Alpha 12 Experimental - Phase IV

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hummel-o-War, May 22, 2020.

1. Demonic

Demonic Captain

Yeah. It annoys me really, because then the ship of the same mass has different max speed in different max directions, depending on the power of the thrusters in given direction... IN SPACE! Gah...

2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

In some earlier notes, perhaps in the A12 Preview threads, they did mention they were reducing the effect. Something along the lines of Mass from cargo will only slow you by half as much as originally. This is a step in the right direction, and vessels (especially HV / SV) are FAR more manageable in a "Hauler" type role than they were, though it's still not ideal.

Needing extra thrust just to be able to reach top speed, not acceleration, seems a little silly - unless it was a drag thing, which it's not - the ship's aerodynamic profile doesn't change, loaded or not. Plus it also has some weird quirks. For example, my SV, which is actually a fairly decent hauler with good downward thrust and the same rear thrust - so it goes up and forwards well - exhibits a very specific issue. If I'm going along forwards, at full speed (~70ms), and pull up slightly it basically stalls all momentum. I've noticed something similar with my HV's. If I catch a little "air" and the nose goes up beyond about 30 degrees, it'll stall, lose 90% of its forward momentum, and fall. It can be a subtle quirk, but very noticeable when you fly / drive a certain vessel for a while.

While things are better win A12 when it comes to Cargo weight - which was my main issue - it does still become frustrating to have a vessel that can easily lift a heavy load, but has its speed severely nerfed. The flip side is that any vessel that's over-engineered in an attempt to negate the mass limiting top speed issue, results in a CRAZILY twitchy craft when not loaded. This in turn forces use of the new settings to tone down this responsiveness, to then only drag the sliders all the way up again when loaded.

I still really don't get what the devs are trying to achieve here with Cargo impacting top speed. I felt it was sufficient that acceleration was (realistically) limited due to cargo mass. My vessels should still be able to do their top speeds fully loaded, but take a lot longer to get there. That really was "punishment" enough for carrying a load of stuff, limiting top speed too is just extra severe on the player and becomes a real drag (but not an aerodynamic one) when simply moving stuff around.

I like scavenging wrecks - lots of heavy stuff in those - and I'm sure everyone uses a vessel to help with mining from time to time, and not just in the form of a dedicated HV Miner, but rather just as linked storage for manual mining. I do hope this gets looked into further. I do seem to recall that perhaps there was some technical issue here regarding how various things tie together, but I don't know the details of course.

Scoob.

3. [BB]Drifter

[BB]Drifter Commander

Could you please add an actual command? So I assume teleport star name here planet name

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

They did give you the actual command already. Two of them actually,
    sector 'star name'
    sector 'planet name'

The teleport command can only be used within your current star system in A12 now. You have to use the sector command now otherwise.
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-experimental-phase-i.92660/

Tyrax Lightning and [BB]Drifter like this.
  5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

That is the command. :D

Sector 'star name' will teleport you to the star itself.
    Sector 'planet name' will teleport you to the orbit of a planet, or to a space station or asteroid field.

These commands can be used anywhere.

Tyrax Lightning and [BB]Drifter like this.
  6. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

They couldn't leave in harvesting hydrogen (directly) from water, so I wouldn't get too hopeful..

This is the only reason I turn mass/volume off. It's not even just silly, as @Scoob said... their calculations to limit speed have got to be more complicated than a=f/m

7. CaptRiker

CaptRiker Commander

oh AND PLZ PLZ PLZ put a checkbox on the left in the MP server list and let us DELETE from our history.. the delete should also remove all of the files associated with that server.. let us keep our installs smaller!!

Tyrax Lightning and Miamato like this.
  8. Welderold

Welderold Lieutenant

"Smelter" I watched later (GodMode) and there were 2 zirax soldiers there.

9. Proof_89

Proof_89 Ensign

Hi. Maybe this was asked before: do we have a release date for the stable version?
    Thanks!

10. TK85

TK85 Captain

Has anyone else been receiving, since yesterday, 05/24, an error message when starting the game?
    Message C&Q. It is only to continue that the game runs normally. I sent both emails when the error occurred.

cmguardia and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  11. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I seem to be getting invisible projectiles again. Once again, I was flying on the starter planets Moon - in external view, so I could see all around me - when suddenly there was a huge explosion and I was dead. NOTHING visible around me - no rocket trails or other ordinance - and no POI's nearby other than some CV wrecks. Very weird!

Edit 2: It appears to be some sort of surface POI armed with rockets, except they sometimes don't render. I deliberately got close to it just now, and could clearly see the projectile rendered and fly towards me as I faced it. Can't think why it'd fail to render at times - rockets are REALLY visible when they're flying towards you.

I exited the game to post this and the save has become corrupted. Luckily I have a backup, but it suggests something went rather badly wrong.

Edit: Also, has something changed with the SV flight model? My SV's - which normally handle just fine - are handling more like the Drone handles. I.e. it will randomly exaggerate or suppress mouse inputs. Basically, I can move the mouse and it'll overshoot massively, I'll move the mouse again and it'll barely register my input. Makes targetting nimble targets - such as the Bomber Drone - artificially hard.

Scoob.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    TK85 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  12. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hi,

On another topic... I'm doing the Missions, I don't think it's Robinson Protocol, as I skipped all that. It's part of the missions that get triggered automatically. Though parts of it were originally linked to Robinson.

There's a potentially quite severe show-stopping issue, I'll explain what happened to me...

I'd parked my SV outside a POI, having cleared all Drones. Inside the POI I was required to use a Teleport, which I did, as instructed. I returned through the Teleport after a few minutes as I had lots of loot on me and needed to unload. However, the second I got back my SV was under attack by Drones. So, the Drones travelled to my SV while I was away at another POI. This is of course a show-stopper.

I don't know how far away the POI I teleported to was - it took me to one I'd not discovered - so having my SV effectively blown up while I was away, isn't really great for game play at all. I know some might think this is fair, as I left an undefended SV parked, and I get that. However, that's really not the point when a player - perhaps a new one - has just had their game ended because of it.

To be clear, I teleported back and heard a BOOM instantly, which was my SV already under attack. This means a Drone travelled to my SV and started shooting it, while I was quite some distance away - something I didn't think could happen.

Edit: For the record, my usual approach when parking my SV anywhere is to use the T2 Drill's "Fill" function to build a rock igloo over it. Cheesy perhaps, but it works. I was curious what might occur if I just left my SV exposed - I'd done the same during certain long dialogue sequences in earlier mission. Despite my being able to see Drones wandering around - and getting close - in that earlier mission, they never actually targetted my exposed SV. This is a GOOD thing, protecting the player and their assets while they're stuck in a dialogue. It's just a shame the same isn't true when the player is obliged to leave their SV exposed for an extended period. I did test further, and the game continued to send Drones that appeared near my SV when I teleported back from being away. "Away" seems to be about 4-500 metres away incidentally.

Scoob.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    TK85 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Sorry, I feel like I'm complaining a lot this evening, but it is genuine feedback...

So, what's with the "Crawler" critter? I'm having real problems with these guys this evening, and they're usually trivially easy to kill. A couple of shotgun shots to the face (1 if T2 shotty) or a quick burst of AR/PR fire and they're toast. This evening, I'm seeing a couple of issues:

1) I'm shooting as normal, but they're just not taking damage. I emptied and entire T2 Shotgun clip into one while dodging backward using the Jetpack and the shots just weren't hurting it. Sure, I did some damage, but far far less than a T2 Shot Gun should do at close range, plus often I did ZERO damage. Hit box issue?

2) I was taking damage from these guys, yet they were not doing an attack animation.

3) I was taking damage when they did do an attack animation, but I'd dodged out of range before the blow landed, yet I still took damage. I thought the old "well, you were in-range when I started my attack animation, so I'm still counting that as a hit even though you're 10 metres away now" was sorted a while back. Nightmares used to be terrible for this.

I've not had critter troubles like this since that Alien bug thing was missing a hitbox larger than a pixel.

I like how they dash towards me, but a shotgun shell to the face doesn't even slow them - or even scratch them sometimes - and their attack range, whether animated or not, is too far. Like I said, these guys are usually trivial to deal with and it's rare I get hit. Note: I've actually tested this while in Godmode to be sure, and they can hit me from 5 metres away - 2 to 3 full Large Blocks - with ease. So, jetpack jumping over them is less effective as they can hit you mid-air when, strictly speaking, you are well out of range. Was something changed?

Scoob.

14. pokkits

pokkits Ensign

Hello,

I'm finding something strange when setting up a dedicated server using EAH and wondering if this is a misconfiguration on my part, or just a bug due to A12:

When I start a completely new game (all save games and game data wiped and updated to A12), the server does not have either Robinson Protocol or any PDA missions (except Team missons, those appear). No Talon, Zirax, Solo, etc.. tabs appear in the PDA.

I've tried wiping and loading different scenarios (Dawn of Galaxy, Default Multiplayer, and Akua-Omicron).

Is this a limitation of the current EXP dedicated server or did I goof up somewhere?

Thank you!

15. Pantera

Pantera Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Have you tried a new game using the scenario called 'Default Random' ?

16. pokkits

pokkits Ensign

That did it. Thank you very much!

17. stevenc

stevenc Ensign

love the updates. couple of issues I've had so far.

First, on start planet system, both me and one of my friends had an issue when entering in to the moon, the game loaded in back on the starter planet. I forgot to record log data for this, but if it happens again I'll take a screen shot.

Other issue I'm having right now, is dealing with blueprints. Zacosium alloy uses 5 Zacosium ingots and 5 Erestrum ingots to craft. But when I put a Zacosium alloy in to the blueprint, it only counts as 1 of each instead of 5 of each.

So far thats the only real issues I've had to deal with. I had another where i disconnected from my server in space while flying, and when loaded in i was 4.5 km from my ship. This one I chock up to latency with the disconnect. Still funny how the ship moved forward but i didnt though xD It was a nice few minutes floating in space to catch it.

Keep up the good work, love how this game is coming along.

18. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

You're forgetting output ratio.
    5 Zascosium + 5 Erestrum = 5 Zascosium Alloy.
    Therefore, 1 Zascosium alloy = 1 Erestrum + 1 Zascosium. The game has it right.

19. Nerd01

Nerd01 Commander

Any decent space game should have at least Newtonian physics as much as possible, ships move in compliance to liquid dynamics in space is an insult to anyone even mildly interested in space. Its not like we are asking for proper orbits or relativistic gravity wells after all.

20. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Exactly. If there's a top speed due to engine limitations, fine. But any vessel should be able to get there... eventually

A good game mechanic then would be that to warp, you must be a certain distance from a planet. The question then becomes, will that heavy freighter lumber across that line before the pirate fighters catch up to it?

Eleon: "SVs have no need for turrets. It would be imbalancing somehow or other"

o_O