Feedback Required Alpha 10.5 EXP - Talon Base Attack

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer

2. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

This sounds really exciting; was still hoping for airships, but this ain't bad. The Zirax hack and take your base, the Talon shut it down. I suspect players will find this far more enjoyable. The only trick is, no one will ever have piss-poor reputation with them? (or at least, rarely)

elmo likes this.
  3. elmo

elmo Captain

More action sounds good.

4. Orclover

Orclover Ensign

Was hoping for a bit more than hunting them down for acting like the power company, but this still an improvement. Hopefully we can see some coordinated attacks with zirax attacking during the power outage. Also I wish the Zirax would attack with something besides the same 3-5 drones and over again. A larger troop transport that could actually land or CV even. Oh well, all in good time.

5. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Question, if the player has a CV parked on their BA will the Talon's deactivate it as well?

If they leave the CV alone I see it as a fairly short fight.

6. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Rear Admiral

Build multiple small 'tower' bases to keep your defenses?
    Build dummy 'wall base' around your encampment?
    Build stationary "defense CVs" in or near your base?
    Make sure to store all your perishables in a HV and grow all your plants in a separate CV built for that purpose?

Haven't had a chance to test it yet, so can't say anything definitive.. but conceptually I don't like it that much. We have all the fancy walls, turrets, shields, etc.. then Talon introduce The Button, that together with The Cutter kind of makes all of it more or less irrelevant. It kind of feels like cheese against cheese (e.g. counter against burying cores underground).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  7. jbrown

jbrown Ensign

Not had time to go through attacks yet, but looking forward to this new tactic. Thing is, right now, nothing survives approaching my base. With a fully armed CV parked next to it, and the base having a full complement of cannon, even a pair of drop ships die before unloading. It would be cool if the attacks could come from multiple directions, and if the drop ships were normally accompanied by four or more drones, and would come in a bit faster.

I'm not advocating punishing players. I mean, in my new scenario, getting started, the first attack, of just two drones, wiped out most of my base and killed me a dozen times before I was able to drop them. Repairing things took nearly until the second attack, so it WAS frustrating. But, once you manage to get four bigger turrets up, you get the upper hand, and once you have a shield, you can pretty much ignore any attack. At that point, it would be interesting if the attacks were more organized and dangerous.

I did NOT like the core takeover trick. It basically was a cheat, allowing them to remote attack your core from fully outside the base, basically anywhere, touching any block that was ultimately connected to the core. Burying the core, putting it in a high tower... none of that helped. They come stand near the base, wait a prescribed time, then blammo, the hacking tool comes out, and you have seconds to stop them.

This is more interesting to me, since it's harassment but doesn't feel unfair.

Tomorrow I'll trigger a bunch of attacks to explore it. Looking forward to that!

Kassonnade likes this.
  8. Orclover

Orclover Ensign

Yea I have the same "problem" myself. Within a week of forming my first real base I would have at 4 flak cannons up and a few other point defense guns. At that point it is over for base attacks, nothing lands. 5 drones might get a few lucky shots off and do a bit of damage but nothing gets within the bases borders and troop transports never get close enough to land completely. I can safely ignore base attacks if I want to. Which in the long term gets boring. I wish they would drop down outside of striking range and unload a whole platoon or try landing with a troop CV instead of a small drone.

9. The Tactician[ Λ ]

The Tactician[ Λ ] Rear Admiral

i think base attacks should be self aware then, for exp.

the more you win against base attacks the harder they get depending of planet difficulty.

Supay likes this.
  10. Bollen

Bollen Commander

Completely off topic (and I don't know if you care), but you have some misspellings in your Character Profile: "You're either one..." Not ether. Pistol not Pistal and you probably meant Crystal-Lined not Cystal unless you're Welsh...?

The Tactician[ Λ ] likes this.
  11. The Tactician[ Λ ]

The Tactician[ Λ ] Rear Admiral

to be honest its old ill just redo it

Bollen likes this.
  12. xerxes86

xerxes86 Lieutenant

The Talon are useless anyway, now you just have to spent resources wiping them out. Right from the start, just hunt them down.

13. xerxes86

xerxes86 Lieutenant

Sure, the logical end of your plan is no base at all. Which is basically the way I play anyway. Build a CV go mobile. You could always have waves of drones attacking you every 3 minutes, one half hour after you begin the a new game. One hour after that, add in transports dropping off 20-30 troops every 5 minutes. That way you will never even think about a base.

14. Bollen

Bollen Commander

What we need is CV attack...:D

ravien_ff likes this.
  15. Orclover

Orclover Ensign

If you want to never be attacked then I believe space bases are safe from drone attacks. Also unlike CV's you can run a space station off of solar power fairly easily. Which is the main benefit of having a base long term. Not having to shove fuel into the bloody thing.

Bollen likes this.
  16. xerxes86

xerxes86 Lieutenant

Very good point.

17. Bollen

Bollen Commander

I like bases. mostly because of the furnace and it's so simple to prevent an attack, simply set it to public as soon as you get a warning...

18. Bowchie

Bowchie Ensign

well i just got my first talon attack and have killed about 20 talon and base power, cv power, sv power and hv power are all shut down from the attack. they have taken out my base half way with spiders and nothing i can do to stop it

19. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Is there a shaman you can kill?

20. Bowchie

Bowchie Ensign

I ran all around the base twice and didnt see anything else, they just keep spawning right at edge of main base.