DEV BLOG Alpha 12: Part II - CPU and Flight Model

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hummel-o-War, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Hi Galactic Survivalists!

Welcome back to Part II of our Alpha 12 feature update dev blog!

While you have read through the first part of this blog, you might have wondered what's added to the game besides the galaxy feature.

Of course there is a lot of code work going on on other elements as well, ranging from adding new features to the ModAPI, the Terrain Editor Settings, down to refactoring code elements and fixing and streamlining settings.

One of those topics has been CPU in conjunction with the new Flight model. The following might be interesting for a lot of players and all the forum discussions on that topic.

RotationSensitivity.jpg

To start with, we will aim for a few balancing changes.

Examples:
    • Cut CPU cost on SV and HV RCS by 40% to make it more workable for small builds and on game start
    • Tier 4 for HV will be increased (planned from 70k to 100k)
    • Thruster CPU Cost rebalancing: Larger thrusters are planned to be more CPU-efficient than their smaller versions.
    • Materials/Items/Devices in containers will get a storage bonus, in terms of a 50% mass reduction when computing max speed of the ship (the mass of the vessel will remain the same)
    Further improvements of the flight model ( fixing issues with drag and lift calculations ) and smaller, additional up- and down balancing of CPU cost aside, we also plan to make a few more in-depth changes on these feature(s) themselves.
    • Per-Axis Torque setting
      With Alpha 12 you will get three sliders in the Control Panel > Statistics tab to adjust the Torque of your vessel. One slider for each axis.

• CPU Tier Buffs
      Unlocking a CPU Tier will add benefits. The same way overshooting the CPU count is penalized, we might give you certain buffs or bonuses when reaching a new tier. For example we already internally added a 5% speed up on the booster reload time for every new CPU tier level. We are of course open to your suggestions on this topic!

• CPU Tier 5
      We currently discuss an expansion of the Tier System - starting with Capital Vessels. The approach is currently not yet decided, but will be referred to as “Tier 5” (whether it is a real CPU Tier or something different)
    We are looking forward to your thoughts! :)

This has been a little bit more condensed on only one topic. Expect more dev blogs about the other topics later this week!

Until then, take care. Read you soon.
    Empyrion Dev Team

PS: Do not forget to participate in our GAME SURVEY 2020! http://survey.empyriongame.com/

---
    Alpha 12 dev blogs history:
    - Part I - The Galaxy: https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-part-i-the-galaxy.92249/
    ---

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    elgranfoca, ion_storm, Maris and 24 others like this.
  2. Supay

Supay Captain

Alpha 12 is looking great and love the blog updates! I want to get back to building but waiting to see what is added with the new changes but also wondering if any new deco or function pieces for SV or CV's in alpha 12 by chance?

3. Cluascorp

Cluascorp Commander

4. Hellion

Hellion Commander

I've been fooling around with some SV builds under the current public release and I have to say, I wish we had tiered thruster performance models rather than just sizes and appearances. for example, small, medium and large would each have a tier 1, 2 and 3 version. each tier would need rarer resources to build but you'd get more thrust with a higher tier model within the same block space. essentially allowing a vessel of the same size to have different performance levels based on which thruster tiers you're running. similar to the T1 and T2 RCS for CVs. it feels very difficult to get a strong level of performance while also keeping the design both compact and tanky.

the roll control often feels far different from the rest of the performance of the ship. I often feel like I either have far too much or no where near enough roll torque. I'm looking forward to a slider that will allow me to dial that in.

how much do wings, rudders and aerofoils (and their placement around the craft) affect in-flight manueverability, if at all? some of my ships feel more like a flying saucer, able to move in any direction well, while others feel like an airplane which is only really good at going one direction quickly. is there any way to correct this with design shape and wing placement or is it mostly just controlled by thruster location?

Reznik75, Foxgirl, Cleff and 4 others like this.
  5. Track Driver

Track Driver Captain

Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut, as can be seen by the fact that I finished in English. Be that as it may, I am hoping that along with these new developments/enhancements, a more detailed and organized description of how it all works will be forthcoming.

6. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Let me ask this as thought-through and polite as possible:

Materials/Items/Devices in containers will get a storage bonus, in terms of a 50% mass reduction when computing max speed of the ship (the mass of the vessel will remain the same)

Why will this be taken into consideration and thought off but not the change from max speed to max Thrust/Acceleration reduction?
    Let Weight and Volume have only an impact on how fast you can reach max speed instead of bogging down max speed to a snail pace.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Foxgirl, Kieve, Track Driver and 16 others like this.
  7. Beasthammer

Beasthammer Lieutenant

Builders... all I see :D Guess im gonna wait for the next update?? :D

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  8. Hellion

Hellion Commander

i can actually see this reasonably effecting both. the same car with more weight has lower acceleration and a slightly lower top speed.

9. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

that would be with the effects of gravity and air drag on a planet or moon, both are negligible in space.

Kyodai, zztong, Needleship and 5 others like this.
  10. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Good question. At least it's less penalizing now but I still wish they wouldn't cap max speed.

11. hound

hound Captain

What exactly is the purpose of making SV's unflyable? I have a micro SV and it does not work under any of the current flight models.
    With RCS it turns and rolls constantly, without RCS, it turns like the Queen Mary.
    I do not want to hear about putting thrusters in places that are not places, I want to know why I can't fly the simplest SV.

12. Bronco40

Bronco40 Lieutenant

Numbers still in decline . All this CPU talk . Many people have quit playing due to CPU . Many Servers have disabled CPU . But Dev's keep pushing it ? Not sure where this game is going any more with all these restrictions

13. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Seems they are improving this:

14. Máethorel

Máethorel Ensign

All of this is GREAT - particularly looking forward to what you come up for handling devices/CPU for large CVs!

Tyrax Lightning and Germanicus like this.
  15. Hellion

Hellion Commander

yeah you're right. max speed in space would be much higher, technically unlimited i guess but for game purposes yes, max speed in space should not be affected.

16. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

I'm glad this is at least being reduced, but it feels like you are applying a bandaid fix again as opposed to actually fixing the problem at it's core.
    Materials inside my storage containers don't change the dimensions of the craft at all, so it's not adding in air resistance or anything. It makes zero sense for it to reduce my overall top speed. Especially if I'm in space.

I can kind of understand it on a planet or moon IF the planet or moon has an atmosphere, but only if it's at most maybe a max of 10m/s reduction of top speed or something like that. Any more than that just doesn't make sense at all.

What really needs to be done is we need a realistic acceleration model and values and then added mass should ONLY affect acceleration.

You can reduce the percentage all you want, if it's still possible for me to be stuck with a max speed of something stupid like 12m/s again in space then it's beyond broken still.
    It really saddens me that we are even still discussing this.....

17. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Can't help it but I keep being remembered by this whole Acceleration/Speed-Debacle of this ->

:rolleyes:

18. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

Just a random thought. With all the massive amounts of new systems and planets, the alien life and plants might become repetitive like: [Insert procedural space game here]. Has it been considered to allow the players to fill in the gaps? I mean as a user it would be awesome to have a steam workshop available to me where I can pick and choose all kinds of things to add to my game. From creatures, to plants, to spaceships, to factions... etc... all created by the players.

Just think this would be worth looking into since there will now be endless places to explore but possibly no reason to go and see.

Me ideal game world would look like this:
    about 500 star systems to explore with the option to change what I find, including percentages of life, what factions and things like that. I would also need some kind of goal to be honest. Like:
    • wipe out a particular faction
    • find and rescue someone. Use clues to follow the bread crumbs
    • Help a particular faction win a war against another
    To name a few examples.

All this inside a naturally evolving space. Factions actually competing for resources, enemy factions actively searching for the player. All packaged a newly overhauled more realistic combat experience. Trust me I know that's asking for much.

Foxgirl, grg3d, Track Driver and 2 others like this.
  19. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  20. mike me

mike me Commander

What kind of universe is it that you can't travel freely from planet to planet with out getting on a dead end trail or have to back track to goto other planets? This whole CPU thing has really hurt this game. Let's plays on YouTube have all but disappeared. The only really interesting let's plays are Project Edan ones. Which the Devs should really look at for playable ideas.

Is this going to be another in a long line updates that kills games now being played?

In my mind, so many updates have been setup to cost the player resources and slow down game process. It's like the devs use the above tactic to breath more play time into a game.