Feedback Required Alpha 10 - EXP: Combined Color-Textur Tool

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Combined Texture and Color Tool:
    • Added new tool that combines texturing and coloring
    • You can now choose a texture and a color and apply both at the same time: Instead of applying first the new texture, then changing to the color tool and choosing the new color, you can now just choose a texture and color at the same time and the apply both with one click
    • Removed the old texture tool and color tool from the Creative Menu and techtree

Handling update
    • When clicking on a texture or color with LMB, close window immediately (it is like the old behavior)
    • When clicking on a texture or color with RMB, just select/highlight texture/color (do not close window)
    • Separate color and texture preview in right-bottom corner (i.e. 2 preview slots, only color and only texture)
    • Allow only texture and color mode:
      • (i) "Only texture" mode (keep current color) - when selecting left upper slot and choosing a texture
      • (ii) "Only color" mode (keep current texture) - when selecting left upper slot and choosing a color
    • Restore default texture and color - when selecting left upper slot for both texture and color
    • Add icon to left upper slots and also display in right-bottom corner (if either selected for color or texture)
    • Replace function affects textures and colors based on selected items

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    [​IMG]

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  3. SceptreX42

SceptreX42 Lieutenant

I'm kind of torn on this one. If you have a bunch of blocks that you want to have the same texture and color, this is great. However, if you have blocks with multiple textures and want to change the color on all of them, this is going to be more work than swapping between separate tools. Also, you won't be able to recolor an already textured block without rotating the texture.

If you are going to keep the combined tool, you need to add the option to change just the texture or just the color without affecting the other. Maybe have "empty" slots in the texture and color palettes, with some way to distinguish them from the slots that currently remove textures and colors.

4. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

Maybe we can have this tool in addition like an upgrade? so lvl 12 maybe?

klick twice ;)

+1

ViralGamer likes this.
  5. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

2 other things:
    upload_2019-6-5_14-6-13.png upload_2019-6-5_14-6-13.png

what colour is this that replaced the dark green?

And what i kinda miss is, with the former tools, the menu closed once you selected a colour/texture. So maybe this new menu should also close once colour and texture is selected?

6. SceptreX42

SceptreX42 Lieutenant

I thought about that too. You can still use the Esc key to quickly exit the dialog, though.

Edit: I was just playing around with it, and if you click on a texture or color twice, it closes the dialog box. So just select your texture and color and click the last one selected again to close it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  7. Sjado

Sjado Ensign

The color on the block (lower right corner) does not match the color in the selector nor the color of the block it creates.

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

8. SceptreX42

SceptreX42 Lieutenant

Were you trying to color something that was using a custom palette? I still have dark green on mine.

9. Sjado

Sjado Ensign

One tool in game play be it solo or multiplayer is fine. The benefits and drawbacks balance out.

However in creative, the single tool is not great, especially when mass changing color on multiple textures. I suppose you could always use the single tool in game play and allow the other tools in creative.

10. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

I recommend being able to close the tool's window with right click, like you can with the shape menu for blocks. With whatever's currently selected remaining selected, instead of cancelled.

Also, can the color and texture display on the window on the bottom-right corner be seperated into two seperate tiles. When they're overlayed it's both inaccurate to what you'll be painting on a block and impossible to see what the texture is for at least half the selected textures (you just see a colored blur).

A better tool name would be nice too. Texture and Color Tool is a bit too long unless people start calling it TCT or TACT, which probably won't catch on.

Pach, Frigidman and ravien_ff like this.
  11. Adonnay

Adonnay Lieutenant

+1

12. Na_Palm

Na_Palm Captain

additionally the Replace Mode does'nt work for textures if you used Stone and Steel in your base. Then only the color changes...

Somewhere in the forum i read about the wish for a new mode to change only the texture/color on same surfaces as the targeted surface texture.
    Think this would be handy, too.

edit: forgot the last word texture, as it is essential...:confused:

13. Rico74

Rico74 Ensign

At first glance I liked the idea, however as pointed out in previous replies, this is not an improvement, maybe even a step down if you are using a lot of different textures before you apply the pain job. When building stuff I usually build and textures and when it's done spraypaint the whole thing to finalize with paint details... so this tool would not be an upgrade.
    I prefer to have 2 tools, it's faster to swap quickslot then to open the texture tool and go to the decals and letters/number for example. So if you go to 1 tool, I hope you can equip several and they don't share whatever you choose...

14. sulusdacor

sulusdacor Ensign

overall nice addition, if 2nd point can be implemented, otherwise a hard no from my side.
    (since then it will do the opposite, meaning texturing and painting will become even more time consuming/tedious as before.)

- as already mentioned replace not working properly.

- an option to turn either on/off is needed(yes like the old version, or add old tool too). the double version you guys added is nice to finish a build fast, to do some broad texturing/coloring and speed things up there. but (and this is a big but here) when all that is done you add symbols, switch some colors/textures around etc. for detail work the current feature is not suited at all. esp for larger builds. it does excatly the oppoite then what it is added for...
    with a palette where colors are close together you would have to pick the exact color just to try some symbols7textures around. this will be more trouble then it's worth quite fast. same for just changing textures over an area, where you have different textures, you would have to adjust the texture each time just to paint an area/line.
    (the replace textures/colors for materials does not fix these issues)

PS: an old problem with the symbols is still there: for example when adding a symbol from symbol page 1 on a block side, then adding another new symbol from page 2 on the same block, but another side. then removing the symbol with the empty space (top left corner field) from page 2, will only remove new symbol, but when using a symbol removal square form another symbolpage will remove all symbols from the block. it would be nice if this could be fixed, if this is fixable?

PSS: jsut read above form rico74. yeah swithing tools might be faster. then right click and selecting stuff. additional to that could we get like a massive speed up to weapon swithing speed to make it basicly instant (at least in creative for the texture and color tools. such a change would speed up the work. since you wait like 1sec when swithcing color/textur tool when you have them in the hotkeybar

texas_tornado likes this.
  15. ViralGamer

ViralGamer Ensign

What we need is to be able to switch off the automatic reload that happens each time you switch weapons. This would speed up the process without needing to do much else.

Also, it would be nice to NOT use up any kind of ammo/blocks when in Creative Mode. And for those who would say this is "cheating", if it is my game, and I am in Single Player mode, and I do not have some score or pile of gold to compare to yours online, then I should be able to play the game any way I please. I paid for it.

16. Sjado

Sjado Ensign

If we are going to have only one tool, then yes I agree with the one and off switch but honestly quite happy with two after testing some more.

17. JCD

JCD Lieutenant

This tool is a nightmare. Don't get me wrong, improved coloring and texturing abilities would be great, but what you are doing is removing functionality and replacing it with less useful functionality. Some suggestions:

• Make it so it doesn't stack to 999.
    • Add ability to toggle texture, decal, and color painting on and off. It should be possible to use them one at a time, all three at once, or whatever creators want to use to help them with their current task.
    • Add a way to toggle rotating of textures on and off, including a mode that rotates even over area paints. Instead of rotating once per click, make it jump to a chosen angle of rotation (up down left or right).
    • Allow for textures to be rotated over all four directions.
    • When you paint a texture, make the angle it paints not be based on block's orientation, but on the side's orientation. This way, if a random block is facing a different way, you don't have the textures suddenly turning to face a different direction. Use the cull direction of a face?
    • Add a new shader input for "accent" colors, so people can finally change the blue color of thrusters and device lights. Use a splatmap, I don't know.
    • Change color blending mode so it doesn't just change the hue. Give people more control for deeper color changes if they want. Some textures have unsaturated portions that will not change much no matter what color you add to them. Maybe you could make the blend mode customizable, or you could use splat maps to add multiple colorable sections for every texture...
    This seems like a lot for Alpha 10. Maybe put most of this off till later? Just make sure you don't leave us with a broken tool for an entire major update cycle... lol

18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

This was my first thought too.

Pear78 likes this.
  19. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I would love a way to color the emissive portions of textures a different color than the rest of the texture, so you could have for example gray walls with blue lights.

Pach likes this.
  20. JCD

JCD Lieutenant

The system they use already is VERY complicated it looks like, but splat maps are super easy to do. Using that, you could have two colors that you can use on the same texture (main and accent, or something).

EDIT: Splat maps can actually easily be done with up to four colors when using normal textures... just make each channel be a different color (r g b and a). Doing anymore than that would require a custom system, which would make it harder for artists to make the splat texutres. But I think 2 is plenty. I don't see any textures that could use 4 color regions.

EDIT2: One crazy idea is you could do all of this without even adding a new texture input. You can just add all of this to the smoothness texture. You only need one channel for that anyways.
    * r = color1
    * g = color2
    * b = color3
    * a = smoothness
    The texture would look strange but that doesn't matter. You can make everything separately and put it together in something like photoshop without much difficulty. I have done something like this before myself while messing around with OpenGL. For the color inputs for the actual colorizing colors, just make it be a 9 float array instead of a 3 float array...