Adding Planets - Guides?

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by Raoh, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Raoh

Raoh Ensign

Hi guys,

There are several threads here regarding custom planets and tools to add new ones, but is there a guide anywhere (couldn't see one) that describes the basic process of adding a new planet to your game and any configuration changes you need to make to get it to show up?

I'm thinking of renting a server at some point and would like to get into creating/adding some custom planets, so any guides and tips would be great.

Thank you.

Wayson likes this.
  2. Raoh

Raoh Ensign

3. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

It's quite simple, all you need to do is add them in your Sectors.yaml file usually located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Sectors\

Take this one below as an ex. It has Arrakis and their two moons.
    And you should probably use a tool like Notepad++ to edit the file.

If you need planets just go to this thread....

Share your Planets

http://empyriononline.com/threads/share-your-planets.6949/

After that just start a new game, or add that file to a saved game...

Attached Files:

martian101 likes this.
  4. Raoh

Raoh Ensign

Thanks Kaeser, that's really helpful. :)

Now to get stuck in creating something; not to say it'll be 'good' something, but it'll be a start. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  5. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

I use Vexray's Planet Creation Mastersheet, Official forums thread by that name.

6. Wayson

Wayson Commander

Howdy, how are things working for you now?

7. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

We figured we could add our Twin Halo Orbit here Along with the Custom Planets :) Nothing Fancy... But still Have not seen it done anywhere else yet.

This is how we did it via the sector file.

Playfields:
    - ['0, 0, 0', Twin Halo Orbit, SpaceEmpty2]
    - ['4000, 0, 4000', Neomidas, Neomidas]
    - ['4000, 0, -4000', Ool, Ool, true]
    - ['-2000, 0, -2000', Halo Moon, Moon]

For Halo Moon we just copied a normal moon playfield and did a few custom POI's.

Attached Files:

Wayson likes this.
  8. Wayson

Wayson Commander

Very nicely done, thanks for the post!

9. Talk2Rider

Talk2Rider Lieutenant

SpaceEmpty2? Is that just your modified SpaceEmpty? Do you think I need that or can I just change it to SpaceEmpty?

10. Wayson

Wayson Commander

You can use SpaceEmpty without any issues.

11. Talk2Rider

Talk2Rider Lieutenant

Got it added! Thanks!

12. Raoh

Raoh Ensign

Still getting around to it - keep being distracted by 'trying' to build decent ships and structures at the moment, planets are next on the list. :)

13. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

The only reason we even used SpaceEmpty2 was to have a few minor changes in it. Im not sure what we changed or added to it to be perfectly honest hahahaahah. So I didnt include it.

14. Wayson

Wayson Commander

No worries Keith, hehe

15. Talk2Rider

Talk2Rider Lieutenant

No problem, I just didn't want to miss out on anything that you had intended to be there. I added them to my map and took a quick look at each. It was hard to even find a place to land my CV on Ool. And Ool is much nicer now that you removed the P.

16. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Yeah Ool is isnt it? Removing the p from our ool has really improved the overall cleanliness of the planet imho LMAO. We wanted a mostly water world where the HV had a chance to really shine. Its been a fun planet to mess around on! And there is a lot to do on it all things considered.

The plan for our server is to separate creatures among the sectors on our map and theme the sectors with specific creature types, planet types, and resources. Loyalist sector is mostly insects with some appearing on other planets outside the sector in smaller numbers. Basic minerals are also pretty high in this sector along with plants for medical and farming. Loyalists are themed for mining and production. UNE sector is where all the dinos are plus Magnesium and Zascosium are more common in that sector. UNE was intended to be a sort of space police that enforces the "laws" in space. And our pirate sector is where the alien critters all ended up along with high concentrations of gold and erestrum. They are supposed to be pretty disruptive. We would like to have a sector where the dalek type robots and drones are a bit more prevalent too but Im not sure there are enough creature types that are robotic to fill the needs of that sector. Thats supposed to be the "open Space" sector with no real alliances or goals.

The sectors are intended to help spur the use of the market and improve the odds that players interact more. Its made a nice teamwork dynamic possible and some planets have a more interesting PVP dynamic as defending them is actually lucrative or pivotal when it comes to supply chains. We have a lot more custom planets we plan on adding around but we are kind of waiting on a few more updates to see what gets tweaked.

17. Vexray

Vexray Captain

Sorry guys, ive been incredibly busy with school last few days as well as working on other things. Give me a day or so and ill create a guide for everyone showing what to edit, what can be edited, etc when adding and creating playfields =)

Veronica and Kaeser like this.
  18. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

That would be soooooooo helpful. I saw you had a spreadsheet with all the different creatures and misc deco objects in it along with some other info and went "oooOOOooo that would have saved us so much time in experimenting" lol.

19. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

I really wish more of this information ended up all in one place neatly stickied at the top of some forum. I know there are at least a dozen or so of us that have messed around with customizing quite a bit of the dedi MP server files and it seems that the information on our findings is pretty spread out.

20. Talk2Rider

Talk2Rider Lieutenant

What happens if you had a bunch of Alien POIs spread about that do not have any walls? Would the creatures that spawn just wander around the countryside? What triggers the spawners? If you pass by and the spawners spawn, do the aliens spawned have an expiration time? or will they then be persistent until killed?

Q. What happens if you had a bunch of Alien POIs spread about that do not have any walls? Would the creatures that spawn just wander around the countryside?
    A. It seems that the spawners are only activated when the player gets very close to them - say 20 meters or so. If there are no walls to contain them they will wander around - not sure how far they will wander, but it is quite a ways.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016