Add reasons to have a human crew / fly together

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Average, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Average

Average Commander

Some of the best fun in multiplayer comes from goofing around together in a CV with your buddies. Unfortunately this rarely happens, because its a really bad strategy for doing anything in the game.

The main reason is that three players in a single CV are no more effective in than one player. Its better to each fly a CV. Additionally, apart from in combat, its better to fly in totally different areas so you're not competing for minerals (not very social). It's also a waste of time and boring to be a passenger, because there's generally nothing to do.

So while its technically possible to fly together in the same CV, and to walk around its corridors doing stuff, or to use the hangar together for stuff, in practice in rarely happens, because it sucks as a strategy to achieve anything in the game, and it's boring being a passenger. I think the game would be improved by rewarding players that work as a crew in the same ship.

The #1 easy to implement feature for this would be to put mining lasers on SVs , not CVs, and then limit SV cargo capacity. Now, effective mining requires miners and a storage-hauler pilot working together. You could retain CV mining turret for players that didn't want to jump into a SV while in dangerous areas.

Other possible ways to reward team play:
    • Allow pilots to sit in docked ships during flight, great for rapid coordinated deployment on arrival.
    • Provide something to do on ships as a passenger (walking during flight seems like it won't be implemented in near future, so would need to be through menu or from a chair)
    • Engineer role/station? Maybe certain repairs or component optimisation could be done in flight, but only from a chair facing certain components.
    • Scanning officer role? Maybe operate a radar dish in the same style as a turret, but it reveals long range ships/BAs and asteroids in one narrow direction?
    • Comms officer role? Talk to NPC ships, communicate scanned locations to players in other systems?
    • Gunner role? Give big bonus for manual turret operation, or make certain powerful turrets manual-only. Maybe Millenium Falcon style turrets you have to physically sit in like a passenger seat, so a pilot can't effectively use? (actually this would make most sense on SVs).
    • Remote buffing? Remote shield boost? Remote power transfer to boost SV mining laser power? Remote fuel transfer for refueling?
    • Operate hand tools/weapons from chair? (actually on SVs this would be lots of fun, also might be interesting for engineering role)
    Do you agree? Any other ideas about rewarding team play?

TrashMan likes this.
  2. TrashMan

TrashMan Commander

NPC crew should be able to fill the gaps, though not as effective as a human player.

geostar1024 likes this.
  3. Average

Average Commander

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

One of the things I miss from Space Engineers is being able to set up multiple control stations dedicated to certain tasks (turret management, engineering/navigation, etc). That way I can focus on flying the ship while my brother controls the shields, turrets and main rail gun turret.

Unfortunately this is somewhat limited in Empyrion since pilot seats can't have customized hotbars and only 1 player can access the control panel at a time.

5. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

not sure I kind of like the idea of having battle groups with Battleships and Carriers, being Supported by Light and heavy Coursers. destroyers, even Frigates or corvettes.

6. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Perhaps a role could be "Fire Control" such that a human could provide specific targeting coordination, while AI alone would be stuck targeting based on the current priorities. A "Fire Control" role might use a turret with a targeting laser to specify where to shoot.

Perhaps another role could be "Shield Control" where they actively pick a "side" of the ship to receive bonus shielding.

7. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

I do want human crew to be a thing, but only after we have the option to have NPCs fill those slots. Some people do like being able to use turrets as one person.

I also concur that this game doesn't offer much opportunity to do stuff together, and this is killing the game for me.

vscuorzo likes this.