Alpha 12.3 Public Release

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hummel-o-War, Jul 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Just because we can use such large numbers doesn't always mean we should. If in their minds at the start they felt they needed to keep the footprint down in size. For all we know it's a left over that was just a test to see if they could do what they wanted to do.
    Maybe the person who set the numbers that way, has long gone and the other programmers didn't know it had only been a test and built on it. Never knowing until later that it was so limited. Now it would need a whole rewrite.

If they are using a package system as you say then it's something they will need to start from scratch with.

Who knows why the limits are there. With a database being added to the game why wasn't this problem integrated with the database.
    There is more then one limit self imposed in the game. A programmer can overcome any limit if given enough time.

Do I expect an answer? Not really. I tend to think. They know the problem and have known for a very long time. Why go into detail why it was done. At some point the programmers will find a solution to the problem. I think the Dev's want more ID's just as much as anyone else. I'm not going to waste their time asking "Are we there yet?":D

dichebach and Kassonnade like this.
  2. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I noticed that as well.
    Bug?

20200723161318_1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Travis9x likes this.
  3. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Yes - I noticed that too - this might have been one of the updated and broken entries I found when merging in to EE mod - cant remember now.

4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Well it seems to be the standard way that Unity packs resources when building the game. I guess they now have to migrate from this initial system to the database you just mentioned.

We can see the size of some "packs" in the "Content\Bundles" folder, going up to over 1gb.

But for the specific ID issue, it could be related to using Unity's built-in serialization method. I have read some little horror tales related to this that look very similar to many recurrent bugs/ glitches/ crashes described by players for a long time.

------------------------------

https://starloopstudios.com/unity-asset-management/

Assets that are stored within any folder called Resources, inside the Assets folder of your Project, will be packaged inside the Unity Player when you make a build, similar to the Assets with Objects that are referenced within your built-in Scenes added in Build Settings.

These Objects can be loaded with the Resources API provided by Unity.

With that said, it is better to avoid using this system. Here are a couple of points to take into account when using the Resources folders:

• Using Resources makes it harder to micro-manage memory footprint at runtime.
    • Improper use of these folders will dramatically increase application start-up time and build sizes.
    • It degrades the Projects ability to deliver custom content to specific platforms and eliminates the possibility of incrementing content upgrades such as DLCs
    When is it ok to use the Resources folder?
    • For fast prototyping, where optimizing is not the main focus.
    • For non-memory intensive assets that will be required throughout the lifetime of an application during run-time.
    --------------------------------

Travis9x likes this.
  5. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

That doesn't bode well for future development or moddabilty

6. chrisrockolee

chrisrockolee Ensign

WOW! drills for SV
    gonna be a big boom in Creation Club

7. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Commander

I'm 70% hopeful some of these turret fixes ended Spin2Win (turrets utterly confounded by a rolling ship).

The remaining 30% no longer cares about engaging military POIs directly and has moved on to BA artillery firebases as a better solution.

8. mark117h

mark117h Ensign

I like what i am reading regarding this last 12x update before the 5th August Anniversary update.
    Gonna do a restart just to see some of the changes like the New Warp Screen, and many of the fixes that have been done.
    Congratulations Eleon - Look forwards to more information & Updates over the next few coming weeks\years.

Sofianinho likes this.
  9. nour

nour Ensign

Should we start a new save/new game?

10. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

That is up to you. New games will get all the new content, while existing save games will only get some.

Germanicus likes this.
  12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I really think for the long term development of the game finding a way to increase the ID limit is probably pretty important. Not even thinking about mods, but just new default content.

However, it's been said it's a low priority for them right now and it's probably not something that's easy to do.

SacredGlade likes this.
  13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Well first they want to migrate from Unity's janky data streaming/packing system to a more manageable database system, which is obvious for performance reasons. Then if they want more IDs or just simply use another system then they have to go through all content (gameobjects, scripts) and substitude these IDs for their new idea... IDs... ideas... oooh...

If they used assets from the store, this is also another problem as they are managed by Unity's asset manager, which may not be the best way to keep control on everything. They have to replace many, some of these can be complex scripts (like a UI designer for example) and others simple models, before adding new things. It would be counter-productive to add stuff on the old framework if they are changing it...

Travis9x and dichebach like this.
  14. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I've spent some time using @Vermillion's Reforged settings - specifically in Reforged Eden - and one of the features he reinstated from prior game versions was the "Well Fed" buff. It's amazing how USEFUL this is, especially early-game when you've taken a little damage but meds are in short supply. Any chance of seeing this make a vanilla return?

I had hoped that the various buffed state would be something that'd be built upon further, but it just vanished and I've no recollection of it being in any way poorly received. Further buffs such as Hot Beverages giving a more long-term warmth bonus - along with any hot meals - or enhancing the cooling effects of water etc. would be a really welcome addition to the core survival element. The effects of such buffs can seem quite subtle at first, but actually have a fairly significant beneficial effect on the early-game when the player is perhaps not as geared up as they are later on.

May I ask why the likes of "Well Fed" was removed? It's evidently still there to be activated via config changes - which is cool - but it seems an option that could be default with no obvious downsides.

Scoob.

15. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

It had a bug with how it was written, where the status effect would be removed and reapplied when hit as the buff and debuff conditions overlapped. Too complicated. Simple is good.

krazzykid2006 likes this.
  16. TK85

TK85 Captain

Does the question of no more free id numbers mean that you can't add more animals, trees or new NPCs? For example, you can't have new NPC models for a faction, or add a bear to the game's fauna ... things like that.

For those who are not programmers, this is kind of confusing.

17. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

The key thing is : no more IDs for the time being. I can't tell for "scripts" as these are also considered to require some identifier by the game to be managed, but since their answer was regarding "blocks" I would say that these "objects additions" are on hold for now, until they migrate from the "old identifier system for objects" to a new one, if it is what they are trying to do.

If it's not, then there may be other solutions to get "new content" to avoid filling the Galaxy with the same buildings and plants. For animals, this requires animations, and we know this requires an animator (or a store package) and they wrote that they only have modelers for now.

TK85 likes this.
  18. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Sorry for the redundancy, but I'm sure everyone is confused.

Another answer we're all accustomed to now : maybe, maybe not, it's possible but not a priority right now, maybe some day in the future, if everything goes well, if we have time, it's on the list, we're looking at it, we read your stuff, you have been heard, we listen to you, etc.

You don't understand ? Ok. Let me clarify things: we listen to you, if everything goes well, maybe some day in the future, it's possible but not a priority right now, maybe, maybe not, it's on the list, you have been heard, etc. ;)

19. Bollen

Bollen Captain

So.... The new ladders (are they new?), you can't really climb them now can you...?

20. tachyon

tachyon Commander

I don’t get it with the Id . Isn’t this just a number? Did they pick the wrong integer type for this? Even with a 32 bit signed type this would be loads of IDs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.