Alpha 11 Observations

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Zafaron, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Zafaron

Zafaron Lieutenant

I've been playing with Alpha 11 and the new flight model stuff recently. One of the first things that jumped out at me was the CPU cost for bases. Container extensions are especially bad, but the turrets too. A very small level 1 base with only 3 turrets, 5 constructors and 20 container extensions was at almost 150k CPU usage. I guess the Empyrion humans can make snap together spaceships, but they're still using a CPU from 1980 :p

I very much like the new HUDs. I had been looking forward to some kind of artificial horizon for a long time. Now if we can get an actual radar at some point...

The masses for items become problematic when trying to move them out of POIs. My HV barely crawl when they are loaded down. I do like it in a way, but perhaps a different class of thruster/engine that's low speed but high power for hauling heavy loads? Or maybe it's something I've still got to play around with a bit to get the best configuration. Worst case scenario I can make some waypoint wireless cargo HV and daisy chain them together to send stuff back to a CV (would be a cool thing to be able to automate something like that).

I don't know if it's possible, but it would be nice if there was a way to unsubscribe from a workshop mod from in the game. Or at least queue it to unsubscribe when you quit the game next.

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  2. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

That's your problem right there.
    You'll never need 5 constructors and each one of them is 20k+ CPU each. At most you'll need two: 1 small and 1 large/adv.

3. [TKC]olT3lo

[TKC]olT3lo Lieutenant

This.

My clans complaint about CPU currently is that each block costs CPU. We're building a base in a mountain so it's big, the CPU is crazy because of all the blocks. I would like the system adjusted to not count building blocks, or have the cost greatly lowered. If we had CPU turned on, it would be affecting the way we want to play in a negative way.

4. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

How do you know how many constructors he needs?

It is a game that no one needs to play.

No one needs to play because playing the game is not a basic requirement of survival.

and to the game please remember the game calls lots of things constructors in the CPU list (or did the last time I looked) I have 4 constructors 1 small 1 large 2 advanced, 1 is for public use, but it says I have 7 so I assume that is the furnace, deconstructor, and the food processor, being counted.

so five is not unreasonable

(edit) I just logged in and confirmed that my base is credited with 7 constructors as I described.
    Yes I will need to modify this base to have any reasonable chance of building it if I get to that point not putting the effort in now as i am not sure of any future play

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  5. Grimwar

Grimwar Ensign

Lol my ammunition factory runs with 5 constructors and that is literally all it does. it has 2 smalls to make prometheum pellets and magnesium powder, an advanced to make erestrum gel and elemental pentaxid then an advanced and a large to make the actual ammo. once that is all cued up I need to go to another building for any other construction I want to do.
    I run mulicore modular bases for the 100% solar power because I am cheap.

6. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

And that right there is base specialization. Good on ya.
    Though considering how fast you can make ammunition and how fast you go through it, i'm not sure how you'd need an entire factory dedicated to it unless your base is under constant attack. But you've made it work.

7. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

Have you ever been in a 6 hour 3-5 vs 3-5 SV/HV PVP battle? that is not enough production for even the first hour. Lots of different games are played with EGS as the backbone.

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

PvP servers will be set up to optimize PvP play.

9. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

CPU and core limits are going to be a challenge.

10. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I would assume PvP servers would disable the CPU system.

11. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

It is very funny how people complain about the new CPU system and ignore on purpose in order to support their falls arguiments ,the fact that they can switch it off. It is like they want to sleep in their bedroom with the light on and they refuse to just extend their hand and switch light off and instead they complain about the light. Funny and amusing because they do it on purpose.

12. [TKC]olT3lo

[TKC]olT3lo Lieutenant

Not sure he is telling him how to play, but the OP was complaining about CPU and he pointed out that he is running high because he has 5 constructors.

13. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I think part of it is because they personally don't want the feature, they think that means nobody else wants it either. They don't want developer time spent on a feature they don't like.

Another part of it is legitimate criticism of how CPU was implemented. It does have its flaws, but they can be fixed.

14. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Singleplayer things huh?
    Just for ammunition-production for a single base i need at least 8 constructors when i don't want to wait on that playfield for the whole day.
    To give you some numbers:
    A standart defense base needs the following ammount of shots for 1 hour of continious fire:
    ~60.000 30mm
    ~23.000 Laser
    ~2.500 Plasma
    ~23.000 Flak
    ~4.800 155mm rockets
    ~300 artillery shots

So when 1 click on 30mm ammo 70 shots get produced, 60.000 30mm shots are done by 858 standart clicks. (In game you use the shift+left mouse or ctrl+left mouse to reach that number). All over all we end with 3285 standart clicks for just one Base with the minimum of ammunition.
    I hope this gives you an idea of how much ammo we need and how much work that is for the constructors. So 1 or 2 contructors are everything else but enough. we have at least 8 contructors just for our ammo with a shared dedicated rss input and output.

Now you may wanna say something like: "wtf you never need this loads of ammo." But here in this post i uploaded 2 pics of our defense before and after an attack:
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/...ting-your-in-game-property.91582/#post-378881

Ski and dazkaz like this.
  15. dazkaz

dazkaz Lieutenant

I can't see the point in activating CPU for a base.
    I understand and like it for CV, HV, SV, but not for a base. What is the point?
    To force specialization so we have to build more base in the same area, like a village?
    I use a lot of constructors in my base, especially for ammo production.
    Having lots of constructors is a quality of life item, that stops you having to wait around unnecessarily.
    If the aim to get rid of quality of life items, I'm not sure that is a good thing?

16. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

on HSW you are limited in the size of your village

17. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Defending your base against what? HV or SV? Did you include their CPU constraints? Those super-fast, shielded, armored PvP ships covered in guns that your opponents can't field anymore?
    Of course not, because like Stanley, you're only thinking about it from your side of things comparing how things are now vs how they were as if suddenly your bases and ships will be impacted by CPU and your opponents won't be.
    You'll be up against Tier 1 and 2 ships and they won't be shielded, they can't be shielded and will have less armor, less weapons or move slower. The number of T3 and T4 your enemy can field is limited to 1 or 2 total since they can't mass-produce T3-4 Extenders.
    Not that it matters, since the materials to supply the ammunition count require heavy server customizations which if it's a PvP server will do the same for CPU (which will probably be off) or the craft speed/cost of ammunition.

Of course, this whole thing started from the OP trying to fit 5 constructors on a tier 1 base, not a PvP base, just a starter base. He's not supplying ammo to theoretical PvP battlefront, he's made his first base and has wildly unrealistic ideas as to what "starter" involves.

Ravis, Sofianinho and Germanicus like this.
  18. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

our faction has concluded that no battles will be initiated until we can field sufficient CPU tier4 ships. Full stop.

there are indications that on HWS all required components will be craftable, available through missions, and part of the daily login bonus. Getting to the point of being to field sufficient tier4 CPU ships may take longer than it took to get fight ready ships in the past but i am convinced no fights will happen at CPU tier 1 or 2 and not much at CPU tier 3. We will know soon enough as the new season starts on HWS on DEC 18 or 19 if current plans do not change.

19. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

1nd we are defending vs HV and SV (obviously) and in space obviously vs CV. [Honestly i don't understand why you asked that question i mean have you seen the pictures in my other linked post?]
    2nd well for the CPU restrictions:
    a) Our defense and that of others won't change if forced to we will build more smaller bases.
    b) so the defense won't change but the attackers (also us) will suffer under the CPU way harder which leads me to:
    3rd the actual CPU system sucks and i (among others) pointed that already out. As example here my personal argumentation and here an example of mine.
    last but not least
    4th changing quotes can be fun but shouldn't be done ;)

stanley bourdon likes this.
  20. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

This is a more interesting discussion on the CPU thingy.