Alpha 10.2: Improvements and Bug Fixes - Part II

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

@Pantera @Hummel-o-War ; Hey guys,

Think I found another issue with the most recent release (2524)... My blueprints are screwed up. I started a new game with today's release, played for a while and then built my "Tactical HV"... a reasonably large HV with LOADS of modules/devices installed.

My meticulously organized (yes I am a bit OCD that way) Device List was completely screwed up - the Core in the "Engines" group and renamed Emergency Kit (from one of my cargo containers), almost 100 devices stripped right out of their groups, and in many cases all assigned signal logic was either missing or transposed with other devices incorrectly.

Hate to beat a dead horse here, but in combination with my issue with ghost key presses (that you have deemed "not a bug", despite it only occurring with Empyrion running), but can you appreciate the coronary-inducing level of frustration involved in trying to re-group, rename, and reassign signal logic to over 100 devices... all while your computer is randomly pressing <Delete>, <Up>, <Left>, <Home>, etc. etc.??? ... I'm surprised my computer survived the night without taking a voyage out my window.

I went through regardless, and redid the entire device list (in Creative Mode, as for some reason the key presses seem less frequent there), saved the BP under a different name... jumped back into my game and spawned it... and boom! Same issue appears again.

I have save games in all 3 stages (first discovered in game, fixed in Creative, re-occurring back in game again), if you need them.

UPDATE: I am noticing the same problem on multiple blueprints - I've got a LOT to go through, but so far, based on create date for the files... it seems to be affecting BP's created around June 30th on... I spawned a BP created on the 25th of June and no issues.

UPDATE 2: Spawning the messed up BP's in Creative, deleting and reassigning all group, signal logic, etc. then re-saving under a new name/BP does nothing... when you spawn the fixed/renamed BP again, it's back to messed up.

UPDATE 3: I'm finding that I CAN spawn older BP's without issue, and I can spawn an older BP and make changes to device groups/signal logic and resave, respawn, and no issues.

I'm guessing some header record or schema layout line is written out at time of BP creation? Has that changed in/since 2517? Even a single character error in a layout/header record could account for what I am seeing... just thinking out loud here.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    vscuorzo, Germanicus and Javarox87 like this.
  2. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

Well, well, well, that ship has sailed. A few version ago I made changes to the config file, which fairly large. Forgot a change I made after a several weeks. An update really messed up the game since the config file still had this minor change. I was called stupid for forgetting this. Think I will ever do anything that remotely comes close to "testing" again? I may do that, but no one here will hear about it.

3. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

Wow

4. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Commander

no offence taken. I am glad there are people that have the ability and desire to twiddle the files.

I think it reasonable to inform those with problems with the game that they can attempt a fix that suits them by twiddling the files.

Where I have a problem is that often the first and only suggestion made to people with a problem with the game is that they SHOULD Twidel the files. I personally had that advice repeated to me multiple times when I had made a comment answering a question when A9 dropped. It was not responsive to my comment and not helpful. I still see it now.

Informing people that it is possible --- good. Leaving the impression that they should --- Bad.

RazzleWin also not singling you out just trying to clarify that I am not against informing people of there options but that it is an option not a requirement

nexus_absolute and RazzleWin like this.
  5. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

I feel your pain Xerxes - been playing for years with thousands of hours invested, and for most of that time, scrupulously documenting and reporting bug after bug - because I believe the game is bloody awesome, and with the potential to become one of the greatest games ever coded.

That said, it can be very frustrating to invest the most precious resource you will ever have - your time (they aren't making any more of that) - only to be criticized/rebuffed for either your efforts or your reasonable complaints and righteous frustration.

I'm sure the guys at Eleon are doing their best, so keep "the faith" - as maddening as it can get, over the years I've found on balance they usually get things right in time.

6. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

I can only speak for myself. I do understand that some people take one look at a config file or even a playfield inside and faint. Some people have never used the more advanced notepads like notepad++. Each person in here helps the best way they can. Each one tests different things because each of us have different play styles or interests. So I'm not telling everyone to become one with the config file. But let't not ignore it being there, it is part of the game as a feature for those that wish to use it. So it too has a valid reason for being tested.

Sad to hear you had been made to feel that way xerxes86, but please don't let that stop you from sticking up your hand and saying, ya know I like that or hey this doesn't feel good. Just playing the game and giving feedback is just as important as testing different features of the game.
    ok heading back under my rock :)

7. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were not being helpful. In fact your response was very helpful and informative and you were not wasting your time.

My post wasn't directed at you directly but the general response by so many people that, IMO, is generating this attitude of normality in customising config files to make the game work. That key word there... work. It is more than reasonable that people will adjust the game to suit their preferences and people who share the knowledge and details (like you did in your post) help make this possible. But there seems to be a growing trend that the default settings are not suitable and we are required to make these changes ourselves to resolve these issues. It was this sentiment that I am concerned at.

I agree with all you said here.

The only issue is that not everyone is editing config files to see what works and what doesn't or to test and give feedback. My observations are that there is a significant proportion of the community that are editing config files only to fix something that shouldn't need fixing, alter the most recent changes back to something they are familiar with, or play around with the same features they have always done. In addition I think that most people don't share their changes, so they aren't giving feedback.

The risk with this is that feedback can be distorted based on the different benchmarks people are working from.

PS: I love my rock... it's my joint favorite spot to hang out, along with the soap-box and the fence.

malrose1 and stanley bourdon like this.
  8. Pantera

Pantera Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Update: July 5, 2019 - Alpha 10.2.2 (Build 2524)

Changes:

- Tweaked Ocean Planet (eg water plane now at 60m and several other improvements) and re-added to random generation

Bug Fixes:

- Fixed: Constructor production can exceed the volume capacity of assigned containers
    - Fixed: Missing localisation when repairing a vessel with a lock code in auto mode in R2B
    - Fixed: After making a BP of a structure at max size the center of it is moved when spawning the BP in.
    - Fixed: Resource Terrain as Bedrock logic

Wellingtoon and ravien_ff like this.
  9. Pantera

Pantera Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Are you able to provide a use case of this with a before & after example ?
    Please post it in a bugs thread so we have something to possibly look at https://empyriononline.com/forums/bugs.24/

10. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

11. iamnoobplzhelp

iamnoobplzhelp Lieutenant

For the love of god, can we please make clients backwards compatible? i.e. if my client is running 10.2.2 and server is running 10.2.1, I should still be able to connect. This daily updating is driving me nuts.

I mean, thank you devs, for being on top of bugs. That is awesome. But these little patches shouldn't force me to update my server every time. Maybe force an update every mid-level release? i.e. 10.x.x

12. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

Can anyone expand on what the practical application/functionality of this feature is?- "Apply click-able links to PDA Window Description panel."

It would be usuful for creative story tellers if this could allow links to external webpages.
    Or if there could be hidden PDA sections that can only be revealed by certain links or lock codes....

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  13. blukain

blukain Ensign

Good evening dear Devs,

I would like to solve a problem that persist after latest 3 updates, the keeps getting randomly exit without errors or warning, let me know if you need any log, my configuration:
    cpu: i7 3770
    ram: 16GB
    gpu: gtx960 4GB

thanks you so much

14. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

Yes, they would need logs. Please open a bug report instead of reporting in here.

15. Zaflis

Zaflis Commander

So your solution is that everyone should edit their configs to enjoy the game? I do not need guidance on how to edit those files. I'm only trying to point out to the developers what the mainstream players prefer from the game, because these are glaring issues we can't miss. Why don't you edit the configs to make the game harder and we can have a better game for the rest of us?

nexus_absolute and xerxes86 like this.
  16. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

I consider myself a main stream player by now after 5000 hours in game playing. So please do not speak for me. Thank you.

malrose1 likes this.
  17. Zaflis

Zaflis Commander

That's not only mildly but very hardcore, not mainstream. I'm already closing hardcore at 800 hours, it's much more than average player stays in any 1 Steam game. But no, i don't want to be negative. You just have to keep in mind that there is a difference between average player and those who know everything about it in the bone. The needs from the game between those 2 groups of players are very different, and the balance is now very strongly leaning towards the experienced group.

Moonsugar and xerxes86 like this.
  18. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

LOL that is so not me! It's why I'm in the forum to learn new stuff. Even stuff I wish I knew was there when I first started playing. In a game like this no one really knows everything. We have a wiki that is so outdated. hardly any info to help teach people. So I use the forum to learn the game. Each new version is just as exciting to start learning about for me. I start out by playing the basic game using the tools provided. Oh sure I could god mode everything I need. I do that later for sure.

So for me the game is new each new version. I come here and read and read and even ask a few questions now and then. I was always taught you can't learn anything new if your always talking. So I read a lot. I can never get back the excitement I first felt the day I started my first game in here. But I still get as excited when I see new stuff and try out the new starts.

elmo likes this.
  19. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

I think the point Zaflis was making, RazzleWin, is you are hardly some noob. At 5000 hrs, that is the equivalent of working at a full time job for 2 and half years. Eight hours a day, 5 days a week, for 2 1/2 years. Also I don't believe Zaflis pointed you out when he said "main steam player." He was just making the point that most people don't want to, or will not edit game files to "fix" game play. They will play it as is, if it's hardcore, or broken, they will quickly move on. I played a game that went down the hardcore route a couple of years ago. It's being played by 50-60 people now. The game is toast, and I would bet most of the hardcore people who pushed for stupid hard conditions, are not playing now. There are only so many hardcore people willing to "work" at playing games that are supposed to be fun.

20. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

For a long time now i do exactly this: raising my voice wherever some nerd with a game experience of multiple thousand hours is demanding the the game was "too soft" or "needs a challenge". In most cases my arguments are not even discussed, but brushed aside "whining".
    The effect: The fights are way too hard now for my taste. While i can get around most of them by tricking out game mechanics, the dreaded hacking attacks cost me the last nerve.
    The game got exactly where i was suspecting it some time ago: a blend of fps and tower defense with some spice of resource gathering.
    Not my cup of tea; i ceased playing some weeks ago. Now i am just looking in (just being suspicious) and see, that the shields - just invented! - got the second nerf within two updates. (If you have obviously time left for doing balancing - fine! But please do it thoroughly and not punctual, as this WILL go sour.) And what happens is the same thing as ever: Those who complain about it are rudely bawled out by others. The hint that you can change config.ecf as you like is correct, but quite impertinent - you could also recommend it to the advisor. Why doesn't anyone do that? - Apart from the fact that there are simply things that cannot be changed there.
    So - I have the feeling that not too many others will follow this posting anymore. I had my fun with the game, and more than I paid for. And at some point I'm sure I'll come back again - but right now it's just more frustration than fun.
    Sorry and good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.