Adding items to a stack causes the shape/orientation to reset.

Discussion in 'Backlog' started by tahaan, Jan 8, 2022.

1. tahaan

tahaan Lieutenant

Build: v1.7 3632 (all builds for as long as I have been playing)
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Any

SERVER NAME: Any / N.a
    SEED-ID: not available.

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: Yes - Vanilla, Reforged Galaxy, Reforged Eden, and probably others.

Reproducibility: It happens consistently
    Severity: Irritation / Minor

Type: QoL.

Summary: Adding items to an existing stack causes the shape/orientation to reset.

Description:
    While building, when you misplace a block and pick it up with the multitool, it goes into the inventory in stead of onto the toolbar.

When the player opens the inventory and moves those blocks from the container onto their toolbar, the selected shape and orientation resets to default, even when there are some of that item still in that slot on the toolbar.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Have a stack of blocks on the toolbar or conencted toolbar.
    - Note this applies to things like Windows, Doors, Thrusters, and normal building blocks with multiple "shapes" that you can choose from.
    2. Select a shape other than the default full cube.
    - Note The icon on the Toolbar does not change to indicate what shape is selected. Please add this feature also, but I digress.
    3. Rotate it and place it somewhere.
    4. Pick a few blocks up.
    5. Open the inventory
    6. Drag the blocks picked up onto the stack on the toolbar, adding more to the stack.
    7. Close inventory and prepare to place another one of the same shape and orientation.
    8. Notice that both the shape and orientation is reset to defaults.
    9. Curse silently as you try to remember which of the wedgy-shapes that was exactly, trying to find it again.
    10. Be relieved when you notice that at least the game highlights the last shape picked from the list.
    11. But sadly you need to still go through the rotations to turn it back.

Notes:
    1 I would like the "fix" to be to keep the shape/orientation of the stack which is being added to
    2 Making the the icon of the stack in the inventory and on the toolbar show the shape would be an amazing QoL addition.
    3 Multiple toolbars (Select with Ctrl-1 through Ctrl-9)
    4 On the shapes menu I'd love to see a new tab for "recently used shapes" aka favourites.
    4.1 Importantly: if you have multiple stacks of a certain kind on your toolbar and/or inventory, they each can have a different icon based on the shape or that stack!
    5 Adding items that are picked up to the toolbar instead of into the inventory would also help this issue somewhat. This I think does already happen for certain blocks, thrusters in particular, but not for others.