Alpha 12 - Detection & Scanning

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 15, 2020.

?

Like the feature? Give a Thumbs Up!

1. Thumbs up!

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Many thumbs up!

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    DETECTION
    • Changed passive detection to active scanning detection via device
    • Added: Detector handheld, CV
    • Updated: Detector HV and SV now working as active scanning devices
    • Added: Auto-detection range 12% of maximum scanning range (handheld 24% = ~300m)
    • Detection ranges are different for space and on planets
    • Map distance on POI reduces detection range (override)
    • Drones in space and on planets now use the old HUD marker system and thus be scanned
    • Backpack is now always visible on HUD and on map if the player is in range

Ambaire likes this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    -tba-

3. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

THE best feature of A12 is the detector. With it's current range it is an opulent deluge of information constantly pouring in for you to consider and think about.

Well done Eleon! Well done.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

No plus with out minuses...at least if listen to certain Streamers...quote:" as great as it is to know the location of all stuff...you lose the moment to actual search and find stuff...therefore not such a good invention" end quote.

I like the Detector very much, downside is, especially if you play PE, you get swamped by an explosion of detected "elements" floating in space;):rolleyes:

5. Foofaspoon

Foofaspoon Commander

This makes things SOOOOoooo much better in exploring. far less frustrating trailing round the place chasing red bars on the radar which often seemed not entirely accurate. Can't for the life of me understand why anyone would complain about this feature (though can understand discussions around what the ideal range is).

6. wayblack

wayblack Ensign

Hate the fact that detected POI's are removed after a short while, great to have a range of detectors but cant we select what POI's remain I find this very frustrating!! I don't know any Nav system you cant select your POI's to display , this part would have my many thumbs DOWN if I could select that is..!!

7. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

This feature avoids cluttering on the HUD of the player. A work around is to place by hand bookmarks. I believe detector should have an "detection persistent filter" ( I just name it like that), which will filter those detected elements that the player would like to always have on the HUD. For example when trying to find resource deposits. It is doable but might complicate things for some players i.e. deposits can be found close to POIs etc. Solution for this could be, the persistent filter allowed per faction etc, maybe allow multiple like Zirax and deposits. Of course there should be a configuration to allow the player do the choice.

Germanicus likes this.
  8. Bob [OG]

Bob [OG] Commander

First off, biased based voting does not give any relevant data.

The scanner is a great idea but has fallen short in implementation. If my suspicions are correct, it is a major server resource drain to scan and display the information. This is what I am assuming the cool down is for. I do like the idea of knowing where to search instead of blindly scouting in a time wasting grid search. I just feel sector scans should be done on the map screens to pop up markers that can be manually marked on the HUD. None of the science fiction movies or TV shows have a scanner that puts up markers like this. The engine seems to have difficulty in multiplayer scenarios with multiple people pounding the scan button.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    johnietoth1967 likes this.
  9. Monroe

Monroe Commander

This is one of my favorite new features. We begged for radar in orbit and we got it. Thank You Eleon!

The HUD is too cluttered now though. If there was a way to keep this implemented as-is, but reduce the clutter, that would be perfect.

How about,- instead of all the distance and faction info, we just get colored dots? We know the faction from the color of the dot. And the opacity of the dot could give us a range estimate. Then check your map if you want more info. How does that sound? Perhaps there could be a "Deep Scan" vs. "Surface Scan" option? Also, can we adjust the opacity of the flight-model HUD elements? It's such a beautiful game, it's a shame to have it obscured by HUD elements.

upload_2020-7-2_11-42-58.png

10. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

Before this detector change: I could set a SV to auto move while do a round of a planet/moon, to discover stuff, did not need to touch a key or mouse for a while.

Negative/Cons:
    Now have to ping all the time and get close to remember, if at all. Or put down a markers, that can mess up the HUD and minimap/radar. Also the red indication tracker seems to not work always. (Yeah, know there are apps for key repeat and such). Take up space on the device bar (that lack some functions).

Maybe have T2 version that have auto ping and longer range for "remember detected stuff".

Positive (Pros) is the range. CV have one. HV have reduced size of the device (to 1x1x1).

Ambaire likes this.
  11. Bob [OG]

Bob [OG] Commander

i honestly don't like how the scanner actually works now. it shouldn't be popping everything on the godam HUD like the shiny mess it currently is. the range is fine, it needs to be in the local map only and then markers can be manually waypointed on the HUD. i feel a CV should be able to scan an entire sector but only if it is stationary. range should be limited a lot while in motion. this should help appease both the hunters and prey. SV having the same idea. i also don't really feel the scanning distance of the SV should differ that much from a CV. at least not nearly as vast as it currently is.

12. IMtz

IMtz Lieutenant

I like the new scanner because makes exploration less cumbersome, but I think the detector requires an off button like many other devices of the game. The reason is the new detector consumes 320 pu of energy on capital vessels, and not always is required.

13. Addy

Addy Lieutenant

Scanners are cool, so much info on the screen so you can't see any anything is not cool, can't you make it so you can turn off types of contact so you show only bases or only resources, that would be kool :)

14. fastjack99

fastjack99 Ensign

Thumps down.