Feedback Required Alpha 10 - EXP: Drilling mode changes and improvements

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, May 14, 2019.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    We have made quite a few changes in terms of drilling and mining. First an foremost all the handheld mining tools should now be significantly FASTER than before, but also the vessel-based tools should handle much better now.

Changes
    • Removes terrain as a whole semi-sphere instead of small voxels (= significantly fewer terrain-updates per m³ changed = CPU saving and network traffic)
    • Faster drilling (as a result of the aforementioned)
    • Improved drill mode that, for example now allows to cut out tunnels more nicely (try handheld drill or HV drill)
    • Faster resource gathering (less grinding)
    • Added Drill mode to Survival Tool, so you can now also dig holes and drill with this tool
    • Rebalanced: Survival Tool, Drill T2, Epic Drill, Debug Drill (Mechanical Drill T1 will not be used anymore; the Drill mode for Survival Tool will take its place - renamed “Drill T2” into “Drill”
    • Added fine drill mode for Drill and Epic Drill
    • Flattening mode now uses new drill mode and thus is now very fast in flattening areas
    • Stronger filler mode for faster filling of terrain
    • Merged resource drill and stone drill mode into one mode for all drills + survival tool
    • Added new drill mode to all vessel-based drill (but without projector HUD element)
    • Switched ordering of drill modes on handheld Drill and Epic Drill
    • Handheld Drill and Epic Drill: Each mode now has a visually slightly different particle effect
    • Added better muzzle flash to Survival Tool, Drill and Epic Drill

dichebach, Ballard, zztong and 3 others like this.
  2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

First impression of the Changes to the Survival-Tool:
    Very good idea - by extending the abilities of the ST you solved several requests at once.
    By removing the T1 Drill the Biofuel is now available in larger quantities for the O2 Generator( Survival on Arid-Planet) as the ST does not need fuel. The rotating targeting circle might need a bit of thoughts but for now it is sufficient.
    Still have to check how it work under water - tried to drill a Silicon Rock close to the shore but under the surface - no reaction.
    Well done!:)

3. Slimer

Slimer Lieutenant

When i use the Drone to mine ,with the ST,when the blue pointer is outside the ''drones mid triangle'' it wont drill (not a distance issue).
    Is it how it should be now? Happens all the time though so not sure if thats how it should work now

Attached Files:

4. Liang

Liang Commander

Torn on the idea of removing the T1 Drill and using the survival tool. Not needing the fuel for the drill makes the start of the game a little too easy (which was already the case) and I am blowing through the game even faster than before with next to no challenge. While this may seem fine for some, you are losing even more sense of "survival". Should we be rushing to end game like this is an MMO?!? I feel like this game is going to be hurt big time by having this rush to the end...why even have a progression system at all if we are going to get to the end so fast and easy?

The survival tool targeting recticle. I dont get it. Shouldnt this only show up for your drone? Having it for my character feels and looks wrong. Perhaps add a way to turn it off because its pulling me out of being immersed in the game. Perhaps if I had a suit with a helmet and it came up as part of a helmet based HUD that can be turned on and off.

Other than those two things, I have come across no other bugs and drilling seems "smoother".

5. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Commander

I agree the game already had a problem with free services greatly outweighing their cost versions for a long time. This would have been fine if the T1 drill was kept and the survival tool was made significantly slower for drilling, its a survival tool ffs it should be a last resort not your primary mining tool for the first half of the game.

6. Psukhomanteia

Psukhomanteia Ensign

I agree that the survival tool should not replace the T1 Drill, its fine that is has the capacity to drill but it should be very inefficient at it to encourage upgrading.

7. The_Kramer

The_Kramer Ensign

Drilling underwater don't work, inteded?
    Can not pick ore under water had to use drone to pickup, if you drill roch on shore and ore jump it water it's a little annoying to not be abble to collect but far from game breaking
    blue circle seems... hum useless?
    shooted with shotgun a cricket and got error
    some trees with no collision can't be chainsawed
    some pickable not harvestable like a akua berry tree even if it's good to pick
    all are some minor bugs and for now really enjoyed this A10 exp!
    keep good work goind!

8. hound

hound Captain

Wonderful change with drilling.....now I can get some ore and go and do something worthwhile instead of looking at a rock.
    Tedium is not gameplay.

9. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I'm a little torn regarding the loss of the T1 Drill. I thought the progression from the rock mining only Survival Tool, to the multi-purpose T1 Drill to be a good one. It felt like I was making real progress at the early-game stage. The subsequent jump to the T2 Drill, it greater feature set and faster drilling was an equally good progression.

I'll give it some time to get used to it - I'm aware it's only for the early-game - but currently feel that Survival progression has lost something by this change. It's like the easy to make tool is now too good, rather than a tool that just allows for basic survival needs. Other than that, I'm happy with all other changes to drilling so far.

Scoob.

10. Pach

Pach Captain

So first of all, I really, really LOVE the faster drilling!

I'm going to hold comments on the survival tool being overpowered until I get to where I'm using the actual drill to compare. Initial impression though: it may be too overpowered.

I really LOVE that the old issue of "point at this one lump of rock and watch everything BUT that rock vanish" has been fixed: if the spinning dot is on it, it gets mined!

I did notice that the survival tool doesn't seem to give very much crushed rock, which is rather useful early game (especially if you can't find a particular ore node, or enough of a particular ore node). Is this intentional?

Caiden! and Germanicus like this.
  11. Dawg

Dawg Ensign

Seems we all agree that now that the survival tool is more for beginning and mid game it needs to have fuel again. If not what is the reason for getting the T2 drill if you do not build underground? Drill deposits should never come free.......Perhaps something can be added in the config guys until devs figure this out. Biofuel would be fine because if you put a harvester on your first HV wood is no concern at all.

12. Jawatraders

Jawatraders Lieutenant

Drilling used to be my least favorite part of Empyrion. It felt like the entire early game was spent in a hole, tediously drilling. The slow speed and frequent need to refill biofuel was very repetitive, and every game I started felt the exact same. The faster speeds in Alpha 10 have completely changed the early game for me, and I don't think the survival tool needs to have a fuel requirement.

I know some people would like every device to have a fuel requirement (like the survival constructor, motorbike, etc), but I don't think that adds any more 'survival' than adding a different color to the sky would. For me, adding a fuel requirement would just increase the grind in the early game. Biofuel takes 4o seconds to make (I'm pretty sure), and that's a long time to sit around a constructor, especially since you usually need to make more than 1.

Of course this brings the question of balance into play. How does the survival tool fit in compared to the other drills? Right now, it seems like a player would use the survival tool until they can find Neodymium, which would be after they warp to another planet and/or asteroid field. So in theory, the player would use the survival tool for the entire early and a small part of the mid-game.

But why would a player switch to the T2 drill if they could just drill for free, you ask? The answer is: speed. I tested the survival tool and the T2 drill on multiple deposits and basic ground to get a feel for the speed. I have determined that the T2 drill is considerably faster than the survival tool, and is definitely worth upgrading to. Using the survival tool on the "Level 3" deposits (Erestrium, Zacosium, Pentaxid) is not worth it compared to the T2 drill.

runlykhel, Slimer, Pach and 1 other person like this.
  13. Liang

Liang Commander

3 full hours into the patch, almost level 20.

The difficulty level of the game needs to be greatly increased and right now the progression system is broken even further than it already was with this survival tool change. being able to gather everything from the start with no resource consumption just killed the survival aspect of the game...even No mans Sky makes you upgrade a bunch of times to be able to get different resources and that game is survival for kids. :(

I can blow through nodes insanely fast with my HV also...Gathering resources is supposed to be a major part of games like this. Bleh these changes need to be adjusted and partly reversed.

|AUT|Observer162 and R-TEAM like this.
  14. SceptreX42

SceptreX42 Lieutenant

I'm OK with the survival tool being able to drill, but agree with others in that the T1 drill should not be removed. I generally try to get rid of the survival tool as soon as possible (level 3), mostly because it has so many functions and uses no fuel. Now I have to hold onto it until I have an advanced constructor and can replace it with a better drill? That's ridiculous.

15. Pach

Pach Captain

Kind of interesting you say this. I do the opposite: I hold onto it for a while, because it uses no fuel. I never make the chainsaw, except in tutorial testing, because it uses so much fuel to cut down trees. And you have to pick up the logs from the ground afterwards, while the ST drops them right in your inventory
    (shhhhh! don't let the Devs see that bug!)
    which is nice convenience factor.

But I tended to keep my ST for a good long while, until I got a harvester HV and decent drills...

And I swapped to the T1 drill because the ST originally couldn't drill dirt.

Germanicus likes this.
  16. SceptreX42

SceptreX42 Lieutenant

OK, so it looks like the drill (formerly the T2 drill) can't currently be crafted because it requires the mechanical drill (which no longer exists) as a component.

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  17. Pach

Pach Captain

This has actually been reported and I believe there's a fix coming :)

Kind of an easy mistake to make in the code, if you think about it...

Germanicus likes this.
  18. Liang

Liang Commander

Having mined a bunch of Pentaxid and Promethium now, I am really missing the old cylinder style of smaller clumps with higher yields. Never thought I would have said that before yet, the variety in mining is now gone and I can feel it.

So far, the only drawback to this update is the changes to mining and the obvious few new bugs.

19. hound

hound Captain

Mining change NUMBER FIVE. Pentaxid now is the old new model again. Did we get a new design team that didn't know the older refits?
    Or are we just changing AGAIN?

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  20. Hector G

Hector G Lieutenant

I have only used survival tool so far but it’s perfect! I question the sanity of anyone wanting T1 back or making it slow again. Mining was by far the most tedious activity and I would usually just end up just giving myself a T2 or a few ores to avoid it.
    Not only am I enjoying now but I even enjoy doing it manually now without a drone so I don’t fall into a hole accidentally.