Feedback Required Alpha 10.5 - Improved planet outside view

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Improved planet outside view (3D mesh, better atmosphere etc)
    - Planet outside view now using AtmosphereColor from playfield.yaml
    - Planet 3D outside view: now using clouds color to color the clouds (color gets brightened a bit) and using atmosphere color without modification for atmosphere (for savegames build < 2600 the color still gets brightened, please adjust your scenarios before you start new savegames)
    - Deactivated clouds when leaving/entering a planet and atmosphere fire
    - Updated atmosphere colors on all playfields

2. Nef

Nef Lieutenant

Loading into the game now to check this out. The teasers looked like a huge improvement from old planets! c:

TNTBOY479 likes this.
  3. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

Didn't try new version and effects (because I'm still downloading EXP), or now lack of them - but atmospheric fire was 'old' for a long time and didn't look nice when you had different entry angle (80% of time ;)), so I support eliminating that effect (if that is a case here :D)

... but I guess some people would like special effects when you are entering or leaving atmosphere - so I'm suggesting one simpler solutions that cold work just fine in game no matter of your entry direction, and could not be hard to implement - how about something like 'little cloud of atmospheric particles (sparkles/flares)' around ships?

(of course I could be totally wrong in reading this new change :oops::rolleyes::D)

4. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

This shit, is just so pretty... damn...

5. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I mean, look at these!

20190828102252_1.jpg

I noticed you still have some purple fuzz though:

20190828102300_1.jpg

also the zoomed out view had some strange blue areas to it:

20190828102322_1.jpg

6. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

I started game on Large temp. planet, and it looks really nice from space :)

I'm cheering for lots of 'cloud' patterns & variations so that ground won't be this visible in orbit... it is helpful to see all POI locations from space, but I'm personally against it - let's all descent to darkness together :cool:

7. Philipp

Philipp Captain

i like it, except one thing: the glowing of the atmosphere. I think its a bit to much, feels a bit like the whole planet glows in the dark space.

daddychillin likes this.
  8. Skotty

Skotty Ensign

Looks Cool. A bit exaggerated, but I don't mind. I like it.

9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I agree I think the height is a little too much. Maybe reduce by 50% and see how it looks then. Also depends on planet size. Mountains on a size 2 moon look much taller compared to a size 5.

Space Beagle likes this.
  10. Nef

Nef Lieutenant

It looks great. Only thing I miss is the re-entry fire effect, and the clouds in the upper atmo when leaving a planet.

11. jbrown

jbrown Ensign

I've got to say this is a HUGE improvement. My current Eden scenario has a LOT of lava planets, and they all looked the same from space. Now, every single one is different, since they all had unique atmospheres, now they look unique from space, and all quite pretty.

Curiously, smaller moons and planets now look more jagged, though, like they are only made up of a few polygons, like a soccer ball. And mountains appear even more exaggerated from space, sometimes peaking above the atmospheres, which looks odd. Still, WAY prettier, and more varied. Such a vast improvement over the kind of dead-ish looking worlds, before.

I'll add my vote, too, as a fan of entry flares or some kind of effect for that. I did not like the odd skybox zoom before, of leaving the atmosphere (or just entering orbit in the case of an airless moon).

Now, if you could kill the fog effect on the spotlights, at LEAST in space and on airless worlds, so spotlights would be useful again, we'd be getting somewhere! :)

Guys, LOVE the look of the planets, thank you! And diving into the LCD improvements which I think will give us a LOT of build options when 10.5 goes live. I can't wait to update my signage and try out the new effects.

It would be so cool if there was an "official" way to get actual data into those screens, like cargo, ammo, fuel, etc. I'd sure love HUD readouts that are more practical, like altitude (distance from GROUND, not from orbit), for example.

Speaking of that... any chance of a signal logic item that acted like a sonar? Not a motion sensor, but something that returned range to something approaching it? Could be used for landing lights and other advanced sensors. Landing a massive CV is a pain... such a sensor could tell you when you're near the ground.

Loving all the improvements!

Bollen, cmguardia, Nef and 1 other person like this.
  12. Nef

Nef Lieutenant

I noticed the planet from orbit to planet playfield itself don't match up quite like they used to. The old orbit globe was like a 1:1 to the playfield. You see a lake from space, fly to it, and it's there on the playfield. I noticed now the actual playfield varies a good bit from what you see in space.

13. jbrown

jbrown Ensign

I'll have to pay more attention to that. Unfortunately, in my current game, I don't really have as good a test. I have a base on a swamp planet, but I don't have a space station there. Easier to note if you're in orbit a lot and have to make quick trips to the land base for water, etc. It still seems the planet model is accurate to the map, but I'm not totally certain about whether or not it's in sync, rotationally, to where you enter the atmosphere.

It was never perfect. My last planet base was in a very obvious location, in a cliff next to a unique long lake/sea, at the northern tip. Super easy to aim for in space. But, even though I'd come in at a low angle, aiming for it, so I SHOULD have wound up about a kilometer short of the base on a good approach, that approach always wound up putting me over the base, a little past it, when I actually loaded in. Noticed that with a lot of them. Like the entry vector isn't what matters, but rather what's centered in your crosshairs. It doesn't put you where your real position on the globe was, but rather where your crosshair was pointed.

Still and all... I'm loving the eye candy. The planets were just so ugly before, and now they are beautiful. More "alive." Not realistic, by a longshot, but certainly interesting. Makes me more interested in seeing other planets, beyond just what resources they have.

Nef likes this.
  14. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

It looks quite good when you get away from the planet (e.g. >1500m) but the transition from planet to orbit is still very jarring. I don't think it needs to be a smooth transition but I left the planet at sunrise, and when I went into orbit the atmosphere changed from "orange" to "deep space" immediately (and I also saw an asteroid ring appear out of nowhere). Perhaps the effect of the day/night cycle should still be seen to some extent when you are closer to the planet?

15. Cluascorp

Cluascorp Lieutenant

The effect is awesome, but needs (down-) tuning ...

Good work Eleon... ;)

16. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Commander

This is a big one IMO. You need to be able to see rings from the surface

17. spacefarmer

spacefarmer Captain

I welcome this change, and it does look good from space. The one issue I have is that the travel time from surface to space is far too quick. You're in space or back on the planet almost instantly. Also, there is a disconnect between what you see from space and what it looks like when you enter the planet. Things are shifted off kilter slightly from how they show up in space, and weather is currently not aligned, so if it's overcast on planet, you don't see a ton of clouds from space, and the colors and shift between space and planet can be quite jarring.

The one thing that I know has been suggested in the past that could perhaps remedy all of this is to make upper atmosphere another playfield. This would increase travel time and allow space to slowly fade in or away as you travel through the upper atmosphere playfield. This could also be a way to better align the space and planet views, as it could allow for clouds to travel through for a long period of time, which would obstruct the view and make the transition less jarring. I will say that I do miss the burning effect as well, gave a bit of realism to it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  18. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

Either that or just make the atmosphere far thicker. It is unrealistically thin (2 km?) I just flew back from Germany to the US this weekend, and the cruising altitude was about 3000 m (3 km). Yet I was most assuredly not in orbit, or anywhere close to it.

If the atmosphere was more like 20 km thick, it would be a more realistic experience getting into orbit and also make it possible to more smoothly transition into the view you get from orbit.

Kassonnade likes this.
  19. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I think the clouds in orbit are a bit too much. I think a simple "haze" could do a better job, since clouds are usually close to the ground compared to upper atmospher/ lower orbit.

And I agree with @Ian Einman ; and the ground jumps to our face pretty fast when entering planet playfield. In fact there is a weird feeling that we're going to collide with the planet when approaching from space, since we obviously get very close to the model of the "fake" planet.

I would imagine an intermediary playfield with the actual "orbital clouds" as the lower boundary, and a haze that gets thinner with distance from the planet until there is almost no difference with "space". That could allow also for an intermediary "fake planet suface texture" to transition between the space view and planet's ground, to avoid that big jump in textures resolution.

That playfield could be very lightweight since it would not contain all what the actual "space" playfield around a planet can contain (POIs, rings, etc). So an easy-to-load (and discard) slice in between space and planet playfield...

As a matter of "how to prevent players dogfighting to get swapped between playfields during a fight" there could be a warning for both "boundaries" : leaving/ entering "gravity pull" (boundary between space and upper atmo playfield) or leaving/ entering "high atmosphere" ( boundary between lower atmo playfield and planet playfield).

An additional trick to make it hard for players to try to fight at boundaries would be to blur their view using the "fire from fiction around ship" like we used to have (upper boundary) and fog+clouds (lower boundary).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Cluascorp and spacefarmer like this.
  20. Cluascorp

Cluascorp Lieutenant

Well i think we can all agree that moons without atmosphere should NOT have clouds?

:)

ravien_ff, spacefarmer and Philipp like this.