Access cargo extensions

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Relo@d, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Relo@d

Relo@d Lieutenant

When building a cargo controller and add cargo extensions I can only access the storage at the cargo controller on the first floor. I want to build extensions tru several floors in my base and it would be awesome if I can access the storage space just to click on the cargo extension on any of the other floors. So I would suggest that when clicking on a storage unit at any extension I can acess it.

2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Why not using only the CP and access all you want from where ever you are in your BA/CV?

krazzykid2006 likes this.
  3. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

4. Relo@d

Relo@d Lieutenant

Yea that works...But I want to access it by clicking on the different storage rather than go into CP and search for the one storage Im after.

Germanicus likes this.
  5. Seeing as how the cargo extensions make up the hull on some of my cheaper ships, I don't think I would like it if I saw the "press F to open..." everywhere on my hull on those ships.
    Just putting that out there. I would not like that change if all the cargo extensions acted as the access point.

6. Darak

Darak Lieutenant

That would make a lot of existing ships and bases act in a weird way because very often container extensions pretend to be interior or even exterior structure (especially in SVs as a single block's capacity there is very limited). That's the reason more block shapes for containers are requested pretty often.

It would be great if more than one controller could be added to the same container, though, but that would make creating multiple extended containers confusing (you could join your containers unexpectedly). Perhaps a new 'extended container access' block which follows the same placement rules as an extension block but acts and looks like a controller could be a better solution.

Jieirn and Germanicus like this.
  7. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

That's where F4 comes in. As long as you name your storage controllers something that is recognizable, it's pretty simple and fast.

For example:

"Raw Materials" contains all the, yep, raw materials that get fed into my Constructors.
    "Fuel Depot" contains all my Biofuel, Promethium packs, fusion cells and Pentaxid Crystals.
    "Water Storage" holds all my water crates.
    And so on.

8. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

I prefer cargo extensions to remain as inert as possible so we can have every possible justification for arguing them to be functionally inert and thus lowering their cpu cost.

Cargo extensions are typically part of the hull or hidden structure of many builds. One awful thing that the new CPU tiering system has done is to more or less kill off progressive builds where you have a big shell (inert structure blocks + doors, ramps, lights and some basic functional blocks) and leave out advanced stuff until you can unlock it so you can fill in the base as you unlock stuff.

I am finding now that even the most basic large empty shell build (where extensions have to be part of that shell) are now impractical due to pushing even basic large shell builds that I would have started to build at level 10 into tier 3. So no - no excuse for high cpu cost on cargo extensions please. In fact I would even like to see them become zero if they are not associated with a controller at all. Keeping them as inert as possible may give us some basis to argue for their cost to be revisited.