Alpha 10.5 - Improved XBox Controller Support

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Please note: the controller setup is also currently not configurable in these early stages

Xbox Controller Support

- Several improvements for the handling of the controller
    - Added an option to turn in game controller support on & off
    - D-Pad down to work with inventory to move stack in one click
    - Added Logistics and Factions to the radial menu accessed by controllers
    - Added a way for a controller to enlarge & shrink the sensor detection area in sensor view mode
    - Added 'Building tools' to the radial menu for controllers

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    mrroy likes this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    -tba-

3. Master Onagi

Master Onagi Ensign

The option to modify the controller settings (i.e. Keybinding). I was just playing, reloaded to grab a blueprint, and now I can barely function. I don't know what the original controls were, but I had them modified to suit my play style. If the SV behaves like the HV when flying I am going to have a hard time manoeuvring, want to turn, roll and climb at the same time ? Not happening any more (I had bound the up and down thrust to clicking down on the sticks). I could barely get into a vessel since I was using a different button for it. Also, xbox controller is not the only controller out there, I am using a PS4 controller. Customisation is key. Please address.

WHM DaddyStu and Sunshaker like this.
  4. Sunshaker

Sunshaker Lieutenant

I have an xbox1 controller, I spent the whole morning trying to get it to work, tried all steam controller xbox settings, to no avail, but managed to download someones community setup, that just about, allows me to play, not good for new players, expecting to plug in & play.

WHM DaddyStu likes this.
  5. texas_tornado

texas_tornado Lieutenant

Hello!

Thanks for the feedback! Feedback is quite important for us to be able to get these systems worked out. I understand it can be frustrating when things don't seem to work as they should and I am more than happy to help out in any way that I can.

Currently we are only supporting the XBox controller. Any other controller/flight stick may or may not work properly. I am happy to try to help you out if you are having issues with that. However, we are using our own controller interface, thus Steam and/or other 3rd party interfaces may or may not work properly.

As it is now, you should simply be able to plug in your (modern) XBox controller, have it be detected and start working. Any 3rd party interfaces, obsolete or non-(modern) Xbox controllers are not actively supported and therefore may give you hassles.

If you have a problem with the controllers, please specify exactly what the issue is. In the meantime, you can attempt to reset defaults by clicking the reset button in the Options->Control page, or you can navigate to you Saves directory and delete the 'inputconfig_vXX.xml' that is there and restart the game.

Sunshaker and Germanicus like this.
  6. Tino

Tino Ensign

HELP !!!

I used to play with xboxone or xbox36 controller, I cant anymore !!

Before 10.5 you can bind any keys of your controller, who let me play with controller in my left hand and mouse in my right hand, it was so great because i play laying so i cannot use a keyboard.

Why did you broke that feature ?

Playing full controller is really hard for that kind of game..

I had so much pleasure with that kind of controlling.

Binding the xbox controller key itself is impossible because "Microsoft the great" made it shitty as usual, i mean that if i want to bind the controller itself I must use the pad cable... and I can't... cause my computer is too far away.

PLEASE PUT IT BACK AS IT WAS !!! PLEASE HELP !!!

Bollen and WHM DaddyStu like this.
  7. texas_tornado

texas_tornado Lieutenant

Hello!

Keybinding will come back in a later release. Unfortunately, as part of any re-working, you have to rip out the old to make room for the new. Controller keybinding will be back in a future release!

Thanks for your patience!

Bollen likes this.
  8. WHM DaddyStu

WHM DaddyStu Lieutenant

For all the enhancements/modifications/new features (great work btw) you go and remove something as basic as controller keymapping. Now I can no longer do something as simple as pressing B on my controller to reload a gun. A very peculiar decision.

9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Maybe as a temporary solution players could try JoyToKey...

There was a discussion recently regarding re-mapping controls to joystics, but JoyToKey can accommodate a wide range of controllers.

Here, in this thread:

https://empyriononline.com/threads/thrustmaster-t-flight-hotas-x-key-mapping.46565/

I'm sure @Bollen is quite knowledgeable with this software, if you have any questions. I used it for old games that don't recognize modern controllers, and it works perfect.

Here's the official JoyToKey site :

https://joytokey.net/en/

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  10. Master Onagi

Master Onagi Ensign

Specific examples. OK.

Start game, plug in controller, (test it works)
    go to options -> Disable controller (exit menu) (test it doesn't work)
    Unplug controller -> Plug back in. Controller works.
    Go to options ? Controller is still disabled but Controller still works (it shouldn't work because Controller support is disabled in the menu).

11. Master Onagi

Master Onagi Ensign

After 4 hours of configuring. I can play again. Configuration for Ps4 Controller below (I think I covered the basics)

upload_2019-9-18_20-3-55.png

upload_2019-9-18_20-4-27.png

Kassonnade and SacredGlade like this.
  12. Master Onagi

Master Onagi Ensign

Looking specifically at traders, can we get an +/- arrows/buttons & "all available / max amount" we can click on for quantities so that you don't have to type in the amount with a keyboard or click "sell/buy" several times ? I don't mind for a few items, but when you're selling refined pentaxid or buying ingots it can get tedious.

13. Bollen

Bollen Captain

OK, so after two weekends of testing I confess I hate it! I appreciate that you gave us the ability to disable the controller, but you didn't give us the ability to disable/unbind some of the functions to use in other settings. For example, some of us were using the mouse wheel to control ROLL, we can still do that but the mouse is now also locked into the belt, so whenever we roll the belt selection goes crazy! This means that it's impossible to fly and use a weapon because as soon as you roll the weapon gets deselected....

I understand that we'll have to be patient, but destroying the way we could play the game for years is quite heartbreaking...:(. I simply cannot play with mouse and keyboard, it's just a no, no for me and as a long time supporter I feel a little bit let down by you dear devs.

To exemplify:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Master Onagi likes this.
  14. Tino

Tino Ensign

I play with a xbox one controller, i can configure with Joytokey BUT now some keys are a doubled with the key native in empyrion for the controller. Somebody knows how to do that ?

15. Compleximpact

Compleximpact Ensign

Standing by to play Empyrion due to the controller support being removed for re-working. Kinda bummed the features were removed, but also totally understandable especially if improvements are being made to the controller features and support. Especially since I'm using Logitech F310, and X-56 Rhino Advanced Flight Controls HOTAS. Hopefully I can map all the buttons I have to some feature. Can't wait.

Bollen likes this.
  16. Master Onagi

Master Onagi Ensign

Try disabling the controller from within the game...

17. Tino

Tino Ensign

IT works thank you !!!!

18. Tino

Tino Ensign

Ok I did everything with Joytokey, everything is fine but it isn't working as well as it was before. I hope it will comeback as it was. PLEASE

Bollen likes this.
  19. wimpy

wimpy Commander

I forgot the controller support was added. Very nice been using xbox1 controller today. works good. Looking forward to being able to configure the buttons

20. Master Onagi

Master Onagi Ensign

Can we get the controller to have "disable Controller" instead of "Enable Controller" ? just because when I switch out of the game and come back the controller re-enables itself, even if the check box is not checked. With a "disable controller" it would only need to check the check box first then if it's not checked, then it can look for the controller.

Bollen likes this.