Feedback Required Alpha 10 - EXP: Combined Color-Textur Tool

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 5, 2019.

1. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

Well, right now the combined tool is not an upgrade but is a downgrade for the majority of us.

We've listed an extremely simple way for them to fix it and make it an upgrade. Until then this combined tool actually takes something that was pretty straight forward and makes it overly complicated and take way longer.

Germanicus likes this.
  2. Na_Palm

Na_Palm Captain

Its it first iterration and in experimantal, so changes to make it more productive will be most lickly. At least i hope:D

Pach and nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ like this.
  3. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

inever said anything different but
    ¯\ (ツ) /¯

4. sulusdacor

sulusdacor Ensign

just heads up, you can load old saves, where you still have the old tools and use them like before.

5. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Quick fyi > The devs are aware of the issue with you cannot paint and texture individually anymore and will try to find a good solution (either checkboxes or an incremental function).

6. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Once this is fixed, I feel I can be 100% on-board here. As mentioned previously, the number one issue is not broad/bulk painting, but going in and doing detail work. It is here where you need to be able to swap JUST a texture, or JUST a color.

Looking forward to v2 of this tool!

--Brian

7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

For anyone who deleted their old texture and color tools and still wants access to them in creative mode, I created a blueprint that has a texture and color tool saved in the cargo box. Simply download this blueprint to your Empyrion - Galactic Survival/Saves/Blueprints/<SteamID> folder and spawn it in a creative game and access the cargo box.

It might also work in survival with the "sbp" command but not sure.

@Fractalite @RazzleWin

Attached Files:

8. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

MATE! Your awesome! Thank you for that!:D We so need a thumbs up emote!

9. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

Has the devs considered the common practice of good cgi artists (I, not among them atm) finding anything that takes their eyes off their work as a distraction, so large menus is a no no, because it blocks the build, and minimization of anything but the build takes front and center... that's why always hotkeys if possible, and then the smallest menu afterwards... maybe something people that build in Empy can't articulate, but notice as less ergonomic now...?

10. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Ravien, you are my hero, but I think I will give it a few days. I got pretty frustrated; best to not compound these things.

Thank you though, this is very thoughtful.

Pach and ravien_ff like this.
  11. Phiclotheone

Phiclotheone Ensign

Hi devs,

After flying around with my SV and coming back to my base, I noticed a bug where some parts of the base would fade from sight (like windows, door and some devices). I get in my SV, fly away some distance and come back. Every part of my base is back where it belongs.

What files do I need to provide from my savegame files to help resolve this very annoying issue ?

Regards

12. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

One less item/tool is nice, but all handheld tools should use a chargeable battery instead of packs (or the same pack at least, and able to be made of fuel packs and not 10 promethium pellets). I have not read all posts carefully, so feel the tool misses:

Have a row in the tool where you can put in templates of selections, color and texture AND area.

Be able to pick color and texture by aim at a block (mouse left+right ?).

13. J.Duarte

J.Duarte Ensign

Color / Texture tool stoped working for some reason
    I select the tool texture and color and click and that's it nothing happens no errors nothing

14. J.Duarte

J.Duarte Ensign

color seams to be working but not the texture

15. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

I think the all in one tool is a solid idea, but the learning curve is decidedly German. Ideally, when I point at a block and open the tool options, it should have the current texture and color already selected. From there it's just a matter of selecting what we want to change, color or texture, or both. The way it is now forces us to select both every time, and it's crippling.

oh.. someone beat me to it:

Edit: I changed my mind. It should default to null values for both texture and color. That way it's only one click to re-paint, or re-texture, just like the old tools.

Here is the puzzle:
    Screenshot - 6_7_2019 , 7_24_44 PM.png
    1. Make this. Don't count this part.
    2. Change the Empyrion crosshair to another symbol, do not change block orientation. Pun intended.
    3. Make the block below your symbol block look like the other two on it's right. Doesn't matter how.

That's it. How many steps, counting your mistakes? Or, am I doing it wrong?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  16. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

With the old way, that woulda been done faster than reading the bullet points....

ravien_ff and Germanicus like this.
  17. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

Ok, I concede. The more I read, the more I see it's already been beat to death. The old way, having two specialized tools, is just better, even in theory.

18. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

All they really needed was zero-weapon-switch delay between them ;)

Syncretos likes this.
  19. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Handling update
    • When clicking on a texture or color with LMB, close window immediately (it is like the old behavior)
    • When clicking on a texture or color with RMB, just select/highlight texture/color (do not close window)
    • Separate color and texture preview in right-bottom corner (i.e. 2 preview slots, only color and only texture)
    • Allow only texture and color mode:
      • (i) "Only texture" mode (keep current color) - when selecting left upper slot and choosing a texture
      • (ii) "Only color" mode (keep current texture) - when selecting left upper slot and choosing a color
    • Restore default texture and color - when selecting left upper slot for both texture and color
    • Add icon to left upper slots and also display in right-bottom corner (if either selected for color or texture)
    • Replace function affects textures and colors based on selected items

20. Adonnay

Adonnay Lieutenant

Okay, I used it for a couple of hours now and I think it's a great improvement.

What I like:
    * Only texture mode / only color mode
    * No need to click twice to close

What I don't like (yet):
    It's still alot of movement and interaction necessary with the mouse to switch between texture only or color only. What people liked about the old separate tools: You press one key to get texture only and then press also one key to get color only.

Now for color only you have to:
    1. click to open the UI
    2. navigate to the no-texture symbol
    3. click on that with the left mouse button to close the UI (if you don't want to select a new color - if you do you have an additional step but that step is the same in the old and the new tool world).

When you want to switch to texture only you have to:
    4. open the UI again
    5. navigate to the texture you want (because you deselected it in step 2)
    6. right-click that to keep the UI open
    7. navigate to the no-color symbol
    8. left click that to close the UI

That's alot to process to do that efficiently and quick. Especially two different buttons for the same functionality. Right and left click can both select while only the left click instantly closes. That is hard to translate into muscle memory. I still constantly click left when I actually wanted to click right and vice versa.

I still think we need hotkeys to better support that tool and to mitigate the single most gripe about the new tool: The switching process.

For example:
    Bind Q to color-only mode, E to texture-only mode. Make the tool remember what texture and color you had selected and make the options mutually exclusive so when you enable one it disables the other one! To get into combined mode press both keys at once or define a third hotkey (i.e. SHIFT+E)

Now the above would go as follows:
    1. Hit Q and the tool selects the previously selected color and disables textures...

2. Hit E and the tool selects the previously used texture and disables colors ...

This way I think it would almost exactly work like the old tools - with the benefits of the new tool (faster switching, more possibilities) - unless of course I missed something.

StyxAnnihilator and Fractalite like this.