Alpha 11.1: Stabilization, new stock Blueprints

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Nov 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

3-6 fps in the rain at a small base on water using heavy glass as a landing pad for a less than size 1 cv.
    seems fine on land but at this glass pad its unplayable.

3 fps from the usual 50 which sticks in every aspect of this game including pvp.

Rain is broken perhaps where heavy glass and reflections is concerned, and should not be the most graphically demanding feature of this game by a long shot.

You wont believe how many times I have had to log out of HWS because rain smashed my fps at my base only.

stanley bourdon and Germanicus like this.
  2. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

The game will be trying to reserve 8 GB for itself on startup. So out of the 12 GB you have, Windows is taking a chunk, AV some, etc. Meaning you may have to shut down a couple things before launching the game. If you want the higher quality textures.

Win Task Manager is your friend to see actual memory use.

Example, my system is using 4.13 GB of RAM and the only things I have running is Firefox, which I just started and only has these forums loaded, anti-virus, a couple Notepad text windows and Steam.
    After I look around for a couple internet deals FF will chew up another 1/2 a gigabyte easy. And while I have 16GB, I almost always shut down FF before starting EGS because FF spikes it's CPU useage and that results in in-game stutter for me.

TK85 likes this.
  3. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Almost the same for me - made a screenshot -> FF open plus EGS in the Background running
    CPU.jpg

StyleBBQ likes this.
  4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Game is performing better than ever here. Ships also, mostly because I kept 1 rcs while being under CPU limits, and limits were raised so...

Just a random question : why are so many people playing games with their anti-virus active? Can anyone provide me with an actual "personal experience" of needing an active anti-virus while playing a game, and more precisely Empyrion ?

5. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

Here is one to add to the mix. Windows 10, I only have 8 gigs of ram. I no longer use firefox and now use chrome.
    I have anti virus running (too lazy to turn it off).
    Open office working on my story off and on. Media player with my play list.
    Yet the game at the start tells me to clear 1.5 gigs when it starts up (with everything running).
    Never saw that red text some people are having show up on their screen.
    Lag doesn't seem any more then before. Rain hasn't been a real bother to me. Picking plants isn't a bother ether.

It's just a Dell laptop my wife got for me almost 2 years ago

stanley bourdon and Kassonnade like this.
  6. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Most AVs can be set to ignore certain programs, some recognize games and offer to do so. But a good AV will still monitor a game when it's starting up, to see if it's doing something it shouldn't, then ignore it while it runs. Meaning the AV should catch it if a game executable got cracked and a virus attempts to use the game to install rat code or whatever. Like some of the cell phone games have had happen.

Main danger point is Steam. Imagine how incredibly tempting a target Steam is for hackers. All those users to infect.

Older days you'd have to manually stop or pause the AV when starting a play session, then have to remember to start it up again. Now a days that shouldn't be nessesary. You'd have to check what your AV is doing to certain.
    (and since I haven't re-verified the one I use since the last engine update, I won't say it's name just in case they've changed :) )

So, to me, an additional second or two on game start while an AV scans for malware is well worth it.
    --
    worth noting that the old 'disable/pause' was system wide, so if you left a browser running in the background while playing a game that could become an unprotected infection vector. Or any other programs like iTunes, Acrobat, Java, etc.

TK85, runlykhel and stanley bourdon like this.
  7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

@StyleBBQ : I asked "Can anyone provide me with an actual "personal experience" of needing an active anti-virus while playing a game, and more precisely Empyrion ?"

Edit : forgot to put emphasis on the word "need" up here, to indicate I wanted examples (or numbers) of people getting "infected" by games, on Steam, or even Empyrion.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  8. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Yes you did :)
    and I can't say I have experianced EGS being hacked, and a running AV stopping it from infecting my system. Hopefully I never will.

9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Well that was the point of the question, I did not need a course on anti-virus usage. ;)

I have been using computers for a long time now, for play and for work, and apart a handful of occurences where fellow workers did some stupid things on their workstation, I never saw the need to have an anti-virus at home, and there are none actually on all computers I have. I have a few simple rules for anyone using one of my machines, and in more than 10 years had never seen the tail of a problem.

Recommending usage of an anti-virus is one thing, but not mentioning what can actually cause infections is another problem, as even with an active anti-virus people can get infected by new, unidentified threats, as it has been the case in most of the recent "infections" reported in various media.

That is why I asked for "personal experience" because for 99.99% of the time, an anti-virus is mostly taking up resources for no real "threat" in sight, and usually it's the first culprit when looking for problems related to normal operation of games. So I was curious to know a bit of "historical occurences" among the players who actually use an anti-virus, and how any infection was related to Empyrion or another game on Steam, for example.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    StyleBBQ likes this.
  10. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

@Kassonnade I can't give you numbers. But I'm sure there are others like myself that surf the net while waiting for plants to grow or waiting for the sun to rise so I can go back out while in the day in empyrion. (Don't like sleeping in tents. Back problems you know :))

In this day and age many people are using wifi at home and everyone is connected in the home. When I had my company, It only took less then a minute for a virus to hit everyone connected to the local network. I had to shut down the studio and send everyone home for three weeks while I cleaned it out of every computer. From that day on, no one ran without virus protection.
    You might not get a virus from the game or steam itself. That doesn't stop it from getting in other ways.:(

So for me it's better to be safe then sorry:)

11. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

My bet is that someone logging on your network was already infected. Possible ?

You also fall out from the "average player" category, describing a company context which I used as an example where "mass attacks" happened, reported in media, etc.

Germanicus likes this.
  12. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

LOL sadly no that wasn't the case. I was the silly bugger that caused it. I hit a site looking for game cheats to some game at the time. So I know where it came from and watched as every system grind to a stop. Dropped my head in shame and sent everyone home :(

13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Hahaha!

That's why I mentioned I set strict rules for network/ computer usage at home. The advent of "home computers" got a boost from a time where hackers ruled, which allowed lots of illegitimate "hacked" Windows OS to get into homes where nobody knew a thing about "computers". That contributed to make PCs popular to a wider audience than the previous "geek" crowd, and of course there was a place for "newbies" in the market after that, but these machines were primarily designed for "work", not so much for "play".

Jump a few years in the future, and we now have a huge portion of PC users that don't know what a file extension is, what an executable (or text file...) does, etc, and they like big buttons and bright colors...

What kind of "PC geek" ever asked to "hide system files" or "file extensions" in Windows ? Was there a survey to make "auto-updates" a "default" among these geeks ? It's quite obvious from what I remember of that time that even then, "Windows patches" were feared like the plague, but it got into the "mainstream Windows management" anyways.

But definitively, there is a world's difference between "PC (personal computer)" and "Office Workstations", so I made that distinction in my question. :D

Germanicus likes this.
  14. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

Yes I saw that. I gave you my reason as to why I still do it today. My wife loves to shop online. Were on a local wifi as our broadband is not a hard wire. Our daughter is here too. So three people surfing on home computers. If it was just me yes I most likely wouldn't run with one while just playing the game. But I do enjoy reading other sites while playing and waiting. Sadly today a miss click can send you places you never dreamed.:eek::D

15. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I use an older browser version with some "addons" and honestly I practically never experience these "unfortunate clicks" you mention. I browse while a game is running in the background, I let the other people in the house go where they want on the web, but no install is allowed on any machine without me knowing it, and "downloads" are restricted to "necessary" and with identified sources. That's only a basic set of rules, but from my experience of operating like that for many years without problems, I have to say that I strongly believe that people getting "infected" by viruses might benefit from reading about these a bit more and rely on their "magical solution" a bit less...

I'm tempted to ask what kind of sites you are browsing but I won't... :cool:

Usually, the majority of "forgery" sites and pages/ redirects are detected by browsers, so that makes it hard to believe people get in trouble without any clue of how it happened.

16. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

LOL well a lot are news sites. Sites related to what my book (sifi story I'm writing. Almost 2 years now.) Sites related to writing and english language usage. Got really bad grades when I was in school :eek:)
    Even this site and all the topics on space travel that everyone has been talking about has helped me with my story and then I go off looking up the facts people have been giving.
    Historical sites as time travel is involved. Even talking with other writers who have studied ancient history when some things showed up. Like when farming or bricks was started stuff like that.
    Yes I been in computers long enough to know when not to go there. But I do have a twitchy finger at times and do miss click.:eek:
    :D

Kassonnade likes this.
  17. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Naaaaawww... you're not telling me that these "sites" have problems, but some links posted may redirect you into hell ? Is this the real problem ?

But in any case, we're not much on my original question anymore, right ?

18. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

LOL As I have stated before I have a bad habit of going off topic. But you keep asking. So I will hush up ;)

Kassonnade likes this.
  19. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Not blaming you, my friend. In fact, you often bring in a breath of fresh air in the topics due to your long experience with the "machines". ;)

I'm just trying to illustrate that despites the fact that the game appears to be running quite fine on my "average-to-lower-grade-laptop" some players complain that their system can't run the game at all, and looking at their specs I don't understand. Looking in the bugs threads from time to time, it appears that quite often players are either running the game at resolutions/ settings that are due to impact performance, or they are multi-tasking while Empyrion is running. These are "false" bugs or problems, and quite unfair to criticize the game performance based on that since there could be a zillion possible different contexts at play here.

To make criticism that has some value for the developers, players should focus on the game, or at the very least in comparable contexts where every program running can be monitored. And running an anti-virus + browser + whatever other program on a computer with auto-updates enabled on many programs + the OS + all the Windows cumbersome monitoring/ debugging/ reporting processes is due to yield vastly different results all the time. This is unmanageable for a game developer, and a lot of wasted time to try to pinpoint real problems related to the game itself.

Ephoie likes this.
  20. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

@Kassonnade I try very hard not to compare the game to other games. I tend to compare it to itself. Knowing full well I still have the same things running in the back ground. I don't run the numbers anymore, my mind is elsewhere.
    To compare this game to others to me is just wrong. No two programmers program the same way. A single task can be programmed different ways to achieve the same results. Where one way might add more strain on the task then others. Changing programmers mid way can have a drastic impact.
    2 developers using the same engine doesn't mean you can expect the same results. They might start out the same but in the end the developers may and do go down different paths to what they are trying to do.

Your right when you say they should focus on the game itself. But not everyone in here are the same and have the same knowledge. People will always use what they have experienced in other games. Not because they are trying to cause problems. They really are trying to help.
    Not everyone knows how this stuff is developed they just know hey it was done over here, why can't it be done here.

When you can buy a computer without even knowing how it works inside you expect it to handle the same in the games you play. Some of these people have never been a alpha or beta tester in their life.
    It's up to the old timers to help these people understand what they have gotten themselves into.:)
    It a nice way of course:)

Ephoie and Kassonnade like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.