Alpha 10.5 - Updated LCD Panels + LCD Projector

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    You can now use A LOT of new styling options, icons and sprites with the updated LCD Panels + the LCD Projector allows for entirely new creativy options ( Think more of a holo sign projector)

Additions/Change
    - Added LCD Projector block (can be found in LCD Group) - a projector has no own screen but projects the content into the surrounding area (with configurable size and offset)
    - Newly placed signs will by default use the “new mode" that allows multi-color text and sprites
    - note that some international character sets are not yet available (e.g. East Asian characters), if you need them please use the Legacy mode (works exactly as before)
    - Extended 'Sign Edit' window by font symbol and sprite selection windows (sprites only usable with new LCD mode)
    - Added 'Help' button to show the new formatting possibilities
    - Added tooltips to most UI elements to indicate functionality

garyice and Sephrajin like this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    signs.jpg

Sephrajin likes this.
  3. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    -tba-

4. byte

byte Ensign

Really great jop, tnx. :)

Suggestions
    • Is it possible to add basic dynamic statistic tags like <power> <battery> <power_left> <damage> etc.? Maybe with an update rate of 2-5 seconds. That would be very cool. I hope that is not too difficult. The variables already exist's, just connect it to the tags and cyclic refresh?!? :)
    • Projector : Maybe an setting for "angle" or "upright/flat" would be helpful. For example… now you can't place the projector "on floor" in a room to use it like a big TV. Or in a corridor on the wall. The projection is just flat on the floor/wall, not "in the space". I have make an Edge to do this.

garyice, xmacleod and Sephrajin like this.
  5. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

First of all...
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! :D :D:cool::rolleyes::)

I havent bothered looking at the sign insert functionality just yet, as I was a bit overhelmed by its description (but as hobby coder I had waaaay too complex thoughts than what it actualy seems to be :p)

What I kind of would like is to place the LCD projector on the floor.
    You know, just like the regular LCD panels.

In short, so far so good.
    But there is one single catch....

We seem to have less actual text-space on the LCD with the new mode.
    But, that textwrap is cool!

@byte for that is the ModApi:
    https://github.com/GitHub-TC/EmpyrionScripting

Engine room: Look at the red and blue LCD progress bar upright back at the wall below the signs.
    Cockpit: See the clock and the playfield name with coordintes, thats the modapi too - all dynamic updating.

My 2 cents so far (just figured about those LCD yesterday ;)

Attached Files:

6. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Uh ya.. angles would be cool for the projectors:
    20190918083855_1.jpg

7. Track Driver

Track Driver Rear Admiral

I'm still experimenting.
    2019-09-19 (1).png 2019-09-19 (2).png
    I like not having to open a second window to select a symbol, copy, return to LCD, paste, repeat. This is so much better!
    I think the sprites are great! I hope ther will be more.
    I like the flexibility of the projector, though I wish there was a smaller increment of adjustment in offset.
    Regarding sprites, "Fuel Pipeline" is great, except it can't go ON a pipe. It floats there like a hologram. For some things that may be fine, but as a piping designer (ret.) it doesn't work for me. JMO.

Maybe it won't work here, but I woild really like some (if not all) of these sprites to be applied by the texture tool. As nifty as the projector is, it still requires placing a barely noticeable device that occupies an entire block space.

Kassonnade likes this.
  8. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

The main thing I want to see added is being able to use all 3 axis. Angles would be nice but harder to implement I would think. But adding the 3rd direction shouldn't be as hard.

garyice, Track Driver and jmtc like this.
  9. TrashMan

TrashMan Commander

I find the size and positioning of sprites is the hardest to get right.

If I want to put a Medical Bay sprite on both sides of the door, the size and positioning is always off

Track Driver likes this.
  10. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

During the testing phase I didn't even touch the Projectors until they got their current dedicated model. Now I use them for everything and they can be used for everything.
    The actual buttons and settings in the projector are secondary to all the formatting codes that can be overlapped to produce impossible results from laser security fields to complex cockpit HUDs that can be used for actual flight and combat. The ability of the projectors to project not only from outside the room, but even from completely different bases enables a massive level of detail that wasn't available before.

So people, just because the LCD's size slider has a limit of 50, doesn't mean you can't use <size=500> and make a massive holographic projection above your base (works on sprites, and I recommend doing size tags on them because they're all tiny.)
    Also important are <line-height=X>, <indent=X> and most importantly: <align=center>. You have no idea how useful center alignment is for projectors until you realize that almost all signs need to be center-aligned. You can even change the level of transparency of the projection to vary between completely solid and barely visible.
    [​IMG]
    Enclosed Cockpit HUD (FA-039A Rapier)
    14 Coldmarch_2019-09-21_18-41-50.png
    Open Double-Cockpit Double-HUD (FA-40A Prophet)
    These are all accurate and match up with the pilot's aiming point.
    14 Coldmarch_2019-09-21_18-43-57.png
    Privacy Screens for bunks on the FA-040A.
    These are more complicated than they look. They need multiple sets of line-height and cspace tags with very precise measurements (in pixels).
    The same method can be used to make laser forcefields and view obstruction fields.

11. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Yes they allow quite a few wondrous

Impossible decorations....
    20190921162048_1.jpg

Animated technical displays
    20190921161950_1.jpg

Animated screens and walkways....
    20190921162228_1.jpg

This is my mainframe

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Can you elaborate on this please ?

13. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

The projector can display a text or image offset by 9 blocks from it's position, so it can be located on a different base, unfortunately 9 is not that far away, we're pushing devs to increase that to 20 or even 50 if possible

That would allow us to build for e.g. signs pointing to a landing pad when the pilot approaches or commercials over a merchant store, or illuminated walkways over a glass bridge, or whatever....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    ravien_ff and Kassonnade like this.
  14. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Ok thanks.

Once we're at it, what about pushing them so signals can be received across different structures ?

15. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Alright maybe my age is showing here but where might one find these codes?

Track Driver likes this.
  16. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Most of them are in the GUI by clicking the [?] button, on Page 2.
    Various size and color options (including transparency), alignment, indentation, character spacing, bold, italic, underline, line-height, subscript and superscript (I haven't used those two). There's also a sprite command, but there's a button that's better for adding those.

17. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

:oops: ok my eye sight must be going too.:eek: I could have sworn I looked at everything. Thank mate I will have another look:rolleyes:

ravien_ff likes this.
  18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Track Driver likes this.
  19. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Mate please tell me you have this ship on the workshop so I can see how you have done this! You have gotten me so inspired to try all these wonderful ideas. I really need my mind to to expand to the next level before my gray mater fails me completely!:eek:

Bollen likes this.
  20. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Dang you guys just keep trying to make my mind work again! Thank you for this Ravien!:D