DEV BLOG Alpha 12: Part III - Content & Convenience

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hummel-o-War, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Hi Galactic Survivalists!

Today, while the developers are heavily at work with the galaxy generation, NPC dialogues and such, we will talk about some of the more global content and convenience updates.

Global Updates
    • Lots of POI updates, that should have made it to A11 already, like dust and snow versions, fixes on signals and triggers etc pp.
    • Multitool: now works with UNDO in Creative mode
    • Projectors can have a background layer
    • Removed Alien01 and Spiders from starter areas (Crashsite and starter area)
    Feature Updates
    • Inventory Sorting (alphabetically, item type, food points, mass and volume)
    • Increased Stacksize (up to 4000 per stack; Stacksizes are derived from item mass)
    • Player Turrets can now be used on any NPC Faction POI (without having to cheat in ammo and ammo boxes!)
    Sorting.jpg
    (Sorting Options)

There are of course more interesting changes coming with Alpha 12, for example the new SPACE POI DEFENSE mode: Meet the renewed Polaris and Zirax Patrol Vessels, called in as reinforcements when you attack their orbital POI. We plan to do an own dev blog on this topic anytime soon.

ZiraxDestroyer.jpg
    (Zirax Destroyer)

On the ground Base Attacks, the Talon got a new building, the Talon Ziggurat, which will serve as a headquarter or ‘end boss' which, when beaten, will stop any planetary Base Attack from that NPC faction. The end of the Base Attacks is also now tied to a so-called ‘headquarter setting’ which any playfield designer can individually set to any POI. For example you do not need to use the Dronebase as a BA Attack-Stop for Zirax anymore, if you do not want to.

TalonZiggurat.jpg
    (Talon Ziggurat)

More content updates include:
    • Reworks are planned for other devices as well (Armor Stations, Warp Tanks etc; feel free to make other suggestions in the comments!)
    • We plan to rework the Alien Turrets and give them a consistent design appeal, f.ex for the Zirax
    • All-new Energy Turret for the (planned) Legacy Faction ships and POI
    • Adding Heavy Blast Doors (two sizes for now)

We’ll of course release more screenshots on the model and blueprints as soon as they near their completion.

BlastDoors1x2u1x1.jpg
    (Blast Doors, Size 1 and 2)

SuitO2StationsSVHV.jpg
    (SV and HV O2 Station and Armor Locker)

What‘s on your wish-list in terms of this blog posts context, model updates and alike? ;)

Cheers,
    Empyrion Dev Team

PS: Do not forget to participate in our GAME SURVEY 2020! http://survey.empyriongame.com/

---
    Alpha 12 dev blogs history:
    - Part I - The Galaxy: https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-part-i-the-galaxy.92249/
    - Part II - CPU and Flight model https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-part-ii-cpu-and-flight-model.92276/
    ---

Attached Files:

2. Horten

Horten Lieutenant

Looks like A12 will be the most promising update in recent years. Very interesting, especially "Space POI Defense". I would like to hear more about this. Waiting for new dev blogs :)

3. Supay

Supay Captain

Keep up the good work! I am still hoping alpha 13 is water update... just saying... :rolleyes:

Ephoie, TK85, Tyrax Lightning and 6 others like this.
  4. Ramachandra

Ramachandra Captain

The blast door is a good idea, but what is the point for the constant model changes? With this effort each factions could have got there own distinct set long ago.
    I just arrive to a new galaxy light years away and Latin letters, human markings, Earthling devices greet anywhere I go. Great for immersion.

Tyrax Lightning and Germanicus like this.
  5. Andre Merrick

Andre Merrick Commander

More .. and MUCH larger Fauna... huge empty planets with the same animals.. over and over... :/

6. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

Will there be an in-game way for us to tell which POI we need to destroy to stop the attacks? Something like a special marking or character at the end of the HUD name possibly?
    Obviously players would still need to find the correct POI first and then get within range to see the HUD marker. I think it could be really helpful though, otherwise I can see this getting quite frustrating trying to find the specific POI needed to stop them.

Keep up the great work!

7. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    The name of the HQ is visible in your base statistics screen

8. krazzykid2006

That works too.
    I guess I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be that easy to figure out, hence the suggestion for the HUD icon attached to the name of the POI.
    Either way it's awesome to see this has already been considered.

9. roggab

roggab Ensign

About sorting. Create new option: No sorting
    This can help players)

10. EternalHeathen

EternalHeathen Commander

It feels silly, but, the new armor locker model has me super excited!

bluemax151, cp6891, dazkaz and 5 others like this.
  11. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

It is not silly at all. The old model was not real good and was likely more a placeholder. The greater detail here might be visually scattering and I am not sure how it will look in a nicely furnished cabin, but it is a better overall model.

12. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Am I the only one who feels a bit....strange about this ->
    Increased Stacksize (up to 4000 per stack; Stacksizes are derived from item mass)
    While I see the possibility to have lager Stacks of Stuff in CC's...for the Backpack its utterly useless - only if you do not play with M/v enabled.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Ephoie and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  13. krazzykid2006

Personally I wish it was even higher. I wish they would just increase basically everything to have 30k+ stack size, and I always play with v&m turned on.
    Just because the stack sizes have been increased doesn't mean I'm going to try to carry a stack of 4k combat steel blocks in my backpack. I'll link to a storage and put that stack in the virtual hotbar. That or I'll just split the stack down to what I need in my bag for other items.
    The reason why I wish the stack sizes were even higher is because we still have limited slots in our storage containers even with v&m turned on. I hate running out of slots before I run out of volume.

14. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Its useless for all who use M/V:(.

Ephoie and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. krazzykid2006

I don't agree. Higher stack sizes are extremely helpful for those of us that play with m&v on. It means we can take better advantage of our large modular storage containers. There were a LOT of times in the past I would run out of slots long before I run out of volume simply because of the old stack sizes.
    It's the very reason I mod the stack sizes myself currently.

It doesn't help with the backpack at all really, but it doesn't hurt it either. Just don't carry giant stacks on you and split them down.

16. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

It means you can actually use the full storage capacity of your containers now. With a stack size of 999 you'd often run out of inventory slots before you used all the available storage volume. With a higher stack size, you can put a lot more into each container, and it's easier to organize and view your inventory. :D

17. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Ok. i am outwitted by two master players. Thanks, as my almost 5000 hours in the game say almost nothing about knowing how much I can place into a container. Sure. Volume is all that counts.
    I am out of here. Uninstall now.

Game Uninstalled - unsure if coming back.

Have a nice time.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

:eek:

I definitely did not intend or think I did anything to insult or disrespect. All I can do is apologize if I did anything and wish you the best. Good luck out there and take care.

19. krazzykid2006

I really hope this is a joke :eek:. I know I certainly don't want to see you leave. You have valuable input around here.

If you are trying to say increased stack sizes is useless only for the backpack when v&m is on, then I agree with you. I don't think they are increasing it for that reason though. I think it's strictly to help with the issues we pointed out above with the modular storage and limited slot count.

20. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    The stacksize increase is mainly geared towards giving you more "room" in containers, because we cannot increase slots here infinitely.

xerxes86, GenghisBob, AlbaN and 10 others like this.