff, offer the Logistic system at mid-late game.

vscuorzo, Lidan, Arguro and 3 others like this.
  19. Taniyama

Taniyama Captain

I hate pointing this out after such a long break from Empyrion, but what as happened?

It appears you need a PHD to work out the inventory system. Its way over complicated & something the average player just wouldn’t understand or want to deal with.

I mean seriously, it’s broken.

I can’t even pick something up now. It just disappears.

Don’t get me wrong. You’re doing great work, but things like this will put people off.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  20. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

If You are on EXP @Pantera suggest to opt out of EXP and change to Stable...the working on a Hotfix...it got several times reported