Alpha 10.5 - Game Optimizations (Fluidity, Laggs, Rubberbanding)

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    For Alpha 10.5 we dedicated a lot of our time to some major (multiplayer) optimizations!

The first pass of these changes should allow for a more fluid gameplay experience, especially in combat. We have implemented a few new methods on how data and events are handled and would like to have your feedback on how things have improved. :)

Global Overview:
    - Dedicated server now calculates planets instead of playfield server, planets are now calculated on demand and not all at startup. This prepares the way for solar systems and infinite space.
    - Significantly improved internal network communication. This should result in more fluid experience (less lags, less kicks etc in multiplayer).
    - Added interpolation of entities to reduce rubber banding
    - Binarizing playfield yaml files to improve loading and networking time when the game is loaded a 2nd time
    - Optimized dedicated server and playfield server: now using memory pools for the network connection to avoid heap garbage and defragmentation
    - Changing terrain blocks will now be sent only to the clients that are around the changed area. Should improve drilling performance in MP a lot
    - No voxel terrain chunks are built if flying above 700 meters
    - Set EAC packages to unreliable/unordered. This might result in less player kicks when there is a lot of network traffic
    - Turret rotation update rate is set to two updates per second and sent on unreliable channel to relief network channel

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    ravien_ff and Kaeser like this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    -tba-

3. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    -tba-

4. Flash Hendricks

Flash Hendricks Captain

In SP survival, everything seems a little bit better, but I get really big FPS drops whenever there are multiple POIs close together (e.g. the Polaris cluster on the starter world). I go from 50-55 to 30 instantly. If it’s raining, can be 20-25 or lower. (Hard to successfully fight off spiders at those speeds!)

5. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

Hi guys, I play PvP on HWS server.

Since this patch the pvp seems to be the worst it has been for some time.
    The below is a list of ongoing constant issue during a pvp battle involving multiple opponents.

We have all ships warping back and forth visually on playfield and minimap.
    We have involuntary cloaking devices.
    We have random copies of ships and ship parts appearing all over the playfield during combat events.
    We have random cockpits exploding when shields are up.
    We have times where we cannot fly back into a planet and just go through it so we get shot up in space by cv chasing sv.
    We have multiple repeated disconnects.
    We have fatal errors.
    We have exceptions appearing during battle.
    We are not able to teleport using warp gates, seems to be upto a minute delay at times.
    We experience random freezing of ship weapons.
    We see ships get nearly destroyed then go through the atmosphere and come out the other side in pristine condition with a new shield generator. At which time the owner must relog to see his ship is new again.
    We experience being shot by vessels who are shooting out of render range thus we cannot see the projectiles, shields just suddenly drop, no indication of being hit,

I hope some videos will now be linked here by my fellow pvp fans, to show some of the issues we face.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  6. Firebeard

Firebeard Ensign

This last patch broke pvp.
    It's unplayable in current state.

Not sure if it's a cheater exploit that has been powered up by the changes or just generally massive new rubber banding and dysnc issues.

The game is hemeraging players over this, it's got to be fixed or reverted.

7. marius

marius Ensign

8. marius

marius Ensign

yesterday the game crashed for my 3 times when we fight in space whit 5 klass cv . (around 10-15 cv involved . hws eu server . hw sector. after eton event)

Furious Hellfire likes this.
  9. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

Thank you @marius
    He has posted a video of a typical CV battle in HWS on the current patch.
    All players see this same issue at the same time with the warping ship back and forth. it stops at the same time for everyone also.

10. marius

marius Ensign

invisible micro sv. just shootin to noting :))). and some freezes

moore lag's

underground sv ? cool

Furious Hellfire likes this.
  11. marius

marius Ensign

ground pillars or holes.in video is small one.

Attached Files:

12. Politary1

Politary1 Ensign

Just a few examples of ships glitching for everyone on playfield or getting frozen for multiple people at once. The lag makes this game unplayable, it didn't happen like this before 10.5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnynLgaDf8c

13. 420Inc_Space Ranger

420Inc_Space Ranger Ensign

Everything mentioned Ive experienced in hws multiplayer engaging in pvp. As soon as blocks start being destroyed all *ell brakes loose... People loosing ships due to issues with the multiplayer side is going to push off new players. Players get to a point of survival where the only real fun is surviving against other players. The thinking and strategies thought up from players will always beat npc stuff... I know this is all my opinion, but just wishing the best for the game... Multi player pvp is a major seller ;) game has come a long way for sure. :p

14. Nickolai

Nickolai Lieutenant

An example of my shield being completely stripped by invisible weapons.

An example of a serious desync issue. I was sitting around 5 minutes at the pole in a passenger seat while my pilot was miles away fighting. I thought he was sitting on the pole until I told him.

Weapons jamming in fights is a common issue. The only way to fix it is to get out the seat.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019