Alpha 12 Experimental - Phase III

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hummel-o-War, May 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Hi Galactic Survivalists!

Welcome to week 3 of Alpha 12 Experimental.

For all those waiting to get hands on the dedicated server files: With phase 3 we made good progress in terms of performance and functions of the database and in fixing issues related to the server files. That being said, although the changes now have to be tested with your help in the current update, we are quite confident that next week's phase 4 will have the server files included eventually! :)

Please also note, there are a few more adjustments to be made for phase 4, which will result in a savegame break for your current, running savegames - which will also result in a full wipe of our Experimental Server.

Although this might be a bit inconvenient, but as you know: only new games, started with each phase will have all the changes on playfields, POIs and missions - as these game elements, unlike config changes, do not get updated in a running savegame.

A12-EXP_phase3_TitanOffWorldGrave_2.png
    [ New mission: Offworld Grave ]

As usual:
    While the Phase 3 lasts, we will continue to update the following post with the latest Experimental version changelogs for hotfixes and intermediate patches: https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-experimental-updates-and-hotfixes.92687/

For discussing the new and updated features, please head over to the pinned threads in our Experimental Feedback forum: https://empyriononline.com/forums/experimental-features-discussion.35/

= CHANGELOG =

REGISTRY
    • Added toggle button groups for private, faction, others to filter results
    FACTIONS
    • Traders Guild is now an intractable faction (you can change your standing up and down now)
    • Updated Reputation actions for Traders Guild
    • Adjusted reputation points of other factions (reduced/adapted gains and losses; please check ingame NPC faction screen)
    MISSIONS / DIALOGUE
    • Added / Full rework: Human Remains Solo Mission (WiP, Test Ready!)
    • Added: Offworld Grave as follow up to HR (WiP, Test Ready!)
    • NPC dialogue system: added function DeltaTimeToString()
    • DialogSystem: added control element "@d<n>" to set typewriter effect speed for current page, use "@d0" to show remaining text immediately
    • Updates/ fixes on Talon/Polaris/Zirax quest missions ( Approaching targets should now work again)
    POI and PLAYFIELDS
    • Added Polaris Shuttle T1 ( PV )
    • Added OPV Corvettes for Pirates ( Original creators: urialia & Sulusdacor)(Note: Space Base Defense not yet set up)
    • Added new settlements for Polaris ( now following the "Polaris Style") + swapped all Polaris-held CivilSettlements on all playfields to new design group
    • Re-added Civil Settlements (remaining POI) to playfields
    • Added new water-floating settlements for Polaris on Ocean playfield (incl. Defenses!)
    • Added Kriel Defense T1 (by vermillion)
    • Added PV for Zirax (XenuCutter; Not yet added to PV group)
    • Updated Rados Fuel Depot Desert variant
    • Added more POI to Traders Guild faction
    • Added Traders Guild to more planets
      Now available at: Temperate, TemperateSwamp, Desert, Arid, Snow, Ocean, MoonDesert, MoonForest
    • Added more 'other' factions to galactic faction territories (Check \Content\Configuration\GalaxyConfig.ecf for details)
    • Added Kriel Empire to all planetary playfields (They only spawn their POI in their galactic territory, though)
    • Added Pirates to all Planets and Moons
      Main bases are often found on desert and forest moons; Ambush POI are most on the lush planets but also spread a lot; Waystations are seen on places where the Pirates only want keep up a presence for whatever undisclosed reason.
    • Removed mapdistance/huddistance from all playfields (where not necessary) as it breaks scanning mechanic and is not necessary anymore (except you want to really hide a POI from the scanners)
    • Added Crashed Legacy Infector to AlienLegacy playfield
    Thanks to all builders and contributors! :)

GAME WORLD TECH
    • Extended space playfield area also in SP from +/-50k to +/-100k. Only outside this area, the warning message will appear
    • Supporting "Main" as a faction in playfield yamls to take the faction from the territory ( 'Faction: Main' ). If no territory then this POI will be left out
    BALANCING / CRAFTING
    • Armored Windows S now made from TitanPlates instead of Hardened Steel (Sathium)
    • Reduced output of Fiber (40>30) and WoodPlanks (60>50)
    • Fridge (HV and SV) now available in Portable Constructor
    • Reduced PowerBar Food points to 45
    • Reduced CPU on Generators ( related to reduced power output and other changed parameters )
    • Reduced CPU on Harvester (HV)
    • Ground repulsor engine for HV : torque decrease from 10 -> 5
    • CV Projectile Turrets can now be crafted in Large Constructor as well
    OTHER
    • Updated Armor Locker model for BA and CV as a preview test
    • Detectors can now also be fired underwater
    • Changed submarine-style scanner ping to a more sci-fi variant
    • Time in character window is now shown in "game time played" and not in "real time" as it was before
    DATABASE & TECH
    • DB: optimized query for getting medic station on player death, added info what BP got spawned
    • DB: writing now player inventory on every player data save. added possibility to execute multiple update queries with one call
    • DB: Added deadticks and isdead to Entities
    • DB: added entity death timestamp, added bool if structure was spawned from BP library
    • The structure .txt files are not written into the Shared folder any more. Instead of that, we put this information into the DB table StructuresHistory
    • Relaxed timing for threads
    • Set Animator component to "AlwaysCull" on a lot of turret/weapon animations to improve performance (a bit)
    • Optimized Animator component on doors and retractable weapons to not be active when not needed
    • Stripped down some dedi unity prefabs for better performance of playfield server: CockpitSS04Prefab_dedi, VentilatorEdgeRoundMediumHalfPrefab_dedi, PassengerSeatSVPrefab_dedi, TurretMSCannonRetractPrefab_dedi, TurretMSMinigunPrefab_dedi, WeaponSSMinigunRetractPrefab_dedi, FuelTankSVSmallPrefab_dedi
    • Optimization from pf server profiling: mapped SphereCast to Raycast for all none player checks for "which structure we are on".
    • Added automatic VC Redistributable installation to fix missing dll dependencies problems
    MOD API
    • ModApi.IPlayfield: added SolarSystemName and SolarSystemCoordinates
    • ModApi.IBlock: Implemented Get/SetTextures, added SetTextureForWholeBlock, added equivalent methods for colors

= BUGFIXES =

• Fixed: Waypoints from space mirroring to the ship on the planet
    • Fixed: HUD markers do not show the shortest direction on a planet
    • Fixed: Wrong fps logging of playfield servers
    • Fixed: NPC dialogue arrow showing too high on HolographicAIConsole
    • Fixed: NPC dialogue system > fixed bug that when using OptionIf the wrong index was chosen if options were "thinned out"
    • Fixed: HV > unexpected oscillation with very light HV
    • Fixed: Polaris floating POIs
    • Fixed: HV ground repulsor engine switching back on unexpectedly when switched off in control panel bug
    • Fix for not possible to spawn blueprints in some orbit playfields (2nd try)
    • Fixed retractable weapons and hangar doors in MP
    • Fixed: Registry > fixed exception when a bookmark was corrupt
    • Fixed: Registry > corrected bug that when in faction private stuff was not displayed reliable
    • Fixed: Player window > fix for "day X" not displaying game time in days correctly (game time is roughly real time * 6)
    • Fixed: Devices morphing onto docked vessels
      Merged-Melted-Blocks.png
    • Fixed: CoQ regression if starting a new game and opening character window
    • Fixed: PDA > On re-log chapter-activation done even for active and repeat-waiting chapters and for not / no longer repeatable chapters
    • Fixed: PDA > fixed exception when starting a Creative game
    • Fixed Totally Overpowered intro (Finding TOP Manager on Akua Orbit)
    • Fixed: Serdu Monastery sunk into ground (plz retest)
    • Fixed: NPC blocks showing only T-Pose
    • Fixed: Remove Seed from Game Start > CoQ
    • Fixed: Nothing is shown on devices for Energy in or out when the Italian [or Spanish] language is being used
    • Fixed: Ship cruise mode UI pin indicator not moving bug -> fixed
    • Fixed: [Possible fix for] Radial menu can become frozen when using "Back" whilst a device window is open

Attached Files:

AlbaN, Atomino, Ephoie and 17 others like this.
  2. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

I think titanium would also fit into T2 thrusters.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Cluascorp

Cluascorp Commander

Good work :D

4. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Well this was an interesting start for me. Updated the game then started it. It told me it was preforming first time startup. Installing: M (1 of 1). This took some time, wasn't timing it then my whole laptop restarted. Once my system had completely restarted I tried restarting the game again.

Once again it did the Preforming first time startup. Installing: M (1 of 1) and I waited about the same amount of time.

This time the game did start. I started a new swamp game. Everything seemed to be fine, only different is the time it took the gamely to start, it felt longer to me then what phase 2 did.

I will test more tomorrow when I'm more awake.

5. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I just had a weird issue while flying my SV. I'd just buzzed a POI, pinging in within 300 metres to reveal it (Oxygen Depot IIRC) and was travelling away at 70 m/s. I was in external view, nicely zoomed out, at the time, so I could see quite clearly all around me. The turrets of the POI did not seem to react to my presence - fairly normal when you buzz them at speed - and I was about 500 metres away (and 300 metres up) when, suddenly, I was sniped out of my enclosed cockpit. There were then a load of explosions as something hit my SV repeatedly. However, there were no projectiles rendered at all.

I'm hoping this was just a weird fluke, just about to reload and see if it occurs again. Anyone else seen this? The notable points are: Killed while in the cockpit - cockpit was intact, and hit by something I could not see. Additionally, now I think of it, it's doubly odd as the entirety of the SV was behind me so the invisible shots, assuming they did come from that POI, travelled right through my SV to reach the cockpit.

Edit: One more unrelated thing, I assume it's known that the Sensor "ping" does not reveals things the other side of the map join?

Scoob.

6. Zerion

Zerion Ensign

This happened to me too. Update, start game, got to that Installing M (1 of 1) and I can see Windows restarting. I thought something went horribly wrong with the update because I don't remember seeing something like that happening with any other game. After the restart everything went fine though.

Weird thing about the starting time. I've barely played since the update but I noticed it takes much less time from start to main menu. I appreciate that. Save loading takes still a lot of time already on my computer the first time I load the save after starting the game but I can live with that (maybe I should move the game to one of my SSDs).

7. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Were looking at it as to why

8. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Fresh Start, Saw the same as @RazzleWin with the strange "First Time Startup". No other things happened. Started game.
    Noticed a new strange sounding Detector-"Ping" (which sounds more like a buzzingo_O) and after about 30 min in the Game, a swift Exploration Tour on the repaired Hover Bike, including "cleaning" a Unknown Structure from Horrors, I went back to the Large Wreckage and wanted to grab some Herbs...-->

EXP1232890_2020-05-06_16-33-32.png

Here I saved and logged out for a Break.:)

runlykhel and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  9. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

That is odd. I just updated and played, all seemed fine.

Note: my exact sequence of events is:

1) Enable my Internet Connection
    2) Launch Steam, select Online Mode
    3) Force the Game update - it was set to auto-update Monday for some reason, most of my stuff does that
    4) One done, set Steam of Offline Mode
    5) Disable my Internet connection
    6) Launch game.

Just in case there's any relevance to any of that lol.

As an aside, I've been seeing those holes in the landscape since A12 was available, very rare though. Saw a few during Phase I, none in Phase II (despite LOTS of exploring of planets) and none in Phase III yet, though I've only been playing for a short while.

Scoob.

Tyrax Lightning and Germanicus like this.
  10. The Salty Snake Chef

Can't wait to play. Hope you guys keep up the good work!

Tyrax Lightning and Myrmidon like this.
  11. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

@Scoob If you have watched the last Stream Q&A of @spanj you will see in the last 30 min - he started a SP/Survival game - that he dropped 3 times into the same Whole. (3:06:44) - and Yes, its around quite some time now.....A9X I believe...several times reported.

12. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yes, I had seen that thanks :) I never managed to quite figure out if there was a specific player action that triggered it though. It seemed to be gone after Phase II for me, but then I've perhaps not re-visited all the exact same places it occurred originally... I think it was around the starting area for me, though I did not settle there.

Scoob.

13. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Prob the reason why your PC Restarted. It installed KB4528760.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4528760/windows-10-update-kb4528760

We got several reports about missing a DLL. Players couldnt play SP

Since EXP 3 we added a check to solve this issue > if check fails it installs > x64: vc_redist.x64.exe

https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

this prob triggered KB4528760 and caused a reboot.

Were looking at it if this is indeed the issue and how to solve it

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  14. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Wow! Great!:D

Well, seems My Win 8.1 did have it all and so the Computer did not restart;)

15. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I laughed so loud when I red this....You see I am playing in Linux with Proton 5.0.7 and runs so smooth that I forget I am on Linux....

As for the new Hi Tech detector sound, no offence but I think it [email protected] I did a little search myself and I found in less than 10 minutes hearing samples here and there. Something similar to this heavy sound would be wonderful I think....Whoever is interested to listen just open the spoiler bellow.

If anyone thinks it might be too long I would suggest imagine the playback duration should be aligned to the detector recharge as well.

16. Kosmic Kerman

Kosmic Kerman Commander

So what's the deal with the balancing of SV thrusters. Looking at the thrust vs mass ratio for the various types of thrusters there doesn't seem to be a great reason to use the T2 versions or the Jet engines. I see that there is some CPU advantage to using the T2s or Jet Engines but that difference only seems useful at the margins. Why is there such a large mass penalty for using the T2s and Jet Engines?

17. Mobius

Mobius Captain

Ahh, this breaks my heart :(

I spent about 4-5 hours crafting this sound. Most of Empyrion's sounds so far are library-based right now, so I wanted to craft something that was hand-made for the game.

Let me address the approach as to why I didn't use a long or heavy sound (The sound you posted). There are ultimately 2 reasons.

1.) The detector is a relatively small device compared to other devices. Additionally it is something the player is going to be using constantly. If I were to use a heavy/long sound like the one you posted, it would "audio fatigue" the player after a few times and be a bit annoying to use in my oppinion. The spool up time in the one above is far too long for something that would be used so often.

2.) A lighter and less intrusive sound for a device that gets used often will give way for sounds that are meant to be stronger and more emboldened.

I'm sorry that you think the sound sucks. I was really looking forward to people getting something better than the submarine ping, and wanted to spend a lot of time crafting something that was non-intrusive, but still present. I think sounds similar to what you posted have their place on devices that are much more intense in effect, and have less use cases in the game.

18. Mobius

Mobius Captain

Also forgot to add:

Regarding a recharge sound, I think this is a great idea and I am already thinking of what I could do for one. I'm simply awaiting possible changes in how the detector mechanic works. Whether that be upgrades/tiers to enhance efficiency and cooldown time, or other things that would affect how the sound plays.

19. JusZi

JusZi Ensign

Well, I think that the sound is perfect, does not sound any I can think about. whick is good and fits the game well.

20. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Alas. This was not my intentions. Maybe I was in a haste. Do not get me wrong. Your music for Empyrion are on my favorites and I pleasantly hear the tracks often, even if I am not playing the game.

Screenshot from 2020-05-06 21-20-10.png

Truth to be told, you are a professional artist and I am just audience. This and both the reasons you described, give the real perspective of the creation of your sound effect. Also I would like to add that, of course my ear was accustomed to the familiar, even sometimes boring "submarine sonar ping" sound used until the latest version. Therefore in reality some your job does not suck at all. You know better and you did it right. So please do not feel bad. My words were written in a point of view and in haste, and by the early impression i got. Give me time to like it.

Strange though I loved the music tracks right away. Maybe I am not qualified as audience to judge effects....or I watch too many movies (I do actually). I compare different things. If impossible to ignore my previous statement, at least use it for future development as clue on how to improve your work, wherever and whenever you think it is needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.